Free Dining plan all year in 2011?

HouCuseChickie

I really can't see them doing free dining all year long, but I'm sure we'll see a lot of it during the traditional times.

As for the people who say they'd prefer the room discount for the better monetary savings...I think it all depends on where you're staying, the type of room you've booked, how many are in your party, and when you're going. For us, a 40% off room discount (vs free dining) would only be an extra $0.18 in savings. I think in many cases with the moderates and values- free dining is the better deal.

Korfar

I really can't see them doing free dining all year long, but I'm sure we'll see a lot of it during the traditional times.

As for the people who say they'd prefer the room discount for the better monetary savings...I think it all depends on where you're staying, the type of room you've booked, how many are in your party, and when you're going. For us, a 40% off room discount (vs free dining) would only be an extra $0.18 in savings. I think in many cases with the moderates and values- free dining is the better deal.

I agree. The debate on what saves more really depends on individual cases. No one can say with 100% certainty that one discount saves more than others in all cases. For us the free dining is the best. For others room discounts may be better. Everyone just needs to shop their trip with all discounts available to see what works out best.

Dwarful

Well the new discounts are out. Big chunks of time with the obvious spring/summer time not listed. But that may or may not change depending on how things look as that time gets closer. This year we got a discount for Easter but that discount didn't become available until much closer to our trip.

Clever Name

Free dining may seem good, but we learned this year that a discounted room outweighs free dining by a landslide. ill pay for my dining and save more for my monorail set.
That is totally correct. "Free" dining is not free at all, but some people think they are getting a discount. It actually makes a lot of money for WDW. Disney has to be careful because if they run the promotion for too long a period, people begin to wake up and realize they've been duped.

Korfar

That is totally correct. "Free" dining is not free at all, but some people think they are getting a discount. It actually makes a lot of money for WDW. Disney has to be careful because if they run the promotion for too long a period, people begin to wake up and realize they've been duped.

I understand that if you stay in deluxes the room discounts may be better than free dinning but to say free dining is not free and not a discount is obsurd. Explain to me how I am not saving money but not have to pay for my meals for a week? If I were to pay out of pocket for meals it costs me X amount of dollars. Well now I don't have to spend that while I am there. That saves a lot of money when feeding 4 people for 10 days.

castevens

I hope not. Free dining ruins the concept of a relaxing vacation for me by forcing me to book my ADR's months in advance and sticking to the schedule in order to get into the restaurants I like. I like to play it by ear when I get there and not have to plan my vacation around my dining reservations.

If they want to entice me to come during the slow season, a discounted room works just fine.

Just my opinion of course...

I can go either way. I loved the free dining when we had it (although you're right about the hassle of sticking to the plan) and we got all sorts of food that we normally would not have gotten without the dining plan.

If it was between free dining and half-price hotel or something, I guess I'd take the 1/2 price hotel

disneygirl1

I'm loving that it is offered all the way to 9/29 next year... I'm going to start planning my next trip in the next month or so. 9/29-10/8, I'm so glad that I can book knowing I don't have to play the waiting game for free dining.

Phonedave

I can go either way. I loved the free dining when we had it (although you're right about the hassle of sticking to the plan) and we got all sorts of food that we normally would not have gotten without the dining plan.

If it was between free dining and half-price hotel or something, I guess I'd take the 1/2 price hotel

Thats the kicker. If you are 'buying' food you would not normaly buy, then thats really not free. I know for some people it works and for others it does not. For me, it doesn't fit my dining patterns.

I will say that while I don't hate the plan, I hate the effects of the plan.

I just got back last night from a week in WDW, and aside from the difficulty in getting ADRs there were a number of instances where the DDP bugged me.

1) Checking in a the on-line check in desk. I had to wait 15 minutes behind a group while they had the free DDP explained to them at least 3 times. Once again on-line check in was slower.

2) Three times at Roaring Forks I had to wait while the people in front of me tried to configure their purchases to make complete quick service meals, often running back to exchange an item or pick one up.

Not big deals by any stretch of the imagination, but the plan is confusing to first time users (especialy if they are first time WDW visitors) who don't take the time to learn how it works. It tends to bog down already long lines when it needs to be explained over and over again.

-dave

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
The dining plan is confusing. Even when I explain it to my friends a lot of people really do not take it all in the first time.

Once you throw in some people are who just lazy and dumb it can be a mess.

I am for the dining plan when it is free. I am not very certain about paying for it. Could I eat all the food...yes. Do we like eating all the food...yes.

Last Dec we paid for the QS meal plan and that seemed to be somewhat worth it.

I guess when you look at...even if it saves you $10 its worth buying because you STILL have to make ADR's 180 days out to get what you want.

WDW-Crazy

All year seems a bit much. It summer time that could get out of hand. As long as it stays in the fall I am happy and we can afford to go for 16 days.

I agree with what you're saying. They don't need the DDP in the summer and busier months since they usually draw in the huge crowds. Doing this on top an already busy time of the year would just make things alot worse. Like you said, if they can just keep it in the fall like they've been doing, I'd be happy. Works out great since we like to go in September anyways and helps us save alot moneywise.

mickeysshoes

Just got back and there was NO BB for 2011 - at all - so that leads me to think no free dining at all for 2011. We got free dinning BB in 2009 for 2010 but nothing this year. :(

Clever Name

I guess it all depends upon your perspective. I have been going to WDW since the early 70’s and I can’t remember a time when discounts for rooms and park admission were not pervasive. Discounts have been so ubiquitous during the past 35 years that I would never consider purchasing tickets or accommodations at the “rack” rates. The entire Disney resort area (both onsite and offsite) is tremendously overbuilt. Contrary to those very high occupancy rates that you hear reported by “reliable” sources, in reality most of the hoteliers in the greater Disney area offer substantial discounts just to survive. During the last two consecutive years, bookings at WDW resorts and park attendance have gone down. There is a tremendous glut of timeshare properties and the DVC sales have gone comatose. We just booked a week at the All Star Sports for $53.30 (tax included) per night with no extra charge for weekends.

In consideration of the huge profit Disney makes from the “free” dining promotion, they’ll continue the program well into 2011. When people pay full price for a room and admission media it makes Disney very happy.

DisneyRunner

I was looking high and low for a bounceback flyer for free dining in my room. No such luck and I called 8844 multiply times. I got home went on line and saw the GP offer. I rebooked the next morning. As mentioned in one of the first posts, where are the cutbacks on promotions? This has not been the case, in my opinion.

AlvinJosh33

My family is planning for a visit in December. Have not seen any offer up yet at this time. I hope they will have great offers, I am looking forward to spending dinner with Mickey and friends.

wizards8507

During the last two consecutive years, bookings at WDW resorts and park attendance have gone down.

Part right, part wrong.

You were correct regarding WDW resorts, which had 87% occupancy during Fiscal 2009, down from 90% in Fiscal 2008.

However:

Walt Disney World saw NO CHANGE in park attendance during Fiscal 2009, and a 2% GAIN in park attendance during Fiscal 2008.

Research, mi amigo.

Clever Name

Part right, part wrong.

You were correct regarding WDW resorts, which had 87% occupancy during Fiscal 2009, down from 90% in Fiscal 2008.

However:

Walt Disney World saw NO CHANGE in park attendance during Fiscal 2009, and a 2% GAIN in park attendance during Fiscal 2008.

Research, mi amigo.
A wish is a dream your heart makes. The visitation figures you mention are a product of “Hollywood Accounting”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom