FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

Ignohippo

You seem to forget that the ride count for DCA (which I LOVE) is inflated with a massive amount of flat rides, though. If DHS added the same amount of flats, it could get close to that number. I don't think I would like the park to get that many flat rides (and, once again, I love the current-day DCA).

DCA: 31 Attractions (9 flat rides, a THIRD of the park's lineup)
DHS: 15 Attractions with the new Frozen show (0 flat rides)

Anyway, this FastPass+ test doesn't sound very good. Imagine the amount of Guests that are going to miss the chance of ridin one of the only five rides in the park. Quite sad, in my opinion.

See, I completely and totally disagree (about the ride part). DHS hasn't had an E-ticket added in what, 20 years? Adding spinners, dark or "flat" rides, or frankly ANYTHING would be a huge improvement.

At this point, I'd rather see them add six spinners and a couple dark rides than one E-ticket. They HAVE to do something, anything to get mote things to do and disperse these crowds.

If they could get us 3 or 4 more C-ticket attractions the quality of TSMM, I say bring them on.

TheRabbit

I agree that a "no standby" world is a bad thing. But please, don't jump to the conclusion that this is a test of a world without standby.
Standby is a good thing, and I think Disney is smart enough to know that.
I believe others have said this, but either the posts were not read or they were not understood, so I'll offer my opinion about what the test is trying to determine.
I think that the objective of this test is to determine if fastpass and standby queues can operate without merge.
See, as far as I know, every fastpass ride that currently exists is set up so that standby and fastpass both feed into the same load area(s). This is even true for rides like space mountain where there are two load areas and two tracks, and one is usually dedicated entirely to fastpass. Merge is good for efficiency, because if fastpass demand is temporarily low then standby can use that capacity, and the capacity is not wasted.
But I think that in the context of TSMM, they would like to build the third track so that the queues are totally independent. Maybe it saves a pile of money if they can build it that way. But they can't just build it that way and hope it will work. So they test it now over a few days, find out what they need to know and then get building.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and Disney IS trying to ruin people's vacations and not let them wait in line even if they want to wait.
Don't be so sure that Disney isn't considering every ride as fast pass only.

Bairstow

Don't be so sure that Disney isn't considering every ride as fast pass only.

I'm pretty sure of this.
If the capacity of the ride meets or exceeds demand (like, say, at Star Tours or Little Mermaid) and there's no additional cost to running the attractions continuously, there's no reason to require pre-reservations.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree that a "no standby" world is a bad thing. But please, don't jump to the conclusion that this is a test of a world without standby.
Standby is a good thing, and I think Disney is smart enough to know that.
I believe others have said this, but either the posts were not read or they were not understood, so I'll offer my opinion about what the test is trying to determine.
I think that the objective of this test is to determine if fastpass and standby queues can operate without merge.
See, as far as I know, every fastpass ride that currently exists is set up so that standby and fastpass both feed into the same load area(s). This is even true for rides like space mountain where there are two load areas and two tracks, and one is usually dedicated entirely to fastpass. Merge is good for efficiency, because if fastpass demand is temporarily low then standby can use that capacity, and the capacity is not wasted.
But I think that in the context of TSMM, they would like to build the third track so that the queues are totally independent. Maybe it saves a pile of money if they can build it that way. But they can't just build it that way and hope it will work. So they test it now over a few days, find out what they need to know and then get building.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and Disney IS trying to ruin people's vacations and not let them wait in line even if they want to wait.
I think Disney IS planning a WDW without standby it would allow them to significantly reduce staffing as right now all attractions need to be fully staffed. With a FP only scenario if a ride only had 4 hours of reservations it would only need 4 hours of staff.

Don't ever forget the bean counter mentality ie the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm pretty sure of this.
If the capacity of the ride meets or exceeds demand (like, say, at Star Tours or Little Mermaid) and there's no additional cost to running the attractions continuously, there's no reason to require pre-reservations.

If they have 8 hours of reservations and the park is open for 14 let's say that would enable them to cut 6 hours of cm time. Savings will be significant but when this happens and not IF this happens WDW will be on my list of places I used to visit.

I think Disney IS planning a WDW without standby it would allow them to significantly reduce staffing as right now all attractions need to be fully staffed. With a FP only scenario if a ride only had 4 hours of reservations it would only need 4 hours of staff.

Don't ever forget the bean counter mentality ie the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Except they're allowing reservations for the parks running hours, so they'd have 4 hours worth of reservations spread over 12 and would have to keep it fully staffed anyway? The model is already something like 2/3 fastpass, I doubt they'd consider eliminating standby permanently...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm with you there. We have tried DCL and visited Disneyland in the last year and it makes me sad to say it, but both were head and shoulders better than any WDW vacation we have had lately. We didn’t have to make ADRs 60 days in advance at DLR, nor did we have to book FP. We just simply walked up to the machine and got them then, just like the good old days at WDW. And DCL was just so relaxing. No ridiculous amounts of planning other than booking excursions. It was great!! If we didn’t have 2 nights booked post cruise at POFQ next month with MVMCP tickets, we would just cancel those 2 nights and fly back right after the cruise. But we paid for the tickets and airfare already and the airfare is too expensive to change now. We’re still thinking of skipping MVMCP though. Yes, we will be out $70 a person, but between the food and souvenirs at the party, we would probably spend about $70 a person, so if we skip it, it’ll be a wash. We also have another cruise booked for next year plus another trip to DLR. Add on our cruise next month and that’s 3 trips we would have spent at WDW but won’t because of the way things have changed. Some people say WDW isn’t for everyone and I’m beginning to think it’s no longer for us.

You could always give tickets away to some family who did not pre plan. Spread a little pixie dust since none is coming from the mouse

jencor

We are leaving the end of this month for a long anticipated trip. If this test is still going on (and do not tell me it ends in just a few days, because as I notice anything can happen) do the fast passes we already have mean that it really is not a fast pass anymore cause we have to get into the line where they have now distributed everyone riding a fast pass. Now the fast pass line is 3 or times longer. Planning this trip has just been a nightmare, where we use to plan to go, put an itinerary to go and be flexible. Now I have to plan every step that they are making me do and then at the last minute they can change my plans that they just about forced me to put together so I can be happy. We will see how this goes, but right now I see it being the last trip for a while to WDW. To much work.

FigmentFreak

wow this is a first for Disney. I guess the 3rd track thing is true then. Why is this attraction so popular? I went on it twice when it first opened and was not particularly impressed. It's just an even cheaper version of Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin.

It's popular because it's the only real fun family ride in the park, GMR is a family ride, but most kids don't consider it fun, plus with so few other things to do in the park.

Last edited:

draybook

My mom, brother and sister decided 6 weeks ago to head down this week as they will be on their college fall break. They leave on Wednesday. TSMM had zero FP+ available for the week when they booked their somewhat impromptu trip, so they planned to arrive at DHS early on two of the days to ride first thing.

Now they can't ride at all and are being punished for not booking their trip 6months in advance when ample FP+ were available? And even if they've added additional FP+ reservations, what about all the other FP+ and dining reservations they've made? The new system forces you to plan your days weeks/months in advance, so they've done that. Now who knows they'll do. The system that forces you to plan your trip ahead of time decides to announce last minute the only way you can ride is FP+....and they do this last minute? They may have to shuffle their days and sacrifice a dining reservation to accommodate a TSMM FP+ time...if any are available. What a joke.

Just typing this makes me angry, and upset for them. This is THE marquee ride at DHS and highlight of so many's trip. And the opportunity and choice for them to wait in line is taken away? Whoever made this decision within the company, if they actually think this is a good idea, even to trial, should attach their name to it so we all know who needs to be fired.

They should be able to hit the FP kiosk first thing and acquire at least one set of FPs, right? Or does this test exclude the kiosk FPs?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except they're allowing reservations for the parks running hours, so they'd have 4 hours worth of reservations spread over 12 and would have to keep it fully staffed anyway? The model is already something like 2/3 fastpass, I doubt they'd consider eliminating standby permanently...

The current scheduling can change with a few keystrokes I was there during initial testing and FP was blocked into 4 hour windows. So TDO could have a morning and evening block with the ride down the rest of the time

Bairstow

If they have 8 hours of reservations and the park is open for 14 let's say that would enable them to cut 6 hours of cm time. Savings will be significant but when this happens and not IF this happens WDW will be on my list of places I used to visit.

They're not going to be able to fit everyone's 8 hours of reservations into the same 8 hours. Even if they could, they wouldn't want to. The longer you can keep guests in the park the more meals they'll have to eat and the longer they'll have to shop.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They should be able to hit the FP kiosk first thing and acquire at least one set of FPs, right? Or does this test exclude the kiosk FPs?

Some reports say no 'day of' FP inventory is available.

Which makes sense if TDO is experimenting with staffing reduction by eliminating standby. We need boots on the ground to give us a man in the park report or some brave CM to tell us what's really going on

jakeman

The #1 consistent complaint at Disney is the wait times.

Also, it's a cynic, not bean counter, that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

It's nice to see you back though. The other folks just can't seem to match your level of vitriol and paranoia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They're not going to be able to fit everyone's 8 hours of reservations into the same 8 hours. Even if they could, they wouldn't want to. The longer you can keep guests in the park the more meals they'll have to eat and the longer they'll have to shop.

Think of college classes each attraction has different blocks of time allotted remember one of the goals of NGE was crowd management so each attraction has different blocks of time and this allows TDO to shape your day.

So in an area attractions could be closed while dining and shopping are available and for that block of people No FPs would be available for attractions during the 'shopping' window so their only option would be to dine or shop the trick will be to calibrate those windows so people don't leave the park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The #1 consistent complaint at Disney is the wait times.

Also, it's a cynic, not bean counter, that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

It's nice to see you back though. The other folks just can't seem to match your level of vitriol and paranoia.
I do aim to please my audience. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom