French Quarter or Riverside?

me_stitch

Premium Member
Need some suggestions. We are planning on staying at Port Orleans for our trip next year. We loved CBR last time we wen't but we want to try different resorts each trip. I was all set on Riverside but then some friends of ours just got back from DW and they stayed at French Quarter and said they like it better than Riverside. SO, after researching them both a little more I thought maybe we would just stay at Coronado, but then I noticed it was a couple thousand dollars more (anyone no why that is when they are all moderate resorts?), so I'm back to the French Quarter or Riverside decision. Help me out here.

Mukta

How many people do you have in your group?
I have only stayed in POFQ, but I liked it. The rooms were fine for 2 people and the buses picked us up before stopping at Riverside. I don't know if that has changed.

Upvote 0

Rob562

If you're pricing out a room online at Coronado, make sure that you're comparing the same room type as at Port Orleans. There are more room choices at Coronado because it's a convention hotel, so you'll get things like a "deluxe" or a suite listed. The WDW website will often pre-select one of those more-expensive options when there are many cheaper choices. (Or perhaps all of the cheaper choices are sold out)

-Rob

Upvote 0

rainfully

I've said it a zillion times and I'll say it again... FRENCH QUARTER!! The resort itself is much smaller... closer walk to the lobby... only one bus stop... etc. etc. And it is usually pretty quiet. No quiet pools but you can always walk or boat over to Riverside to use one of theirs. I do find the Mardi Gras theming a bit off-putting... especially the creepy masks in the food court... but I'm willing to overlook that for all the other great things the resort has to offer!

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Riverside - I like the multiple bus stops, nothing is too far of a walk to the main area, and Bob Jackson playing in the bar makes this a number one resort for me!

I also like how the rooms feel more intimate...in FQ theyre all situated in large buildings, at Riverside, they're in small "house" looking buildings.

Upvote 0

TxNewsies

We LOVE Riverside! It was so calming and relaxing. We loved our walk every morning to the food court along the water. It truly has the feeling of being along the Mississippi during the time of Mark Twain. We loved the food court - plenty of food options and we enjoyed our dinner at Boatwrights. We are going back this December.

Upvote 0

drossjr

We LOVE Riverside! It was so calming and relaxing. We loved our walk every morning to the food court along the water. It truly has the feeling of being along the Mississippi during the time of Mark Twain. We loved the food court - plenty of food options and we enjoyed our dinner at Boatwrights. We are going back this December.

totally agree with you! have fun

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

We are booked at POFQ for Oct 22-29. This is our first time at a moderate so we are hoping for a good experience since we stayed two other times at deluxe's. I am wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations on room requests for POFQ since we are not familliar with the resort.

Upvote 0

bamillerpa

We love Riverside! I think it's the next best thing to a Deluxe. I like it better than French Quarter because the buildings are beautiful and it has a great food court and full service restaurant which FQ is lacking. My kids also liked the pool better at Riverside.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Love, love LOVE French Quarter! As said before, it is smaller than other resorts, so nothing is a far walk. Only one bus stop, and buses usually stop here first for pick up and drop off. MK has a dedicated bus, other parks share buses on both sides of Port Orleans resort. Either place you stay, you have the nice boat ride to DTD, and the walk between the two resorts is beautiful.

As far as room reccomendations, you really can't go wrong. I have learned however, to request a room not overlooking a parking lot. Build. 4 is closer to the food court. We've had two different rooms in bldg 5. Our fav. was 5135, back in a quiet corner by a large lawn the kids could run across and hunt lizards in. The other was on the other side of the bldg. I was nervous, because it overlooked the pool, but (maybe because we were on the 2nd floor?) we didn't hear any noise from it. I would reccomend against paying extra for a waterview. Waterview does not mean you are paying extra for a view of the river. You may have paid extra for a glimpse of a fountain or the pool.

Which ever side you end up, make sure you try the begneits!:wave:

Upvote 0

DougK

Port Orleans Riverside is our favorite non-deluxe resort. My wfe and I don't like the French Quarter look so much. We like the mansions at POR better than the Alligator Bayou section.

Upvote 0

dorothy_l

Here's my opinion
Riverside is the better option if you request a building close to the food court...reason is you are close to the first bus stop and dont have a long walk to the food court, transportation, pool, and entertainment...Riverside is beautiful and quiet...there are multiple bus stops so much better chance at getting on a bus to the parks....

French Quarter is smaller and much easier to get around however, they only have one bus stop so everyone from the resort itself will be using that one bus stop....which you will be competing with everyone else to get on....

They both have an awesome ferry boat ride that takes you to downtown disney which hands down is much better than Coronado or any other moderate hotel..

I have stayed at both several times and either one is better than Coronado but if I had to choose...I would lean to Riverside,ONLY if i get a room close to the lobby and food court....

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

tonynull

Here's another vote for Riverside! It is a little bigger but it feels a lot more like a resort then a motel.

Lush grounds...great food court...Yeehaw Bob...quiet pools...serene surroundings! Plus you can visit FQ anytime you want.

Upvote 0

Tidbit

just putting my vote in for Riverside. I'm from "Nawlins" that's New Orleans for those who didnt know that.....anyway I think that FQ side is great,and really makes me feel like I'm home, but it is small and busier. Just look at it this way you can stay at riverside, and it's just a short walk over to Vieux Carré aka French Quarter were you can have Beignets!!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom