From Boxofficemojo.com. Is this a good opening?

tiaragirl

I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to get to see this.. heading home the 17th but our nearest theatre is about 1.5H away.. and in the winter it's a bit of a sketchy drive.. and I can't see the BF agreeing to go :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's not bad for the first weekend, coming in the midst of Hanukkah and the Christmas shopping madness. Besides, Disney is counting on a long holiday season to keep the ticket sales alive....

Captain Hank

I guarantee it won't do anywhere as good as Avatar next week. And probably the week after. Just saying.
Would there be a lot of crossover in terms of audience? I honestly know next-to-nothing about Avatar, but it doesn't seem to cater to the same audience.

Edit: just did some looking on IMDB at various 2-D animated Disney opening-weekend grosses. $25 million is...not so good.
Further Edit: Okay, went back and realized I was looking at the wrong sets of number. $25 million is okay. Not incredibly spectacular, but still okay.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Avatar and Princess are two totally different things, it won't hurt Princess one bit.

As I said before... this is a good opening, it's gonna have great legs, and it's definitely passing $100m+. Movies don't have monster openings in December cuz they do great business during the weekdays and stuff. Cut the "doom and gloom."

dxwwf3

I think Avatar will cut into Frog's business. Avatar is going to be really big, IMO and will cut into the young boy audience that might have otherwise been taken to see Frog. Avatar doesn't appear to be very kid friendly, but I saw it on Happy Meal boxes today. Frog could pass $100 million, but it isn't a guarantee. Personally, I'm waiting until Blu Ray to see it because I don't have time to go to the theaters much right now and Avatar is the only thing I'll be seeing for the rest of the year.

radiohost

Terrible opening....

You can deny it all you want but Bob Igers office is going to be a place I don't want to be Monday Morning...Reason for a bad opening week? I dont know, but let's not try to sugar coat, its not a good opening weekend for an animated feature.

Captain Hank

Variety seems to think that the total is an okay figure:

Variety.com said:
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" leapfrogged over the competish to top the domestic box office, grossing an estimated $25 million from 3,434 theaters in a solid start for the traditionally animated pic.

Opening in a handful of market overseas, "Princess" grossed $7 million for a worldwide total of $32 million

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Terrible opening....

You can deny it all you want but Bob Igers office is going to be a place I don't want to be Monday Morning...Reason for a bad opening week? I dont know, but let's not try to sugar coat, its not a good opening weekend for an animated feature.

:rolleyes: There are only four 2D flicks with a higher opening - The Lion King ($40m), Lilo & Stitch ($35m), Tarzan ($34m), and Pocahontas ($29m). In today's world, 2D is not going to give you the $68m Up made in 3 days. Not only that, but it's DECEMBER - the month of legs. Many, many films have smaller openings and grow through the holidays before playing well into the typical dead zone of January. Small example - The Emperor's New Groove opened around the same time in 2000. Opening weekend? A mere $9.8m. That total OW in the summer is gonna give you a flick finishing in the $30-40m range, but it went on to make $89m total. And this one has a couple things going for it - the return to 2D, wonderful reviews, a market with nothing else going after kids right now outside of A Christmas Carol, etc. - that'll keep it going strong into the New Year.

If you can't take my word, take the word of the folks at a few box office forums I'm apart of. Everyone's saying it's a great start and it's well on it its way to $100m+. These people know what they're talking about. Everyone needs to quit with the "Z0MGZ that's it for 2D!!!!!1!!!" crap and just wait and see where this heads. I can tell you it'll be a good number.

1DisneyDad

Original Poster
We did not have time to go see it and won't until after X-Mas. I'm sure it will hang around long after the Holidays but I thought it would do better.

Captain Hank

:rolleyes: There are only four 2D flicks with a higher opening - The Lion King ($40m), Lilo & Stitch ($35m), Tarzan ($34m), and Pocahontas ($29m). In today's world, 2D is not going to give you the $68m Up made in 3 days. Not only that, but it's DECEMBER - the month of legs. Many, many films have smaller openings and grow through the holidays before playing well into the typical dead zone of January. Small example - The Emperor's New Groove opened around the same time in 2000. Opening weekend? A mere $9.8m. That total OW in the summer is gonna give you a flick finishing in the $30-40m range, but it went on to make $89m total. And this one has a couple things going for it - the return to 2D, wonderful reviews, a market with nothing else going after kids right now outside of A Christmas Carol, etc. - that'll keep it going strong into the New Year.

If you can't take my word, take the word of the folks at a few box office forums I'm apart of. Everyone's saying it's a great start and it's well on it its way to $100m+. These people know what they're talking about. Everyone needs to quit with the "Z0MGZ that's it for 2D!!!!!1!!!" crap and just wait and see where this heads. I can tell you it'll be a good number.
Some encouraging thoughts from Rotten Tomatoes, backing up what you said:

RottenTomatoes.com said:
In a cartoon world ruled by computer animation and 3D wizardry, Disney went old school with its traditionally drawn pic The Princess and the Frog which won the box office crown with an estimated $25M this weekend. Following two weeks of exclusive play at solo theaters in New York and Los Angeles, the G-rated tale set in 1920s New Orleans won over kids with a powerful $7,280 average from 3,434 theaters. Kidpics rarely break $20M on opening weekend in December unless they bow over the Christmas holiday frame. With holiday shopping and other activities becoming a top priority, parents often become less available for moviegoing at this time of year, but invade the multiplexes in large numbers come the 25th.

dxwwf3

Well the 50% drop in weekend number two is a fairly large one, but there was a one-two punch that really couldn't have been avoided: The Weather and Avatar.

To almost nobody's surprise, Avatar really cut into PatF's 2nd weekend and if my theater was any indication, there are a LOT of kids interested in seeing Avatar. My crowd was almost like a Pixar movie was playing. Next weekend is when we find out if PatF has a chance to cross $100 million. Another 50% drop and it won't make it. But hopefully the weather in the East will improve and the drop won't be as steep.

I'm hoping that PatF becomes a big enough hit to where they continue hand drawn animation, but luckily it doesn't look to be a big enough hit to where they will be putting a permanent attraction into the parks (possibly replacing something original and classic).

imagineer boy

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't give it it's wide release over Thanksgiving. That would've made much more sense rather than the weekend before the opening of Avatar. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom