News FPs cancelled when Hotel room cancelled

bpadair32

But make sure you can buy extra tickets to that highest level to ensure that people who have financial resources get preferential treatment.

I don't understand why people with money shouldn't be able to buy preferential treatment. I mean we are not talking about healthcare or other necessities that I feel should be available to all. We are talking about lines in a theme park. Whats the problem?

chriskbrown

As one who used this hack, I am both saddened (got some killer FPs last trip) and glad. Glad because it leveled the playing field for everyone in a sense. Still means that if I stay a week I should be able to get a FP towards the end of my stay for say Slinky more than someone who shows up 7 days later for their first day. In the end, there is zero perfect system. The old FP awarded early risers and hoarding to a degree. The new system means we actually can plan a more relaxed day (like after the half marathon this year with a later start).

BigThunderMatt

I don't understand why people with money shouldn't be able to buy preferential treatment. I mean we are not talking about healthcare or other necessities that I feel should be available to all. We are talking about lines in a theme park. Whats the problem?

Because, as I've said before in other parts of this forum, there is a subset of the population that sees a WDW vacation as a rite of passage or a basic need rather than the luxury it actually is. The company does not exist to provide these parks to general public as an act of goodwill, they do it to make money. And there will always be people that seem to think luxury items shouldn't come with luxury price tags or that luxury items shouldn't have upgrade options. But if you have the money to spend on the luxury item and you're not all that put out by it and in fact have money to spare, why wouldn't you go for the upgraded option? I would. People that can't afford it or choose to not pay it see such options as elitist. I see them as timesavers if you can afford them. Because it is very true that time is money.

bpadair32

Because, as I've said before in other parts of this forum, there is a subset of the population that sees a WDW vacation as a rite of passage or a basic need rather than the luxury it actually is. The company does not exist to provide these parks to general public as an act of goodwill, they do it to make money. And there will always be people that seem to think luxury items shouldn't come with luxury price tags or that luxury items shouldn't have upgrade options. But if you have the money to spend on the luxury item and you're not all that put out by it and in fact have money to spare, why wouldn't you go for the upgraded option? I would. People that can't afford it or choose to not pay it see such options as elitist. I see them as timesavers if you can afford them. Because it is very true that time is money.

I am not sure if you are trying to disagree with me, but it sounds like you agree with me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The point was to point out the the old E-Ticket system wasn't a system of fair distribution since wealthier people had the means to buy more E-Tickets. The book of Tickets was a marketing ploy to get people to go to the less popular attractions under the guise of a bundled bargain. It was completely pay-to-play just like fairs which required more tickets for the more popular rides.

Trackmaster

You could possibly argue to the courts and business regulating agencies that it amounts to an unfair "hidden cost" that the average consumer isn't given upfront knowledge about. You pay full price for a ticket and assume that the park is doing everything in their power to minimize lines and push as many people through as possible so that you have more time on the rides and less time waiting in line. Selling priority passes basically throttles the experience of those who choose not to buy them, as some people wait less, but capacity is unchanged. So in a sense, you're selling a damaged experienced, but advertising it as a complete one in bad faith.

Same issue could come up if a park was excessively price gouging inside a park. Notice that there are premiums that are assessed on food in parks, but parks always provide ice water if asked, and the price of food is usually more or less reasonable and in the same range as other parks for standard park food. I'd imagine that a lot of regulation goes into it.

But, obviously at the moment the regulators and courts for now have deemed that they don't really care about priority passes at the moment, as every park chain seems to have a paid version at the moment. And for every chain other than Disney, there's no disguise: you just pay extra for the right to skip the line, there's no game to it like with Disney.

USofA scott

You could possibly argue to the courts and business regulating agencies that it amounts to an unfair "hidden cost" that the average consumer isn't given upfront knowledge about. You pay full price for a ticket and assume that the park is doing everything in their power to minimize lines and push as many people through as possible so that you have more time on the rides and less time waiting in line. Selling priority passes basically throttles the experience of those who choose not to buy them, as some people wait less, but capacity is unchanged. So in a sense, you're selling a damaged experienced, but advertising it as a complete one in bad faith.

Same issue could come up if a park was excessively price gouging inside a park. Notice that there are premiums that are assessed on food in parks, but parks always provide ice water if asked, and the price of food is usually more or less reasonable and in the same range as other parks for standard park food. I'd imagine that a lot of regulation goes into it.

But, obviously at the moment the regulators and courts for now have deemed that they don't really care about priority passes at the moment, as every park chain seems to have a paid version at the moment. And for every chain other than Disney, there's no disguise: you just pay extra for the right to skip the line, there's no game to it like with Disney.
There is no regulation of theme park pricing. I do not know where you got the idea that there is.
Also, where do you come up with the concept of an "unfair 'hidden cost'". First, there is not any expectation that the park is doing everything in their power to minimize lines. This is pure folly. There is no damaged experience, nor is there either a bad faith or good faith.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Honest question here: Not that I would try this. I'm an annual passholder. Let's say I make a WDW resort reservation more than 60 days out. At 60 days, I schedule my FPs. Within 30 days of my trip, I cancel my WDW resort reservations. APs have a rolling 30 days. Would I keep my FPs or would they still be cancelled?
Up to now the FP+ reservations would stay put. That loop hole will be closed in the near future. So if you cancel your resort or campground the updated program will also cancel reservations linked to it for FP+. Rumored also canceling ADRs. It is a loop hole that is very commonly abused and is currently messing with inventory for rooms, worse is the tent camp sites that are now so difficult to reserve and yet suddenly cancellations galore at day 30.

JohnD

Up to now the FP+ reservations would stay put. That loop hole will be closed in the near future. So if you cancel your resort or campground the updated program will also cancel reservations linked to it for FP+. Rumored also canceling ADRs. It is a loop hole that is very commonly abused and is currently messing with inventory for rooms, worse is the tent camp sites that are now so difficult to reserve and yet suddenly cancellations galore at day 30.

I get that for non-APs. Mine pertained to AP holders. For the record I have had to cancel resort reservations in the past. I dutifully also cancel FPs and ADRs. Maybe that puts me in the minority.

roz

Reportedly starting 2/4 when you cancel your WDW hotel room your fastpasses will also be cancelled so those that made throwaway room reservations wouldn't be able to do so anymore.

Also you are said to have 2 days of grace period. So if you rebook you would still have the fastpasses rather than them cancelling immediately.
Sorry if I’m not posting in the proper way... It’s been years since I’ve skulked on this site...
I’m a bit worried about our plans for early October now. I have reservations for 10/6-10/13 (5 days ay Poly Villas; 2 days at AK Lodge) and it is possible, but not yet guaranteed, that we will have the ability to come two days earlier. I thought we could spend those nights at Wilderness Lodge, as it’s dh’s Favorite. We won’t know for sure, though, if he can be away work for the 4th and 5th until a few weeks prior. If I book the hotel, and make FP reservations for our whole planned trip at 60 days out from the 4th, will I lose ALL our FPS for the trip if it turns out we can’t get there until the 6th and have to cancel WL in September?
Worried. 😬

BigThunderMatt

I am not sure if you are trying to disagree with me, but it sounds like you agree with me.

I absolutely agree with you. There are people who legitimately believe that Disney shouldn't operate like a business offering various tiers of service to its patrons of different income levels. I think that's completely absurd that people think Disney SHOULDN'T operate that way.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I get that for non-APs. Mine pertained to AP holders. For the record I have had to cancel resort reservations in the past. I dutifully also cancel FPs and ADRs. Maybe that puts me in the minority.
I’m also an AP holder. This has become a common problem exploited by too many AP holders and some wise non pass holders. It isn’t the simple change of plans and needing to cancel. It has become a more nefarious work around for those holding dual resort stays on and offsite. It gives them 60 day access to FP+ at 60 days vs 30 days with no intentions of keeping on site reservations. Then there are some savvy locals that do the same for FP+ on prime days for the parks and cancel those FP at 30 days. I think the straw that broke the back for Disney on top of those mentioned is the Disney ride Challenge groups. Hotel rooms just to do various challenges on a given day. There are also runDisney folks that book campsites for tents and stay elsewhere or at home just for the perks. Disney is also looking into ways to eliminate empty camp sites that remain abandoned obviously because Disney anticipates more revenue than just room/campsite they rightfully look for revenue beyond in tickets, food, merchandise etc. it doesn’t take a lot for Disney to collect the data on rooms cancellation at 30 day mark and break it down further.

I was in the parks on vacation last April when a different type of Challenge was happening with the challenge regulars groups. The MK was opened till midnight. The group organized their challenge to be how many times in 6 hoxurs they could modify FP+ reservations. It basically rendered the system useless for anyone like me just looking for a FP+. They’d grab them and dump them all night long. It was a game challenge for them with total disregard to the average guest.

I so don’t blame Disney for closing the loop hole Another example of how a very small minority of folks that ruin things for so many. Frustrating.

LSLS

You know, that brings up an interesting other aspect of this. How many times do people cancel reservations, and then not think to cancel fast passes (just assume they are cancelled). Honestly I'm not sure it would even occur to me to cancel those. This would also help in that aspect.

DisneyJoe

You know, that brings up an interesting other aspect of this. How many times do people cancel reservations, and then not think to cancel fast passes (just assume they are cancelled). Honestly I'm not sure it would even occur to me to cancel those. This would also help in that aspect.
If it is a package reservation (a package contains room + tickets + optional components) and someone cancels the package reservation, since the tickets are part of the package, and it is tied into MDE, if those were the only valid ticket media in that MDE account, the FP+ will automatically be cancelled.

ADRs are NOT - some report getting no show penalties on their charge cards.

JohnD

One day I was in HS. I had a FP for ToT. I just wasn't feeling riding it that day. I could have let it lapse. Instead I canceled it so that a lucky guest could grab it.

LSLS

If it is a package reservation (a package contains room + tickets + optional components) and someone cancels the package reservation, since the tickets are part of the package, and it is tied into MDE, if those were the only valid ticket media in that MDE account, the FP+ will automatically be cancelled.

ADRs are NOT - some report getting no show penalties on their charge cards.

Sure, but if you don't do a package (have tickets around, get from discount site, etc.). Don't know, may be no problem at all. Just something I never really thought about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom