FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

doctornick

So if 1 track would be dedicated to FP+, what would the issue rate per hour be ? Because if the issue rate is going to cause a 45+ minute wait on a slow loader that doesn't make sense or seem worth it.

I think the scuttlebutt is that the current 2 tracks would be FP+ (and maybe for DAS cards) while the new third track would be standby only. Presumably, there would be a crossover point where people in the standby line could be shunted into the current 2 track load area in order to ensure that all the vehicles are fully utilized.

Buried20KLeague

Seriously?

The Dow Jones average fell and recovered in almost the exact same fashion as DIS and you're just going to dismiss that with the excuse that not all the stocks fell? You superimpose their image and it's almost the exact same thing.

snapshot_chart_api.asp

What else do you need for proof? How about the S&P 500? Yep...same thing:

snapshot_chart_api.asp

NASDAQ Composite:

snapshot_chart_api.asp

Maybe try again...

Shows what you know... Clearly you didn't notice that one pointy part was in a different spot than the pointy part on the other picture.

Also... Numbers.

Buried20KLeague

I called this one with BoG. I knew it was only a matter of time until it happened to an attraction/ride.

It's deplorable. It wasn't even that long ago, that the entrance to an attraction was open until closing time and you could get in line up until the very minute before the park "closed" - so if MGM closed at 9 you could get in line at 8:59PM and wait inside and get to ride the attraction to end your day. That was part of that "quality" that differentiated WDW from every other park. The value that the always premium priced Disney experience was about where you didn't mind so much the cost because you got the best level of service.

I

I had no idea this wasn't the policy anymore. At Tokyo Disneyland in March, they would close the line before the closing time of the park, but I thought that was just a Japan thing. I had no idea they were doing that in the States.

Wow.

Herc11

I had no idea this wasn't the policy anymore. At Tokyo Disneyland in March, they would close the line before the closing time of the park, but I thought that was just a Japan thing. I had no idea they were doing that in the States.

Wow.

To my knowledge this hasn't changed. At TSM, at least, if the doors close at 9:00 the attraction runs for about another 30-40 minutes until everyone in the queue gets to ride.

Buried20KLeague

Let's not even talk about the cheap generic merchandise. Disney blew the HM Gift shop already - you can buy the stuff ONLINE!!!! - For HM fans Disney blew the 'visit to buy stuff opportunity' , Contrast that to Mysterious Island at DisneySea there are unique items which are ONLY available at the island itself - not in the park or online.

To be fair... When I was at Disney Sea in March, all the MI specific merch that I had seen my previous trip was COMPLETELY gone. Absolutely no MI merch in the store at all. It was all the same generic junk you could find in any other shop. I had heard that change had occurred, but hoped it wasn't actually the case. But it was.

I was ready to drop major coin, and instead I kept my wallet in my pocket.

In fact, finding merch that even says Tokyo Disney anywhere on it is darn near impossible. It's a cultural thing. And it drives me batty. We bought almost anything we could find, and it was very very little. Chopsticks, a mug, a really cool figurine set, placemats (which are AWESOME)... That was it. Couldn't even find one piece of clothing with Tokyo Disney on it. In our previous trip we at least were able to find a shirt and a jacket. Not on this trip. Literally the only piece of clothing we could find wasn't even in the parks... A Tokyo Disneyland Hotel collared shirt in the Disneyland Hotel gift shop.

Buried20KLeague

Please stop with the "DVC members locked in" myth.

The reality is that, in growing numbers, DVC members have stopped going to WDW theme parks. Instead of spending at WDW's theme parks, they've been staying onsite at WDW's Deluxe Resorts paying a fraction of what non-DVC members pay for a room, eating in their rooms which contain functioning kitchens, visiting Universal and other Orlando attractions, while consuming Disney's 'free' services such as DME, DVC member pool hopping privileges, watching Wishes from outside the Magic Kingdom, etc.

It's gotten so bad that Disney has started offering DVC members deep theme park ticket discounts; $300 off annual passes a couple of years ago, a $199 4-day ticket this year (vs. the $294 price you pay).

Even worse, as DVC members get bored with Disney offering the same-old attractions every year, they've been selling their memberships on the resale market, hurting Disney's direct DVC sales. This year, Disney is on pace to sell only a fraction of the DVC points they sold 5-8 years ago when they were able to quickly sell out the large SSR and BLT.

DVC members have been renting their DVC points to non-DVC members, hurting Disney's highly profitable hotel room rentals, resulting in a plunging Deluxe Resort occupancy rate. It's gotten so bad that Disney no longer can fill their Deluxe Resorts even during peak season. This summer, the Wilderness Lodge ran at about a 75% occupancy rate (below the Metro Orlando average), even as the Wilderness Lodge's DVC rooms (which cost only a fraction of the hotel rooms) ran at near-100% occupancy.

The rise of the Internet in recent years has made it incredibly easy for DVC members to sell or rent their points when they decide not to visit WDW exactly because DVC members perceive that it has declined.

So please stop thinking that DVC members are "locked in".

The reality is that Disney is desperate to get them (and their money) back into the theme parks.

It's almost as if they've created a monster that can't be stopped.

If only dozens of us had discussed that as a very real possibility for the future years ago on this very website.

Oh wait.

Buried20KLeague

In the past, (2002-2010) I used to go to WDW every year... .sometimes 2 times a year. I knew it would cost more to get in the gates, but then once I got in, prices for Food and drinks were less expensive than most amusement / theme parks. Such as a Coke for $2.20 instead of $3.50. I could eat a Grilled Chicken Wrap, Fries, and get a coke for $9-10. The main reason I loved going to WDW was because of the WOW factor of the guest experience. It felt magical. It was escaping to a different world. Cast Members were happy, the park was clean, freshly painted, light bulbs all worked, and the rides were all in good shape. Park Music and Atmosphere was top notch. The stress in my life went away. Sure I still made a "Game Plan" of what attractions I was going to hit. I knew when I was going to get a fast pass. I also made a few Restaurant Reservations. I had a plan, but still could relax and enjoy a vacation. If I felt like riding Big Thunder Mountain again, I could. Getting a spot for Fireworks was simple... find a spot 30-45 minutes before and it was fair game to everyone else. Guests also seemed more friendly and respectable to their fellow guests back in the day as well.

Now, we fast forward to 2014. The price of a drink and food in general is just as high as other parks, and the ticket prices have become extremely high. Prices are over $100 a day. Food meals are now $15+ for Fast Food and $40-50 each for a Restaurant (without Alcohol.. all that and increase to $60) Disney wants me to pick my fast passes 6 months in advance, with my food reservations, use up some of my Fast Passes if I want the same viewing places for Fireworks, plus limit how many fast passes I can get on favorite rides per day. (I used to use a few on Tower of Terror a day.) Guests have also become more self centered and rude as they are trying to get the most out of the money that they are charged for their Dream Vacation. Most attractions now have Fast Pass + Available causing rides that had 10 minute waits because of how efficient they were, to have 45 minute waits.

I have come to accept these changes. As I could still wait in slow moving stand-by lines. Now they want guests to use Fast Passes for Quick Service meals, as well as make some rides Fast Pass + Only. (I know this is only a test phase.... but still) Maybe they will start selling Mickey Tablets, so I can carry it around with me all day and follow a set schedule that Disney picks for me. That's more planning than my regular routine where I am working. So Why would I spend over a thousand dollars to have to work, plan, and deal with sometimes miserable people who are just trying to get the best bang for their buck. Not to mention no new rides or attractions other than a Junior Mine Ride Coaster (that took 3 years to build) and Meet and Greets where it may also be Fast Pass only or have a 3 hour wait. And I love the cast members and feel so bad for them. Most of them seem happy and try to make the place feel magical. But have reduced hours, are paid low wages, and some seem miserable.

The sad fact is that Disney can get away with all of this because the general public will pay it and work with it. I hope that guests complain enough about the Toy Story Midway Mania test so that it never happens again. I do hope they increase capacity on it, as well as on Soarin. I love Disney and will always have a special place for it. But I want the Magical Escape feeling back. I want to go to a different world and have a great time. I think this is why I have grown to love the Harry Potter areas at Universal. Sorry for the long rant. Just had to say what I feel.

This sums up my viewpoint absolutely word for word. It's like you're in my brain, man. :cautious:

pumpkin7

Oh legacy FP, if only you knew how much you were missed!
To be honest, I think they would do better just charging for FP. That means there's none of this first come first served thing, the lines at the kiosks would be low and people who want to use it, can. Introduce Single Rider for anything popular, and like it or lump it the rest of the time.
I know this is only a rumour, but I have no idea how they can even comprehend making anything FP only. If you've paid to get into the park, then you should damn well have the chance to go on everything, eat where you want and do what you want to do. If they make everything FP, then the likelihood is you won't be riding BTMMR, you won't be riding SM or Space, you won't be riding ToT. At least if people have to pay for it, then everyone has a chance. The other way is just beyond moronic. I certainly wouldn't be paying $100 or whatever to get into a park that I can't ride or see half of? What's the point? I'm not going to do it just so I can go and eat a cake from Main Street Bakery or to buy that Goofy Darth Vader I've been wanting.
Sort ya crap out Disney!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To be fair... When I was at Disney Sea in March, all the MI specific merch that I had seen my previous trip was COMPLETELY gone. Absolutely no MI merch in the store at all. It was all the same generic junk you could find in any other shop. I had heard that change had occurred, but hoped it wasn't actually the case. But it was.

In fact, finding merch that even says Tokyo Disney anywhere on it is darn near impossible. It's a cultural thing. And it drives me batty. We bought almost anything we could find, and it was very very little. Chopsticks, a mug, a really cool figurine set, placemats (which are AWESOME)... That was it. Couldn't even find one piece of clothing with Tokyo Disney on it. In our previous trip we at least were able to find a shirt and a jacket. Not on this trip. Literally the only piece of clothing we could find wasn't even in the parks... A Tokyo Disneyland Hotel collared shirt in the Disneyland Hotel gift shop.
Wow what a change the Disney Parks disease has spread to OLC properties now

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I spent not a dime on merch at Tokyo Disney a couple years ago. There was literally nothing appealing -- generic stuff all. Plus, to get to anything, I'd have had to compete with zillions of crazed guests who clearly loved the merch that I found unappealing. Give Disney/OLC credit -- they had the market right. Heck, there were stores you couldn't even get into (Duffy, for example) because of all the demand, and other stores that were virtually out of stock by mid-day (and were replenished shortly thereafter). So the Japanese visitors clearly loved the stuff, but this not terribly discerning American visitor was thoroughly disappointed in the merch.

BrerJon

Couldn't even find one piece of clothing with Tokyo Disney on it. In our previous trip we at least were able to find a shirt and a jacket. Not on this trip. Literally the only piece of clothing we could find wasn't even in the parks... A Tokyo Disneyland Hotel collared shirt in the Disneyland Hotel gift shop.

I had *exactly* the same problem. The one place where you want clothing, cups and other souvenirs with the park name, is the one you can't get. I didn't see any DisneySea T-shirts. Contrast to Orlando which overflows with the stuff.

They have lots of cool food snacks for people to give as gifts, but nothing that lasts. I did find a cool set of TDL snack-themed notebooks though.

Last edited:

BrerJon

To be honest, I think they would do better just charging for FP. That means there's none of this first come first served thing, the lines at the kiosks would be low and people who want to use it, can. Introduce Single Rider for anything popular, and like it or lump it the rest of the time.

Yup, I wish they'd just make it a system like Universal's where you pay for either a one-time entry, or multiple, and if you don't want to pay that extra, you just use standby lines.

Originally, when Universal introduced that as a 'free' perk to onsite hotel guests, it was seen as a big difference between them and Disney, who would never have something like that as everyone should be equal. Now there are so many classes of guest, that no longer applies, and a Universal system would actually be far fairer.

wogwog

The other way is just beyond moronic. I certainly wouldn't be paying $100 or whatever to get into a park that I can't ride or see half of? What's the point? I'm not going to do it just so I can go and eat a cake from Main Street Bakery or to buy that Goofy Darth Vader I've been wanting.
Sort ya crap out Disney!
Edited your quote for emphasis. Actually it is worse than you think. Do not plan to eat a cake at Main Street Bakery. Not an oven in the place and no baking going on. Just coffee and pre-packed treats. Want something a little fresh you gotta go to the Confectionary. The whole park is just depressing now with all the control by Disney and the planning you are required to do if you want to play their game.

Goofyernmost

Edited your quote for emphasis. Actually it is worse than you think. Do not plan to eat a cake at Main Street Bakery. Not an oven in the place and no baking going on. Just coffee and pre-packed treats. Want something a little fresh you gotta go to the Confectionary. The whole park is just depressing now with all the control by Disney and the planning you are required to do if you want to play their game.
I don't do any planning except the dates I am going. I stay offsite and many times have gone without a reservation and have never had a problem. I eat offsite so reservations are not needed. I might check out the expected attendance forecast for specific days, but, basically I decide which park I am going to after I get up and sometimes not until after breakfast. When last there, I was able to get FP+'s for ride that I have never before been able to get because they were already gone by the time I got there. About 10:30 am! I take my time and if I have to be in a "reasonable" length line I will go there. If the line is unreasonable, I pass it by and check later to see if it is OK, or just don't bother with it.

In short I tour almost exactly the same way that I did in the 80's. I don't want to "play their game". I play my own and it works just fine, for me. It's how important it is to stay onsite, be without independent transportation and be at the mercy of the Disney Co. that causes the need for such planning.

To be sure, the last time I was there was January 2014 and everything worked like always, just different procedures. I cannot speak for right this moment and I certainly cannot foresee the future, but, the day it becomes a chore to go is the day that I find alternate entertainment.

BigTxEars

Yup, I wish they'd just make it a system like Universal's where you pay for either a one-time entry, or multiple, and if you don't want to pay that extra, you just use standby lines.

Originally, when Universal introduced that as a 'free' perk to onsite hotel guests, it was seen as a big difference between them and Disney, who would never have something like that as everyone should be equal. Now there are so many classes of guest, that no longer applies, and a Universal system would actually be far fairer.

I am fine with both systems (room renters should get perks IMO) but I can't see how Uni is more fair. If I am a resort guest at both resorts and you are not for example I can line hop (Express Pass) on you for Ripsaw Falls 10 times in a row if we ride it at the same time if I want, I can only line hop once once on you on Test Track before the playing field is level with my 60 day FP advantage.

And I love Ripsaw so I would so stick it to you (or anyone else) 10 times in a row if I could :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I recall the FRESH Cinnamon buns at the bakery and that was not that long ago, Now all they have are those nasty flash frozen starbucks "treats" which can be months old by time they get to the display case after being zapped in the microwave to release them from stasis...

TeriofTerror

I loooove Universal's Express Pass. I'm a DVC member, but I unfailingly stay at Uni when visiting their parks. Proximity to the parks and EP make it an easy call for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom