From Moderate to Deluxe!

real mad hatter

Hi everyone.Well I woke up Sunday morning,sorry Kris,but it's true,last night my DW agreed to splash the cash for our 2014 vacation and this Sunday morning I've been looking at AKL & WL. Just getting a feel of those two resorts and which one I think we hopefully will end up booking.My question however is,has anyone decided after staying at their favourite moderate to go for a deluxe and after when they came home,wish they hadn't bothered splashing the bucks.? Now it will be a 14 day vacation and I reckon looking at the 2013 prices for July that the difference will be around $3.400 more for deluxe over moderate,however the dining plan on deluxe ( if it's free ) will save us approx $2.500,so it's swings & roundabouts so to speak.How would you convince me to go for it,fling caution to the wind.;)

ParentsOf4

My question however is,has anyone decided after staying at their favourite moderate to go for a deluxe and after when they came home,wish they hadn't bothered splashing the bucks?
No, definitely no. We've done the Value-to-Deluxe or Moderate-to-Deluxe transfer a few times. Each time, the highlight of our vacations had been spending the last few days at one of the Deluxe Resorts. However, we typically spent only 3 nights at a Deluxe. To us, this was just enough to get a good taste of what it was like.

Upvote 0

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do it. Aside from the resort itself the transportation makes it worth it. The moderates all have 2,000+ rooms while WL is around 900 that's less than half the people waiting for a bus. It makes a big difference. plus it's just a boat ride to CR where you can hop the monorail to MK or EPCOT.

Since both of those resorts have DVC you could look into renting DVC points instead of paying cash rates. You would lose free dining, but it generally is a cheaper alternative to cash rates. For example the WL villas would be 214 points for a studio for 2 weeks this time next year. If you rent the points for $13 a point that's $2,782.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

I've done the exact same thing twice now but diverted back to POR at about 60 days out.

Last year it was BC.....had everything paid off, but then decided to go moderate and credit the $2400 savings to this years reservation...we never regretted the change as we had a great trip.

The big plus was that moving the credit to this November's trip we had it paid off in March, and were able to take a nice local vacation to Niagara Falls this past summer.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

If you can do it, do it! I have never been in WL, but a few years back we had dinner at Jiko, and that resort looked incredible...I'd do AKL for sure. From what I have been told by friends who had stayed there though is to not bother paying the extra for a Savannah view. I was told that there are so many lookout points around the resort that unless you truly want to wake up and hope an animal will be by your window, it's not worth the extra cost. Eat at Jiko while you're there as well...Best meal I've ever had a WDW.

Upvote 0
We love trying different resorts so have been doing split stays for the last several trips. Our next trip is at New Yrs, so first 3 days are at AoA in the mermaid rooms and then 3 at YC and ending with 3 at Poly. I would really like to try out all the resorts before the kids graduate, but our favorite is Pop Century. Just wish they had queen beds there. lol So if you are worried about the cost, maybe a split stay would work better for you. Disney will take care of moving your luggage and all for you and makes it fairly simple.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
If you can do it, do it! I have never been in WL, but a few years back we had dinner at Jiko, and that resort looked incredible...I'd do AKL for sure. From what I have been told by friends who had stayed there though is to not bother paying the extra for a Savannah view. I was told that there are so many lookout points around the resort that unless you truly want to wake up and hope an animal will be by your window, it's not worth the extra cost. Eat at Jiko while you're there as well...Best meal I've ever had a WDW.
Had a meal at Jiko in 2010 and it was the highlight of our adrs.:)

Upvote 0

MrsG

Moderate to Deluxe.... here's my theory! On returning back to the U.K from our magical 2wks stay at POR in July it woz time to start looking at booking our next trip (we've been staying at POR for 2 wks in July for the last 5 yrs) We thought about having a change of hotel in 2013 (even tho we love POR) & going from Moderate to Deluxe. After looking at AKL & WL and taking into account the different ambiences,dining facilities & amenities, we spend all day out and about at the Disney Parks, Universal, Seaworld etc and some evenings at DTD. As for the deluxe dining plan we struggled to use the QS meals this year as we don't eat that much altho we do use all the snacks of which theres only 1 for 2013. So IMO the extra money it would cost to go deluxe could be spent more wisely..... Like staying at POR for 3wks instead of 2wks at a deluxe. So we've booked thru the WDW site for 3wks in July 2013....Whoohoo can't wait, let Countdown begin. See you soon Mickey!

Upvote 0

DaGoof00

Stayed savanna view at AKL in 2005, it was absolutely beautiful. And I agree, Jiko is a fantastic restaurant! Enjoy the Deluxe resorts, whichever one you choose, make sure to take the time to just relax and enjoy it.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Moderate to Deluxe.... here's my theory! On returning back to the U.K from our magical 2wks stay at POR in July it woz time to start looking at booking our next trip (we've been staying at POR for 2 wks in July for the last 5 yrs) We thought about having a change of hotel in 2013 (even tho we love POR) & going from Moderate to Deluxe. After looking at AKL & WL and taking into account the different ambiences,dining facilities & amenities, we spend all day out and about at the Disney Parks, Universal, Seaworld etc and some evenings at DTD. As for the deluxe dining plan we struggled to use the QS meals this year as we don't eat that much altho we do use all the snacks of which theres only 1 for 2013. So IMO the extra money it would cost to go deluxe could be spent more wisely..... Like staying at POR for 3wks instead of 2wks at a deluxe. So we've booked thru the WDW site for 3wks in July 2013....Whoohoo can't wait, let Countdown begin. See you soon Mickey!
. Well there you go.It is a small world after all.We had our third trip this year,all in July,staying at PORS,for the third time.we did consider a three week stay but to be honest,after two weeks of 6.30am rises we were ready for home.We love riverside and always plan a two year gap between trips,the lure of a deluxe is something I want to try before I get too old to appreciate it.

Upvote 0

acrab3t

We stayed at AKL last November and loved it! Jiko's is our favorite signature and Boma is pretty amazing too. The pool is lovely and there are several hot tubs around. At night there is a night-vision experiance (FREE!) and the CM are mostly from Africa and will tell you anything you need to know about the resident animals. Sometimes you will find drummers or story tellers in the evenings. We got a complimentary upgrade to a Savanna view (didn't even ask for it). Even if you don't have a room with a view there are plenty of viewing spots with rocking chairs down the many hallways. Transportation is all buses but we never waited too long and they were not too crowded. We did go in off season so it was very quiet. It was nice to return "home" after a busy day in the parks. It was very relaxing. I wished I had longer to stay just a day exploring the lodge, we were only there for 4 nights. I have never stayed in a moderate but have stayed in a value. I still regret not upgrading. The crowds at the value were crazy! I have to say I am a bit spoiled when it comes to hotel stays (I work for a major hotel chain so I am very picky). I toyed with the idea of PORS for our next trip but a Deluxe won out. Yes, I would save money going with a value or moderate but I just want it all! If you can afford it, go for it! I have never felt guilty about splurging a bit. After working hard all year you deserve the ultimate vacation.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

Had a meal at Jiko in 2010 and it was the highlight of our adrs.:)

Jiko is really good! :)
75.gif

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
We stayed at AKL last November and loved it! Jiko's is our favorite signature and Boma is pretty amazing too. The pool is lovely and there are several hot tubs around. At night there is a night-vision experiance (FREE!) and the CM are mostly from Africa and will tell you anything you need to know about the resident animals. Sometimes you will find drummers or story tellers in the evenings. We got a complimentary upgrade to a Savanna view (didn't even ask for it). Even if you don't have a room with a view there are plenty of viewing spots with rocking chairs down the many hallways. Transportation is all buses but we never waited too long and they were not too crowded. We did go in off season so it was very quiet. It was nice to return "home" after a busy day in the parks. It was very relaxing. I wished I had longer to stay just a day exploring the lodge, we were only there for 4 nights. I have never stayed in a moderate but have stayed in a value. I still regret not upgrading. The crowds at the value were crazy! I have to say I am a bit spoiled when it comes to hotel stays (I work for a major hotel chain so I am very picky). I toyed with the idea of PORS for our next trip but a Deluxe won out. Yes, I would save money going with a value or moderate but I just want it all! If you can afford it, go for it! I have never felt guilty about splurging a bit. After working hard all year you deserve the ultimate vacation.
Cheers! Yeh we done the night vision after our meal,and yes,I agree about hotels.Iam a gold member with Hilton hotels and love the experience of lapping up the luxury.

Upvote 0

dave&di

We're on the flip side to your situation, we have only stayed at Deluxe Resorts (3 times) every 2 yrs, now we will be staying at Moderates every year, to gain more trips this is what we have to do, although I am sad to have to change the style and structure of our stay I can at least say I have stayed at a Deluxe Resort, I don't regret a penny spent.

Live a little, splash the cash just this once!

As I said before Look into my eyes........ Wild......er.......ness Lodge, Wil......der.......ness Lodge.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom