FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

Mouse_Trap

Can't believe the fuss this trial has caused.

Geeze, TSMM is a slightly souped up Wii game at best, could you imagine the hate if they had done this on a decent ride?

Who cares if this is the main family ride in HS, just about the entirety of DW is family rides - your kids are not going short because they miss this.

What I really don't understand is the purpose of the test....why would you have FP+ only? It's always going to leave empty seats. As a minimum you need single rider with FP+. They will already know the theoretical capacity of the ride, the throughput they generally achieve and the % of FP+ for each attraction that results in a no-show.
Multiply the typical throughput by the % of no-shows plus a little extra to cover the no-shows in there, this gives you the number of FP+ reservations you issue. Simple really.

I could understand the need to test the figures for FP+ track only if you add in a single rider line to pick up the slack.

Can someone remind me of the intervals on FP/FP+ returns, I know you have an hour slot, but does it cycle forward in 5 minute intervals? I should know, but can't remember.

To be honest, I wish they would scrap the entire FP system. Go back to standby and single rider only. The only thing FP and FP+ changed, it that a significant majority of people now have a virtual queue spot whilst the queue for another attraction.
The net result, longer lines, and a much increased administration cost.

"Want to visit Epcot and ride Soarin' once? You pay the normal ticket price. Want to ride it five times, you can, if you pay extra."

:eek::eek::arghh::cry::banghead:

Uck, no thanks. Once a vacation is quite enough. I really don't see what people think is so good about what is basically a Cinema 180 from the 1970s with swinging seats, a fan and a bottle of perfume.

-------

I really despair to the attractions added to WDW in the last 10 years or so.
TSMM = Wii game
Soarin' = Cinema 180
Mission Space would have been ok until they dialled it back so much.
EE is admittedly a very good family coaster, but it isn't at all a extreme coaster.
7DMT is basically a plussed Barnstormer. A well executed ride that could have been so much more.
Little Mermaid is a complete snoozefest, though the spoilt that but the awkward uncomfortable clamshell seating....I guess they had to make sure people didn't get too comfortable or they would have all been put to sleep. When the queue is better then the ride, man that's a problem.

Did I miss anything major?

Meanwhile, up the I-4, UOR continues to add exciting and boundary pushing attractions.
Rip Ride Rocket, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Transformers, Mummy, Despicable Me. That's without mentioning the more minor reskinning for the Simpsons ride and the Superman 4k upgrade.

I love WDW, there is a special something about it that despite many negative changes, that Universal will never have. Yet the two parks of Universal beat WDW easily - and that's without the Orlando Flexticket throwing in SeaWorld and Busch Garden which both have some excellent rides.

CentralFLlife

I had no idea this wasn't the policy anymore. At Tokyo Disneyland in March, they would close the line before the closing time of the park, but I thought that was just a Japan thing. I had no idea they were doing that in the States.

Wow.
It hasn't changed. Sometimes if a CM sees you walking toward the ride and are reasonably close they will even hold it open for you until you get in and then they will close it. The only time they close the entrance of an attraction early is if it has a really really long line that would take several hours to cycle out, I believe RSR did this its first few days.

pumpkin7

Edited your quote for emphasis. Actually it is worse than you think. Do not plan to eat a cake at Main Street Bakery. Not an oven in the place and no baking going on. Just coffee and pre-packed treats. Want something a little fresh you gotta go to the Confectionary. The whole park is just depressing now with all the control by Disney and the planning you are required to do if you want to play their game.

You have got to be joking. No cakes in the flippin' bakery?! IT'S A BAKERY. Seriously, who is running this show any more?! Someone figure out how to bring Walt back to life, he'll sort this mess out.

No cakes in a bakery indeed. Can I book a FP+ for a Mickey cake? That'll be next. Sorry, we're all out of FP+ tickets today for a pre packaged Starbucks flapjack. Come back tomorrow if you want to snack!

There will be a riot if they do this to the Dole Whips. OR the Mickey Premium Bars. Oh, think of the sad waste of beautiful rich, creamy ice cream incased in special WDW chocolate... mmmmmm. Nope! FP only!

pumpkin7

Can't believe the fuss this trial has caused.

Geeze, TSMM is a slightly souped up Wii game at best, could you imagine the hate if they had done this on a decent ride?

Who cares if this is the main family ride in HS, just about the entirety of DW is family rides - your kids are not going short because they miss this.

What I really don't understand is the purpose of the test....why would you have FP+ only? It's always going to leave empty seats. As a minimum you need single rider with FP+. They will already know the theoretical capacity of the ride, the throughput they generally achieve and the % of FP+ for each attraction that results in a no-show.
Multiply the typical throughput by the % of no-shows plus a little extra to cover the no-shows in there, this gives you the number of FP+ reservations you issue. Simple really.

I could understand the need to test the figures for FP+ track only if you add in a single rider line to pick up the slack.

Can someone remind me of the intervals on FP/FP+ returns, I know you have an hour slot, but does it cycle forward in 5 minute intervals? I should know, but can't remember.

To be honest, I wish they would scrap the entire FP system. Go back to standby and single rider only. The only thing FP and FP+ changed, it that a significant majority of people now have a virtual queue spot whilst the queue for another attraction.
The net result, longer lines, and a much increased administration cost.

Uck, no thanks. Once a vacation is quite enough. I really don't see what people think is so good about what is basically a Cinema 180 from the 1970s with swinging seats, a fan and a bottle of perfume.

-------

I really despair to the attractions added to WDW in the last 10 years or so.
TSMM = Wii game
Soarin' = Cinema 180
Mission Space would have been ok until they dialled it back so much.
EE is admittedly a very good family coaster, but it isn't at all a extreme coaster.
7DMT is basically a plussed Barnstormer. A well executed ride that could have been so much more.
Little Mermaid is a complete snoozefest, though the spoilt that but the awkward uncomfortable clamshell seating....I guess they had to make sure people didn't get too comfortable or they would have all been put to sleep. When the queue is better then the ride, man that's a problem.

Did I miss anything major?

Meanwhile, up the I-4, UOR continues to add exciting and boundary pushing attractions.
Rip Ride Rocket, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Transformers, Mummy, Despicable Me. That's without mentioning the more minor reskinning for the Simpsons ride and the Superman 4k upgrade.

I love WDW, there is a special something about it that despite many negative changes, that Universal will never have. Yet the two parks of Universal beat WDW easily - and that's without the Orlando Flexticket throwing in SeaWorld and Busch Garden which both have some excellent rides.

We wants some proper audioanimatronic attractions added!

wogwog

You have got to be joking. No cakes in the flippin' bakery?! IT'S A BAKERY. Seriously, who is running this show any more?! Someone figure out how to bring Walt back to life, he'll sort this mess out.

No cakes in a bakery indeed. Can I book a FP+ for a Mickey cake? That'll be next. Sorry, we're all out of FP+ tickets today for a pre packaged Starbucks flapjack. Come back tomorrow if you want to snack!

There will be a riot if they do this to the Dole Whips. OR the Mickey Premium Bars. Oh, think of the sad waste of beautiful rich, creamy ice cream incased in special WDW chocolate... mmmmmm. Nope! FP only!
OK. Now I am afraid to tell you about Mickey bars unless you certify you are in good health and do not have high blood pressure.
TheMickey Bar price has increased and the new version being phased in as stock is depleted at a location is smaller.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK. Now I am afraid to tell you about Mickey bars unless you certify you are in good health and do not have high blood pressure.
TheMickey Bar price has increased and the new version being phased in as stock is depleted at a location is smaller.

Why am I not suprised, Saddened yes surprised no... And I don't even eat them DW and DFIL do but they both have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

BigTxEars

So you would argue that increasing the cost of the Mickey Bar from $3.75 to $4 at the same time they're reducing the size is upholding their established standards?

Not a Mickey Bar guy myself, more into those marshmallow treat Mickeys :)

But that aside where did I say I would argue that? I said what is and what is not upholding standards is subjective at best and not something that everyone would ever agree on. Do you think differently?

But to answer your question a .25 pay increase would not even make me blink an eye for a ice cream bar (regardless of size) at a theme park. I know I am getting screwed from the get go on the price so a little more is not something that matters to me. I certainly do not think it is a big or even medium size issue.

BrianV

So you would argue that increasing the cost of the Mickey Bar from $3.75 to $4 at the same time they're reducing the size is upholding their established standards?

Which standard? Disney has a long tradition of raising prices faster than inflation. Reducing the size of a bar is simply a way to increase the price. Which would be better: increasing the 15% and reducing size 15% -or- increasing price 30% -or- reducing size 30%? (My vote would be for option 3 as I always want smaller portions.)

Do I like it? No. Is it out of character for disney? Not at all, at least in my 42 years of visititing wdw.

CDavid

A wee bit subjective I would say, there is no way that everyone is going to agree what is and what is not upholding.

I said what is and what is not upholding standards is subjective at best and not something that everyone would ever agree on. Do you think differently?

Everyone doesn't have to agree, that's actually irrelevant. Personal opinion has no bearing on how well a given development (attraction, shop, etc.) meets, or fails to meet, defined standards. The problem lies far more in defining the standards than in objectively evaluating them, but it certainly is possible to produce a valid measurement.

space42

My point was that anything Disney does is going to make someone on here angry.

Indeed, well played!

But only recently as in the last 15 years or so. Don't think too many people were angry when they opened splash mountain, tower of terror, typhoon lagoon, big thunder mountain, etc. those are the standards people are talking about. if they were still bundling stuff like that in Florida I doubt there would be as many angry people here.
Instead we debate about adding a third track to a c ticket ride trying to fill the shoes as a headliner while the park only has 5 rides. Insane honestly. The anger on this board is a direct result of a lackluster Disney and that is sad.

BigTxEars

But only recently as in the last 15 years or so. Don't think too many people were angry when they opened splash mountain, tower of terror, typhoon lagoon, big thunder mountain, etc. those are the standards people are talking about. if they were still bundling stuff like that in Florida I doubt there would be as many angry people here.
Instead we debate about adding a third track to a c ticket ride trying to fill the shoes as a headliner while the park only has 5 rides. Insane honestly. The anger on this board is a direct result of a lackluster Disney and that is sad.

No real internet forums 15 years ago so you may be right that is there were they would have been much more positive in nature.

I was referencing now though, not much occurs here that does not draw some negativity. I have used it before but it still holds water so here it is again.

This year (early on) someone posted a story on here where Disney gave $3 million to a children's hospital....and yet some posters on here found a negative angle...."only $3 million?"...."only did it for publicity"....yada yada yada.....

Just incredible....

I get people being critical but it goes way overboard on here sometimes IMO.

Last edited:

BrerJon

On busy days when the line gets really long at Aloha Isle I think it's inevitable they will temporarily close out the line for those without a reservation to buy a Dole Whip. I don't think you'll need to book 180 days in advance whether you're going to feel like an ice cream at 2.45 or whatever, but I could see a system where you need to pick up a coupon in the morning on a very busy day to use in the afternoon to be allowed in line if it's very long.

Remember Disney is trying to eliminate lines completely from its parks for those who can be bothered to plan ahead, so it's bound to come to rides, restaurants, quick service and snack carts sooner or later whether we like it or not - and that's the problem, so far "guests love MyMagic+"(TM) so there's no reason to put the brakes on it any time soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom