Free Water

LSUmom4kids

Brita bottles...

We brought our Brita filter bottles and had no problems asking for free ice water and pouring it into our Brita bottles! I just hated throwing away those cute Mickey Mouse cups! Seems like such a waste (along with the mickey bags whenever you buy something!).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^^^ OK, how do you do that?? It's not listed in the color section that I have??

It's not listed, search these boards for "Invisible Text."

or just type in the following:
HTML:
[color=#E5F0FD]your text here[/COLOR]
Or search these boards for Invisible Text.

trendicoff

They do pay nothing for their soda right? So I am guessing nothing too. Dasani is made by Coca-Cola.

Ok, I'm not saying anything is cheap at WDW, but let's just be clear. Disney is provided the syrups for the soda for free, so in all the fountain drinks Disney just pays for the carbonated water and cups. However, they do have to buy all the bottled products from Coke.

Tom

Beta Return
Ok, I'm not saying anything is cheap at WDW, but let's just be clear. Disney is provided the syrups for the soda for free, so in all the fountain drinks Disney just pays for the carbonated water and cups. However, they do have to buy all the bottled products from Coke.

I REALLY find it hard to believe that Coke provides Disney with the syrup for free. REALLY CHEAP, sure, but not free. Any proof of this?

I've worked concessions at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indy 500, Brickyard 400, etc). They serve all Coke products. On Race Day alone, they move over 1 million bottles of Coke products (this isn't counting the rest of the month of May).

When it was fountain, they paid for everything (and the Coke plant is literally across the street). Now they serve all bottles, and pay less than $0.50 per bottle - but they still pay even though they have obscenely high volumes.

The kicker when it comes to concessions and "free" water is the cost of the cup. When I worked at the Speedway, and also a few times at the old RCA Dome in Indy, our volunteer groups were charged by the Commissary at the end of the day based on the inventory of certain things we stocked.

For example, we could dump bags of fries on the floor and not be charged because they only count and bill for the Fry Cups. Likewise, we could run fountain drinks through our fountains all day, but we couldn't give out free cups because they counted those.

The cup your "free ice water" is served in costs more than the soda they'd normally fill it with. It's common for concession style places to charge for tap water because they get charged by the commissary for the cups at the end of the day. I'm not saying this is how Disney does it, but it's how most stadiums do it.

Also, we were charged for bags of ice we used at some concessions, which is why we didn't hand out cups of ice or ice water to anyone unless we could actually SEE a health risk or first aid situation. At the Speedway, people would want to come fill up their coolers with ice, so we'd have to sell them a bag of ice. Talk about mad drunks!

Lastly, I personally enjoy the FREE water all around Disney's parks. It's dispensed out of those stainless steel cabinets hanging on walls near restrooms and high-traffic areas. :animwink:

SoupBone

Just scoop out a cup of water from Pirates or Splash Mountain. The smell is so unique due to the cleaning chemicals could you imagine the taste? :ROFLOL:

rbrower

Slightly off topic, but it goes along with the Pirates comment. I was at Huntington Beach in California about a week ago. There are numerous fountains, which isn't too exciting of a story. However, when I was walking by one, a man with a cup in hand jumped into one of the fountains while he was walking, scooped water into the cup, got out of the fountain, and then proceeded to drink the water. :lookaroun

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Slightly off topic, but it goes along with the Pirates comment. I was at Huntington Beach in California about a week ago. There are numerous fountains, which isn't too exciting of a story. However, when I was walking by one, a man with a cup in hand jumped into one of the fountains while he was walking, scooped water into the cup, got out of the fountain, and then proceeded to drink the water. :lookaroun

Those crazy Californians! :) :lookaroun

trendicoff

Sorry for the long delay. As for proof, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but the info comes from a food and beverage manager at Epcot. With regards to your example, remember what I said, that Disney still pays for all bottled products and I have no idea at what rate so it's possible that Coke makes up some profit there. I certainly don't see it as unthinkable that coke wouldn't make that tradeoff for exclusivity at the entire Walt Disney Resort with 10s of millions of guests each year.

I REALLY find it hard to believe that Coke provides Disney with the syrup for free. REALLY CHEAP, sure, but not free. Any proof of this?

I've worked concessions at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indy 500, Brickyard 400, etc). They serve all Coke products. On Race Day alone, they move over 1 million bottles of Coke products (this isn't counting the rest of the month of May).

When it was fountain, they paid for everything (and the Coke plant is literally across the street). Now they serve all bottles, and pay less than $0.50 per bottle - but they still pay even though they have obscenely high volumes.

The kicker when it comes to concessions and "free" water is the cost of the cup. When I worked at the Speedway, and also a few times at the old RCA Dome in Indy, our volunteer groups were charged by the Commissary at the end of the day based on the inventory of certain things we stocked.

For example, we could dump bags of fries on the floor and not be charged because they only count and bill for the Fry Cups. Likewise, we could run fountain drinks through our fountains all day, but we couldn't give out free cups because they counted those.

The cup your "free ice water" is served in costs more than the soda they'd normally fill it with. It's common for concession style places to charge for tap water because they get charged by the commissary for the cups at the end of the day. I'm not saying this is how Disney does it, but it's how most stadiums do it.

Also, we were charged for bags of ice we used at some concessions, which is why we didn't hand out cups of ice or ice water to anyone unless we could actually SEE a health risk or first aid situation. At the Speedway, people would want to come fill up their coolers with ice, so we'd have to sell them a bag of ice. Talk about mad drunks!

Lastly, I personally enjoy the FREE water all around Disney's parks. It's dispensed out of those stainless steel cabinets hanging on walls near restrooms and high-traffic areas. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom