Free Meal plan bring in more guests???

IWorkWTeeth

Original Poster
We are visiting 8/24-9/2 this year and were able to take advantage of the free meal plan. I heard that they also offered this last year and was wondering if it greatly increases the attendance during this time?? Anyone take advantage of the meal plan last year??? It is definately worth it!!!

slappy magoo

Because the meal plan, let alone the FREE meal plan promotion, is pretty new, it's hard to say exactly, Last year, attendance was up all year, even in times where the promotion wasn't available, But from what others have said, the attendance was makedly greater than usual for that time of year.

daverube

We were at Disney (with the free dining plan) from August 24 - 29.....it was crowded, but not uber-crowded....

No wait (at that time) for PotC, 25ish for Splash, 20ish for BTM, 20 for Space...an HOUR for Peter Pan...

Epcot rides (other than SE) had limited waits...except for Soarin (1.5-2 hours by mid-day)....and the land had a 35 minute wait in the afternoon....

I'm going off of memory, but I think these are pretty accurate.....

Good luck and have fun....

dave

New2WDW

We went last year at the end of the Free Dining Plan time and it seemed the same as the year before without the Free DP. Many people we talked to last year did not even know about the Free DP. So I do not know if it creates too much of a larger crowd.

Computer Magic

Going about the same time as the OP this year. I do know Advance Reservation is needed but not sure about the crowd size.

I will let you know when I return :lookaroun

dandaman

Going on the EXACT dates as the OP. :lol:

Last year, I was so surprised at how uncrowded it was. Longest wait was 60 minutes for Soarin', and in second, 25 minutes for Test Track. :D

You'll have a great time, trust me :wave:

The free dining plan is an awesome offer. We booked for the first week of December and I am hoping the have some sort of special for that time.

Dukeblue1016

I was there the last two years in mid-august... last year wasn't much different from the previous (last year being the first year they offered the free dining). I just don't think it got enough publicity and enough people knew about it... I can already tell its gonna be enormous this year since last year we ate at 6 places... and i only made two ressies, both the week before... no problems getting in places... it seems this year, if you go without a ressie... forget about eating anyone... I couldn't get in a few places for the entire week and I tried calling over a month before... which is making me nervous... definitely gonna be a lot more crowded...

Nemo14

From what I heard last year, it did make the parks a little busier, but not unbearably so. Keep in mind that the dining plan is only free for guests at select resorts too, so yes, more people will be there, but nothing like the summer crowds!

peters

We were there the last week of September last year and the year before(and will again this year!) and I did notice a small increase in attendance between 2004 & 2005... but the real change I witnessed was with ADR's. Getting into a restaurant of your choice at the time you want is much more difficult than it has been in the past most of the year now because of the new dining plan, free or not. Even so, there are so many restaurants on site that it's hard not to find something available. Hope that helps!

raven

What free meal plan?!! Is it still available? I'm going down mid September and is it offered then? Anyone know where to get info?

alliemom

You had to sign up for the free dining by June 25th. Unfortunately I didn't know about it either. I booked my trip mid July and of course am paying for my dining plan.

kennygman

raven said:
What free meal plan?!! Is it still available? I'm going down mid September and is it offered then? Anyone know where to get info?

For a former cast member, you're not to up on what's going on with Disney World. Offer expired June 25th and this was after an extension of the offer.

RonAnnArbor

I was there last year third week in Sept and going again this year the same week -- the crowds were negligible, and you noticed no additional increase because of the dining plan. The dining plan is similarly only available to those who a) knew about it, and b) stayed in a budget or moderate resort. They created the free dining plan to bring more people into the on-site resorts during dead month (last week in August through third week in September) so any increase in crowds is miniscule. You will notice that the budget resorts are packed - while the moderate and deluxe resorts are half-empty.

AEfx

I did it last year, and it was amazing.

The parks weren't any more crowded, BUT DINING WAS. Make sure you make reservations ASAP. Many people went last year thinking, "Gee, I never had to make ressies before, we'll just find something!" and were SORELY disapointed. Many sit-downs I went to didn't have opening for WEEKS for walk-ups, and I saw more than a few disapointed families because of it.

Plan those ressies as soon as you can, and enjoy all the free food! It's a great feeling to go to dinner somewhere, and get a $300 check that says "PAID" on it. :)

AEfx

I agree that we didn't notice a difference in the lines for rides, but getting a table at lunch was a hassle.

Our last three days of vacation in 2005 were the first three days of the free dining plan. There was a marked difference. Frankly, I'm a little nervous about vacation this August.

kjd469

Have no fear...we were there Aug. 23- Sept. 3 last year with the FREE Dining Plan, and found the crowds to be quite manageable. In fact, went to MK on one day and did the whole park by 2 p.m. as we were able to walk on every ride!!! We did all of our dining reservations before we went and had no problems. We are going again Aug. 27 - Sept. 4 and are greatly looking forward to enjoying the dining plan for free again!!

One thing...you will want to bring an umbrella/poncho as almost every afternoon it will suddenly downpour for an hour or so and then become sunny again. If you are prepared it is no big deal!!

Have fun...and wear your stretchy pants...that dining plan is a lot of food!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom