Free WiFi at the world

bhg469

I have an EVDO card in my lappy... I don't need no stinkin wifi :D

And I have a backup GSM PC card as well that I can use.

Thats the winner right there! My work phone has a teather plan so thats how i roll but man is that stuff fast.

JML42691

...I wonder if apple still sells the isight cameras that aren't built in. My mom has one for her much older mac and that would probably be much easier to use for that sort of thing than the built-in isight...
No, Apple discontinued those external cameras about 2 months ago. Most likely because they are rumored to be updating their external displays to have the iSight camera built into the displays at their Conference in San Francisco in 2 weeks.

jakeman

Just to chime in here with the price complaints. As a business traveler, $9.95 is pretty standard. I've run across anything from free to as high as $29.95 for 24 hours of access.

One thing I have consistently noticed is that the lower the hotel chain the more free perks you get for staying there. Free Wi-Fi and breakfast at Hampton Inn, no perks unless you have status at Westin.

As some other posters have said, it doesn't bother me because I am usually completely unplugged on vacation. However, I just wanted to point out the $9.95 per 24 hours is pretty standard and in no way Disney price gouging.

blackjakkal

2 cents about WiFi

For some people free WiFi is something that is highly useful and valuable. It allows the chance to connect to the internet from many convenient locations. Walt Disney has shown that is cares for the needs of their guests. In considering free WiFi for WDW the question that was most likely asked "Is offering free WiFi good for the guests at the parks in WDW?"

Would free WiFi allow you to get more from what you paid for?

It is not common to find public WiFi at a theater. The experience of going to the theater is the ability to enjoy the atmosphere and focus on the audio and visual experience. A WDW park has been designed as a visual and audio experience much like a theater. With ideas of cast members, backstage, and the Show being implemented every WDW park is akin to a theater experience. Could someone who paid for a theater experience obtain such a experience better with the ability to logon to web site like myspace? When purchasing a audio and visual experience could you gain the most out of your money by spending forty minutes to chat with someone online? By offering free WiFi some people would miss out on the audio and visual experience they paid for.

Could WDW guarantee WiFi security?

The campus of Boise State University recently ran a test with its free WiFi service. With a system that was implemented with basic security was infected with one hundred and twenty malware programs within a hour of using the campus WiFi. A test for activity was also conducted and found that illegal file sharing, online gaming, ography, VOIP phone, and malware dumping was happening daily. An audit for wireless access points was implemented finding two wireless access point that were setup to fool students into using them. All this was found on a small campus with only about eighteen thousand students. Park attendance can reach from forty to sixty thousand a day, would you feel safe with that many other people using the network around you? It is not difficult to find packet intercepting applications or packet sniffers. With Walt Disney unable to legally guarantee security in a high traffic area like WDW could leave many guests easy targets for predators.

Do guests using laptops increase the atmosphere of WDW parks?

If free WiFi was implemented at WDW parks it would encourage people to bring their laptops to a very public area. With a family oriented parks could WDW make sure all guests with laptops keep it that way? Would you feel comfortable if someone next to you with a laptop plays a R rated movie? A U-tube video of cow getting blown up? What happens if they start playing ography? If laptop usage becomes more widely used the family oriented atmosphere of the parks could disintegrate.

Is offering free WiFi good for the guests at the parks in WDW?

Offering free WiFi does not improve the experience offered by the WDW parks. Free WiFi could distract guests from the highly detailed experience they paid for. By offering free WiFi loitering would increase as guests setup camps at benches and in restaurants reducing traffic flow and availability of seating. If Walt Disney offered free WiFi at parks they would reduce the very service they primarily offer, the magic that is Disney.

On a personal note

Free WiFi does not make money. You would chiefly use free WiFi as draw for businesses you expect people to sit around for a extended time. At WDW parks you don’t expect people to sit around for that long. They are there on vacation to go around and explore. I do not think Disney would want to encourage people to sit around all day. Being a former coffee shop hound like myself you could view people buy one cup of coffee and sit around for like seven hours. That wouldn’t be good for business. Since I want Disney to remain profitable and continue to be in business I hope they never ever allow free WiFi at the parks. At the resorts sure but at the parks I hope not.

(warning attempt at humor)
The thought of distraught teenagers sitting along benches on Main Street blogging about their tortured lives and how lame their family WDW vaction is fills me with dread for humanity.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
For some people free WiFi is something that is highly useful and valuable. It allows the chance to connect to the internet from many convenient locations. Walt Disney has shown that is cares for the needs of their guests. In considering free WiFi for WDW the question that was most likely asked "Is offering free WiFi good for the guests at the parks in WDW?" ]

Would free WiFi allow you to get more from what you paid for?

It is not common to find public WiFi at a theater. The experience of going to the theater is the ability to enjoy the atmosphere and focus on the audio and visual experience. A WDW park has been designed as a visual and audio experience much like a theater. With ideas of cast members, backstage, and the Show being implemented every WDW park is akin to a theater experience. Could someone who paid for a theater experience obtain such a experience better with the ability to logon to web site like myspace? When purchasing a audio and visual experience could you gain the most out of your money by spending forty minutes to chat with someone online? By offering free WiFi some people would miss out on the audio and visual experience they paid for.

The campus of Boise State University recently ran a test with its free WiFi service. With a system that was implemented with basic security was infected with one hundred and twenty malware programs within a hour of using the campus WiFi. A test for activity was also conducted and found that illegal file sharing, online gaming, ography, VOIP phone, and malware dumping was happening daily. An audit for wireless access points was implemented finding two wireless access point that were setup to fool students into using them. All this was found on a small campus with only about eighteen thousand students. Park attendance can reach from forty to sixty thousand a day, would you feel safe with that many other people using the network around you? It is not difficult to find packet intercepting applications or packet sniffers. With Walt Disney unable to legally guarantee security in a high traffic area like WDW could leave many guests easy targets for predators.

Do guests using laptops increase the atmosphere of WDW parks?

If free WiFi was implemented at WDW parks it would encourage people to bring their laptops to a very public area. With a family oriented parks could WDW make sure all guests with laptops keep it that way? Would you feel comfortable if someone next to you with a laptop plays a R rated movie? A U-tube video of cow getting blown up? What happens if they start playing ography? If laptop usage becomes more widely used the family oriented atmosphere of the parks could disintegrate.

Is offering free WiFi good for the guests at the parks in WDW?

Offering free WiFi does not improve the experience offered by the WDW parks. Free WiFi could distract guests from the highly detailed experience they paid for. By offering free WiFi loitering would increase as guests setup camps at benches and in restaurants reducing traffic flow and availability of seating. If Walt Disney offered free WiFi at parks they would reduce the very service they primarily offer, the magic that is Disney.

On a personal note

Free WiFi does not make money. You would chiefly use free WiFi as draw for businesses you expect people to sit around for a extended time. At WDW parks you don’t expect people to sit around for that long. They are there on vacation to go around and explore. I do not think Disney would want to encourage people to sit around all day. Being a former coffee shop hound like myself you could view people buy one cup of coffee and sit around for like seven hours. That wouldn’t be good for business. Since I want Disney to remain profitable and continue to be in business I hope they never ever allow free WiFi at the parks. At the resorts sure but at the parks I hope not.

(warning attempt at humor)
The thought of distraught teenagers sitting along benches on Main Street blogging about their tortured lives and how lame their family WDW vaction is fills me with dread for humanity.

All very valid points.

I really don't think that WiFi is, at this juncture, a necessity for the average guest to enjoy their vacation. :shrug:

JML42691

All very valid points.

I really don't think that WiFi is, at this juncture, a necessity for the average guest to enjoy their vacation. :shrug:
Especially in the parks, I don't think that a decision to that would ever be made, nor should it be.

PoohsGang

All very valid points.

This quote has to be from a person who gets PAID VACATIONS, (let me clarify days away from work and there wages are still paid, that way there is no confusion as to what paid vacation is another example: paid leave of work)

Perhaps some of us on vacation are not on a paid vacation. Perhaps some of us pay for our time off. Perhap some need free wifi so they can work a litlle or check on work so we can have some money when we return from our unpaid vacation.

Example: I own my own business if I take a week off I lose that weeks earnings, plus I pay for the vacation, and I also have to pay for NON FREE INTERNET ACCESS.
Most people get the weeks vacation pay, therefore they only have to pay for the TRIP. Free Wifi DOES HELP ME HOLD DOWN THE FORT SO I HAVE A BUSINESS TO GO BACK TO !
I bring my laptop and need an internet coonection, if I didnt have that I couldnt make the money that allows me to afford Disney vacations.

bsandersjr

This quote has to be from a person who gets PAID VACATIONS, (let me clarify days away from work and there wages are still paid, that way there is no confusion as to what paid vacation is another example: paid leave of work)

Perhaps some of us on vacation are not on a paid vacation. Perhaps some of us pay for our time off. Perhap some need free wifi so they can work a litlle or check on work so we can have some money when we return from our unpaid vacation.

Example: I own my own business if I take a week off I lose that weeks earnings, plus I pay for the vacation, and I also have to pay for NON FREE INTERNET ACCESS.
Most people get the weeks vacation pay, therefore they only have to pay for the TRIP. Free Wifi DOES HELP ME HOLD DOWN THE FORT SO I HAVE A BUSINESS TO GO BACK TO !
I bring my laptop and need an internet coonection, if I didnt have that I couldnt make the money that allows me to afford Disney vacations.

My wife is in the same boat. She runs her own accounting company, and she will be doing payroll for a company while we are on vacation. She flip flopped about getting the wireless verizon internet card, but it's cheaper just to pay the $10/day for access than it is to sign a contract, and pay $50/mo. + card cost.

The only thing I do not understand is the big deal about Wifi at WDW. If they do make it available in all resorts, I think they will still end up charging for use.

I do not think it should be offered at the parks though.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Perhaps you missed one very important word here.

I said average.

No need to yell.

Have a magical day!

DisneyDefenders

Strange

Ever wonder why inexpensive hotels and small airports can offer free WiFi while the more expensive hotels and larger airports charge you $10 - $15 to connect? :shrug:

DisneyMusician2

Ever wonder why inexpensive hotels and small airports can offer free WiFi while the more expensive hotels and larger airports charge you $10 - $15 to connect? :shrug:

Because they can :brick:

They know they have you, and they are taking full advantage of the fact that you are there and want to use the net.

It is that little personal touch that lets a smaller business do more and be easier to work with.

JimboJones123

Sounds like the Wii/DS/Nintendo deal is almost done!!!

In Park DS WiFi with in park games!!!!

In Room Wii w/special VMK!!!!

Sounds like the next evolution of Pal Mickey.

Innoventions East will be a NintendoWorld.

dreamfinder

In most cases people who stay at the larger more expensive hotels (not at a destination like Disney) are staying on their company tab. The hotel knows that Joe Businessman needs to connect to his email, and will pay without thinking of it. I know that there are indeed people who stay at Motel 6, Red Roof, or what have you on the company tab, but on the average the people who stay in the expensive hotels can either afford it, or don't care cause they don't pay for it.

BadTigger

Its about bloody time, the last summer I was doing some War walking around the beach club villas and there was plenty of hotspots most were password protected and the ones that weren't didn't have internet access(probably for registers or any other wireless devices they use) or really horrible signal

don'tbugme

I wanted to point out

I wanted to point out that you're wrong, there's a spot in Disney with free wifi accessable to the public. It's at Hollywood Studios in the Shop till you Rock and is named Internet-TWDC

Wifi Info: http://bkite.com/04URF
Speed test results: http://bkite.com/04URN
Location of best signal: http://bkite.com/04URZ

I have found no other locations yet.
network travel nicole kidman almadina almonawara a report on lakshadweep about noralia in sri lanka abraj 2009 abraj 2009 arabic abraj 2009 in arabic abraj albayt abraj almadina almonawra abraj arab 2009 abraj arabic abraj in arabic language abraj zamzam abraj zamzam hotel abraj zamzam makkah putnam canada honeymoon al abraj 2009 on arabe al abraj in arabic al bayt tower al bayt towers al hasa cave in saudi arabia al hejra hotel mecca al madina al madina almonawara al madina almonwara al madinah old pictures al-hasa caves in saudi arabia alf lala almadena almonawara almadienh almonorh almadina almonawara almadina almonawara hotel in cairo almadina almonawara old pictures almadina almonorah photo almonora, saudi arabia amlaysia water park arabic abraj arunachal pradesh great indian desert asia travel forums azerbaijan landscapes azerbaijan landscapes photos azerbaijan work visa requirements azeri shaki wax museum in hong kong bangkok putnam bangkok robinson bangkok robinson departmentstore bangkok trip bbc wild china beatiful sceneries of turkey beautiful scenery from turkey beautiful scenery in the world beirut restaurant bangkok borsa turkey borsa turkey hotel borsa turkey hotels borsa turky hotels canada limo services cao yang lu market,shanghai cheap limo in canada conversation between hotels in arabic corporate limo service in canada desert in india map photo desert in west of india disney's four kingdoms dubai floating city dubai lily floating city dubai lily pad floating city dubai lilypad floating city east asia desert maps eiffel tower not with museum pass? elaf almadina floating cities dubai floating city dubai floating city in arabia floating city lily fotos al madena almonawara fotos da minha viagem a suiça from toronto to banff google map suzhou creek shanghai goy gol great indian desert great indian desert in india great indian desert map green land design havelock report indiamike having honeymoon in island in canada himaláje dovolenka honeymoon in banff canada honeymoon in victoria island hong kong mongkok postal code hong kong wax museum hotel abraj zamzam makkah hotel al-madina-almonawara hotel almadina almonawara hotel room in india hotel shanghai around tomorrow sqaure hotel zentral wiener neustadt hotels almadena hotels in borsa turkey hotels in himalaji hotels in uzungol city in turkey images of saudi arabia jeddha market in asia great indian desert maps the great indian desert pictures india north west desert map india vacation reports indian desert photo informe canada 2009 is lakshdeep andman nikobar in india kanday srilanka karlsruhe bus paris karst mountains in yangshuo kausani kausani photos kuala lumpur türk restaurant la madina almonawara lake moraine canada trip from toronto lakshadweep lakshadweep social networks langkawi aquarium langkawi aquarium picture langkawi dangerous fish langkawi mutiara 2009 langkawi nightclub photo lebanon gate lebanon trip leh อินเดีย lily floating city lily floating city map details lily island dubai lily pad floating city dubai lily pad floating city, dubai, united arab emirates lilypad floating city dubai lilypad floating city in dubai lilypad floating city in dubai photo limousine in vancouver locate indian deserts locate the great indian desert on the map longyang lu station shanghai madina almonawara malaysia telefreak malls of tourism map great indian desert map of great indian desert map of indian desert map of thar in northwest india map of the great indian desert map of the great indian desert in asia معلومات عن toronto zoo معلومات عن تورنتو في كندا صور ภูเขา หิมาลัย อินเดีย2009 โรงแรมmussoorie スプリングヒル オーランド

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Thats really no excuse for Disney. Plugging your computer into the internet is just as dangerous as using wifi. It really doesnt matter. Bottom line is you need your machine to be updated whether its over Wi-Fi or a hard cable (that disney does indeed offer). No network is going to be completely safe. You do the best you can with encryption and what not.

Those two fake wireless access points are a problem just about anywheres you go. You might even be able to go to disney right now and someone has a laptop going with the infection that displays those fake access points. Happens all the time at airports. Its quite surprising how many of these are going around. They do not piggyback onto the Wifi's network, they are infact their own access point. The are usually very obvious to tell apart as they say something silly like "FREE INTERNET CLICK HERE!!*!**!"

Im not saying WiFi at Disney is an easy job, or that it doesnt present problems. But there are real world examples of WiFi being offered on larger scales than WDW Resort. They have the resources if they choose to do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom