From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

That's where I'll agree to disagree. Really there is nothing else I can say. I don't think one attack out of millions of people means that this is a dangerous place. Now that an attack has happened, even though it is still not really a dangerous place, there needs to be clearly worded signs.
:banghead: It is not a dangerous place, but gators make it unsafe without warnings. Would you go in the Florida Everglades and sit in inches deep water? THe vast majority of people aren't going to make that connection.

Daveeeeed

The gator was wild, not an animatronic. Signs were posted and ignored.

So it's common sense that sharks are in oceans but in Disney it's NOT common sense not to know you aren't supposed to climb the Mexico pavilion at Epcot? Or purposely leave your seat belt off in Soarin' and Tower of Terror?

No. Stupid people will always exist. But just because you get the perception of Disney being care-free, safe and staying in a dream world doesn't mean you should let your guard down.
Signs were NOT posted. Where have you been all this time. A no swimming sign does not correlate to Alligators, and if you believe that, you seriously have to change your view. Just because you knew there were gators there does not mean that person over there will. It doesn't make you dumb if you don't know there are gators in there.

betty rose

Here's what I would like to know.

How many people visited Poly and GF since they opened.

Now take that number and do the math on number of guests vs one attack at Seven Seas Lagoon. Then tell me the odds.
Then tell me why you should be afraid.
I didn't say it was rational thought, just my thought. Crucify me if you want, at my age, I'm still afraid of reptiles.

FrankLapidus

so what are they gonna do? fence off the beaches? that would look terrible, sad to say, looks like the relaxing seat in the hammock on the beach at night is now a lost attraction.

In the long-term? Nobody can say for certain right now.

Disney have put up the fences in the immediate aftermath of what has happened. They had to, there was always going to be some form of precautionary response made in the wake of this incident and fences and signs are the simplest and most obvious measures to take.

No one knows how long the fences will be up for, no one knows what Disney might do in the long-term. They have said that their initial actions are a temporary measure for the timebeing while they look at this incident and determine what might have contributed to it and how best to respond to it.

So that scenario might not be lost forever. In the long-term they might settle for signs along the shoreline, they might decide they need to take further steps. At this point we can guess and make predictions but no one can really say for certain what Disney will decide to do

raven

Signs were NOT posted. Where have you been all this time. A no swimming sign does not correlate to Alligators, and if you believe that, you seriously have to change your view. Just because you knew there were gators there does not mean that person over there will. It doesn't make you dumb if you don't know there are gators in there.
Maybe they should just change the name of Bay Lake to "Lake Placid" then.

21stamps

:banghead: It is not a dangerous place, but gators make it unsafe without warnings. Would you go in the Florida Everglades and sit in inches deep water? THe vast majority of people aren't going to make that connection.
I feel ya on the head banging. I don't know how to do the cool emoji, but I'm doing the same trust me.

Anyway,

No. I wouldn't sit or walk or stand in water in the Everglades unless I'm on an airboat.
But--- I will visit people who live in Weston and seriously could have gators in their yard at any moment. I still will dive or snorkel in a freshwater lake. I still would walk on the water's edge of seven seas lagoon.

This isn't the first alligator attack. Not even on a child. I just can't explain anymore than that.

Blame Disney, don't blame Disney. At this point I don't care. But I don't want people to be afraid!

21stamps

I should say were are DVC member's and have gone there for years, this is the first time we have been threatened by a large snake. Was I scared, you bet I was. It's hard when you don't know if it's a poison snake or a common snake. We have seen many small snakes over the years, we were shocked, as this one was so big and aggressive. I will say, a C.M. saw our distress at art of animation, and offered us free water. She was very kind. The people at Disney, the C.M's are the best. We have always been treated with kindness. I will take some responsibility for not keeping up on Florida's conservation program to rebuild the alligator program. It looks like it was successful. We will be back to Disney in October, will I go near water, at night? As I'm old and pretty much night blind. No chance of that. I will try to get back to our hotel, after dark, and the very least carry a flashlight. It's not bad to know about the area, and do what seems like common sense. Carry flashlights, with them on, in dark areas. I assume nocturnal animals, don't like light.
Ok I'm glad :). Have a wonderful time!

Daveeeeed

Maybe they should just change the name of Bay Lake to "Lake Placid" then.
This happened in Seven Seas Lagoon, a place where it is man-made and they say that on the monorail. People don't associate that with the everglades which is where people unfamiliar with Florida think gators are. There are in-fact gator signs at the shades of green across the street, but those are legitimate swamps. The beach at The Grand Floridian is an inviting beach where people generally will not even think of gators. Maybe snakes, but not gators. Being that it is a beach is all the more reason that they needed warnings of them especially since there has already been an attack before.

betty rose

The gator was wild, not an animatronic. Signs were posted and ignored.

So it's common sense that sharks are in oceans but in Disney it's NOT common sense not to know you aren't supposed to climb the Mexico pavilion at Epcot? Or purposely leave your seat belt off in Soarin' and Tower of Terror?

No. Stupid people will always exist. But just because you get the perception of Disney being care-free, safe and staying in a dream world doesn't mean you should let your guard down.
They, Disney has recognized the threat, thus...new signs, warning about snakes and alligator's are on the beaches now. You have a disjointed argument.

betty rose

so what are they gonna do? fence off the beaches? that would look terrible, sad to say, looks like the relaxing seat in the hammock on the beach at night is now a lost attraction.
I think a waiver at check in, that is read by the guests and they signs are the right way to go to those uninformed. We were given information long in the past, and hadn't been updated.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

I feel ya on the head banging. I don't know how to do the cool emoji, but I'm doing the same trust me.

Anyway,

No. I wouldn't sit or walk or stand in water in the Everglades unless I'm on an airboat.
But--- I will visit people who live in Weston and seriously could have gators in their yard at any moment. I still will dive or snorkel in a freshwater lake. I still would walk on the water's edge of seven seas lagoon.

This isn't the first alligator attack. Not even on a child. I just can't explain anymore than that.

Blame Disney, don't blame Disney. At this point I don't care. But I don't want people to be afraid!
It is a choice to go scuba diving in a freshwater lake, normally also people would be aware that there is a risk as with anything, as in the ocean, but a shark big enough to kill you cannot attack you in ankle deep water. Of course this isn't the first gator attack, but there should've been warnings especially that it is a touristy place, that not only attracts floridians, but the world in masses. My point is that I really hope you agree with me that it being a beach with tourists most likely not even considering gators to be in there, that there should've been signs up warning of gators and Disney is the only one that has blame in this incident.

betty rose

Agree about the signs. We have walked that area many times, during the day. The signs just said no swimming, please. Which doesn't state a threat to me, except the water is dirty.

Daveeeeed

PLEASE READ THIS: I need everyone to understand this. @raven @21stamps
If a ride malfunctions and someone dies it is a freak incident, but you still can sue and get millions because Disney invited you to do it, and if there was a known error then you can win even more. If you the guest jump into another vehicle it is not Disney's fault, and you shouldn't sue or get any money IF THERE ARE WARNINGS to not stand or stick your hands, arms feet, and legs outside of the vehicle.
The Gator attacking the kid is a freak incident, but Disney still invited people to go onto that beach, and there were known gators in the water. If you the guest was to not listen to a sign (like no swimming) and they were swimming, then odds are they wouldn't have a case, but there was nothing warning of not basically putting your feet in the water due to alligators. Therefor they didn't do anything that they shouldn't have, and they can rightfully sue because of lack of warnings. If you guys still don't understand please understand that if there is not a warning for something known it is easy to sue someone and win. Same for plane crashes, automobile airbags with children in the front seat, and choking hazards on toys etc. Not to mention there are gator signs across the street at the shades of green, and Disney basically acknowledged that they needed it by putting it up in direct response.

betty rose

You aren't in any more danger now than you were then. I won't tell you how to do your vacation. I also won't say that when I look at the water that I won't think of what happened. Enjoy your vacation though! Take comfort in the odds, they are so slim!
Thank you, at my age it's very hard to not think about my own grandsons. It's not rational, and I hope to work through it, right now my emotions are too raw.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Agree about the signs. We have walked that area many times, during the day. The signs just said no swimming, please. Which doesn't state a threat to me, except the water is dirty.
I completely agree. My mom has literally gone to Polynesian front-desk/Concierge in the past telling them they need to post warnings about snakes (that was after we saw one when we were walking out of the Luau Dinner Show). No swimming does not have any relation to gators as much as it does snakes.

betty rose

That's where I'll agree to disagree. Really there is nothing else I can say. I don't think one attack out of millions of people means that this is a dangerous place. Now that an attack has happened, even though it is still not really a dangerous place, there needs to be clearly worded signs.
As I understand, conservation laws and Disney using many of their non public waterways, as a conservation area for native reptiles, has caused them to become today's issues. Too many, and no buffer between public and the conservation areas. Perhaps they could use new technology, as in a sound that people can't hear, but reptiles won't be around would be the way to go. I have no way of knowing. But, we have a sound device that spiders and bugs hate. No one can hear it. We had our younger neighbor's test it. I don't trust my old hearing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom