Free 'in-room' wireless internet starting at most Walt Disney World Resorts today

This is so great for so many guests. Being a DVC member, we received credits to our account for internet, but this is more consumer and guest friendly.

Maybe more people will livestream video of IllumiNations and Wishes.

Est1971

Awesome to hear... But we just got the Verizon hotspot air card mostly for Disney...lol.... No we travel a lot so it will still get used... But this is really awesome!!!!! Go Disney...

Clever Name

Smart City is already providing free WiFi at select WDW resorts on a test basis. The CR has free WiFi in the lobby, the main pool area and the convention center. The CSR has a few areas that offer free WiFI as does the GFR. WDW could have Smart City provide free WiFi to all the resorts if they desired.

WDW does not provide anything for free. Someone will end up paying for this service. :wave:

Disaddict

I suspect the resorts with the most convention activity were chosen first. I often go to conventions/conferences for work, and the rooms always have free in-room wifi.

Ahhhh. I don't know why I did not make that connection. That makes perfect sense. Thanks. :)

WDW does not provide anything for free. Someone will end up paying for this service. :wave:

They'll just tack the fee onto the room rate. The problem is that not everyone will be using this service so they shouldn't have to pay for it. But oh well, at least it is happening. :sohappy:

Scuttle

Great news. I think it's been long overdue, but nonetheless very good news! Now if we can only get high def in the deluxe rooms everything will be perfect.

Pioneer Hall

I wonder too. Only because I noticed the Contemporary is on the list but not Bay Lake Tower. Just seemed...odd given how connected the two resorts are.

Neat news though!

I would venture to guess that BLT is covered under contemporary. The two resorts function as one with one management team. It looks like the deluxe resorts, DVC resorts, and Coronado (due to conventions) got it.

trr1

It looks like its just the Luxury resorts at this point so thay might raise cost at the moderates and value resorts

llrain

this is awesome news. So where did all the posters go that said this would never ever happen,,,,glad this one came through

WDWFigment

I'll be the lone dissenter. There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially with Disney. I'd rather those who need this or think they need it be paying for it, rather than everyone pay for it. And we WILL pay for it, either by virtue of a rate increase, or by Disney allocating money towards this as opposed to another upgrade.

People will find anything to complain about, right? ;)

timeman

I would love it if they offer wireless at the Values. I would not be shocked if we saw it by sometime next year at the Values, but at a cost. I could see them promoting free wifi in rooms in the Deluxe & Moderate resorts and maybe a one time fee for wifi at a Value resort.

BroganMc

Just started using it on my iPad from the Contemporary Resort lobby. It's fairly fast!

Yes numbers please. Download the Speedtest app and run a test for us.

I don't believe this is going to be very fast or as good as people hope in the rooms. When Marriott switched from wired to wireless their speeds tanked and there were a great many dead zones in rooms. One place I go to the network is only accessible if you sit in a certain spot next to the window.

FWIW, when I was using the wired internet at SSR last week my Speedtest results were around 500kbps download (0.5mbps). My 3G Mifi from Sprint gave better service (1mbps).

llrain

This is where we begin seeing shifts from immersion in the disney enviornment to everyone walking around with Ipads bumping into people
cause they arent paying attention....
I am glad they did this and Wdwfigment is right, we will pay for it
but now that I think about this possible seperation from enjoying disney
maybe I dont like it.
The only reason i bring my laptop is for listening to music at night in the room and checking my checking balance to make sure im not overspending.
I really cant see and refuse to sit in a lobby on the internet when there is so much other stimulation going on around me.
I even leave my cell phone in the room just to ferget while im there. Heck, i wish i didn't even have to bring my laptop.

Just started using it on my iPad from the Contemporary Resort lobby. It's fairly fast!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom