Free WiFi at the world

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok, I may be showing my ignorance here but...

What's the deal with the iPhones? They have internet connections through wifi right?

If you're wandering around surfing the internet on an iPhone aren't you in theory stealing someone else's bandwidth?

What's to prevent people with iPhones at Disney from using them?
While an iphone can hook up to a wifi connection it can also get the Internet much in the same manor as any other Internet capable cell phone.

mrerk

Premium Member
I did read somewhere that DVC members staying on points in a DVC resort will have free wired access in the rooms. Non members staying in DVC resorts and members paying cash will continue to pay the $9.95 per 24 hours rate. I think this begins 1/1/08.

kcw

I'm the only one in my clinic who knows how to do the job I do, so when I'm on vacation I still need to check my email at least once a day, and send instructions as needed to my co-workers.

yup I hear ya- I check the work email numerous times a day- even on vacation. And since my blackberry is being stupid and not sending my email to my phone, I'm probably going to cancel my email on it and just rely on my ipod touch- meaning I'll need Wifi! I would love to see it actually in the parks- not just in the resorts....

Believe it or not, the entire world will be running on free wireless access sooner than you think.

Think about all of the colleges and university's in our country (let alone on our planet) that are completely wireless. They cater to numbers of students over 40,000 in some places. It is not impossible and I highly doubt it would cost them a ridiculous amount of cash that they couldn't afford to spend.

Agreed- my university is the largest in the nation right now (51,000+ students just on the main campus) and we've got free wireless across campus- not only for students but for guests as well. On top of that, the entire city is completely wireless too.... And I think that Disney has more $$ to spend on that than my school!

dreamlives1984

Thanks for the tip guys but I actually wasn't logged into either of the networks WLANWDW and WLANTWDC. They were consistently on my network list, however are both password protected as you reiterated. The networks I was referring to, were free and unlocked. I don't recall the names of them but if I do happen to notice it again, I will surely fill you in.

DVC Members staying on points will recieve free in room internet access, not the wi-fi available elsewhere on property. This was announced at the DVC owners annual meetings. There were questions about wi-fi, but no definitive answer was given. As a DVC member I'm glad to see that the in room access is free, but we have to agree with others, I try to get away from the internet while on vacation. It will have a few advantages however, like making our "picks" during football season!

jt04

DVC Members staying on points will recieve free in room internet access, not the wi-fi available elsewhere on property. This was announced at the DVC owners annual meetings. There were questions about wi-fi, but no definitive answer was given. As a DVC member I'm glad to see that the in room access is free, but we have to agree with others, I try to get away from the internet while on vacation. It will have a few advantages however, like making our "picks" during football season!

Thanks for the information.

Disneyfan1981

I'm glad to hear this.....I'm staying on points for the first time in July and would love to be able to Flickr my photos and empty my camera when we get back to the hotel.
:sohappy:

bcuinohio

WiFi

That would be great. If nothing else, WDW should make INTERNET available for a more reasonable price. I am staying that the GF next November and for what the room cost, INTERNET should be included.

mrerk

Premium Member
That would be great. If nothing else, WDW should make INTERNET available for a more reasonable price. I am staying that the GF next November and for what the room cost, INTERNET should be included.

I agree. HSIA should be available for free in at least the deluxe resorts.

Wasn't the Contemporary experimenting with in room computers w/ HSIA?

JML42691

I agree. HSIA should be available for free in at least the deluxe resorts.

Although I was never able to use them (never stayed there), I believe that the computer's access was very limited and was like Disney had created their own operating system the way that the things were limited. I don't even think that there were any USB inputs or anything of the kind like it (for security reasons).

NX2I85

I don't understand WDW and HSIA. One can get free HSIA at the Motel 6 but not at WDW. What gives? I realize it's all about the bux, but still...

For me personally it doesn't matter because I usually unplug from the world when I'm at the World (laptop stays home; cell phone gets checked for message once per day) and I like it just fine that way.

mattfusf

Yes, the Contemporary has in-room computers with free HSIA, but only for that computer. With your own laptop, it still cost.

The machine boots up into a closed environment with request forms and resort info, but there is an "Internet" button that basically opens up an Internet Explorer window and you can get anywhere on the Internet.

I think I have a few more pictures of the actual interface, but this is what it looks like:

P1010414.JPG

--Matt

Laura

I have been vacationing with my family at Disney for the past two weeks. This trip, I have had my recently purchased Macbook with me the entire time. I carry it around and document my life everywhere else I go, why not Disney? I get a lot of strange looks from other guests while I record video live with iMovie or snap cool, different than the average photo, pictures with PhotoBooth. It's been exciting but it certainly makes things difficult as far as uploading these videos and photos directly to youtube, facebook etc...

That's bizarre. :ROFLOL:

I wonder if apple still sells the isight cameras that aren't built in. My mom has one for her much older mac and that would probably be much easier to use for that sort of thing than the built-in isight.

Kind of off topic. :lol:

PoohsGang

Free Wi Fi would be nice at WDW but not likely in the foreseeable future.

Disney offers Wi-Fi (high speed wireless Internet access) in the public areas of its convention hotels (see locations below).
Smart City is the service provider and offers 24 hour technical support. They can be reached by calling 407-938-HELP
Requirements: Wireless Interface Card (WIC) which can be purchased in the resort's business center
Price: $4.99 for the first 60 minutes or $9.95 for 24 contigious hours
Billing: Smart City bills the user via a secure credit card transaction thru the internet connection
Locations:
Disney's Boardwalk Reso
  • Convention Center Hallways/Common Areas
  • Resort Lobby
  • Main Swimming Pool Area
  • Concierge Lounges
  • Bellevue Lounge
Disney's Contemporary Resort -
  • Front Desk sitting area
  • 14th Floor Concierge sitting area
  • Outer Rim Bar
  • 1st Floor Convention Center Lobby
  • 2nd Floor Convention Center Lobby
  • Feature Pool
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort-
  • Main Hotel Lobby
  • Convention Center Lobby
  • Feature Pool
  • Francisco's Lounge
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa-
  • 1st Floor Lobby including the Tea Room
  • 4th Floor Concierge sitting area
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts -
  • Main Lobby (both resorts)
  • Concierge sitting area (both resorts)
  • Stormalong Bay Pool
It's not unusual for today's vacationers to bring a laptop along for the ride. In response to this, Disney is continually updating guest computer access at the resorts.
All of the Disney Resorts have High Speed Internet Access:​
Price: $9.95 for 24 contiguous hours charged to the room account.
Technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Requirements: A Local Area Network (LAN) cable or in-room connection.

For a complete list of available Wi Fi spots in the Orlando area visit:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/wireless.htm

Two other FREE Wi-Fi locations in the general area of Walt Disney World:
Dial-Up Access with a Laptop

All of Disney's resorts have data ports on the phones. If you want to access the Internet from your hotel room using the data port, you'll need a dial-up account. Remember that they'll charge you .75 each time you connect, even to a local or toll-free number. There is no charge for accessing your own ISP from the resorts. Be sure to get a local access number before your trip to avoid long distance charges.

Most other hotels near Walt Disney World do offer high-speed Internet access in at least some guest rooms. For a list of many of these hotels check here : http://www.mousesavers.com/otherwdw.html#internet

We were at Cont Resort 3 weeks ago not only did our room have fre internet it had a free computer also.8th floor not conciarge.

RiversideBunny

WDW should start making internet access free in the Deluxe resorts at least.

Even at the Moderate and Value resorts, the daily access fee should be more like $4.95, or $2.95, instead of $9.95.

Disney should be a leader in providing wireless internet access to its resort guests, given that it is a world leader in animatronics and innovative entertainment techniques.

The Disney web site has made great, and appreciated, improvements over the last few years. That same type of effort should now be put into making easy internet access for resort guests an extra perk of being at WDW.

:)

mattfusf

FWIW, the Swan/Dolphin frequently include HSIA as part of a group package. I've attended a few conferences at the Dolphin, and each time the fee was waived because I registered as part of the conference.

Depending on who is using it, the convention center area may also have free WiFi, but it changes depending on what the conference planners have setup.

--Matt

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom