Four Parks...One World..One Question..

Mukta

I don't hate the hat, but I hate the location of the hat. It is fine for a photo background, but I don't care for it as a symbol for the Studios/Hollywood.

cynic710

i actually like it, the only problem i have with it is how underwhelming it is once you get to the hat, and all that is there are some cameras and other junk. if there was more substance to it, then it would really create a footprint as the centerpiece of the park.

I consider it a centerpiece because of its presence with hoolywood/disney history. fantasia was mickeys first full length feature, and to have an icon to represent disney in hollywood there is nothing more fitting. thats why blocking the great movie ride is ok with me, a recreation of a hollywood staple is not what the park is all about, its about hollywood and disney as one.

JIMINYCR

But it's a shop underneath it... which is lame if you ask me.

I was expecting something more as well. To have the spot used as a pin buying spot doesn't cut it. Utilizing the
Sorcerer theme, I was hoping for something
images
"magical".

KCheatle

The Hat has only a loose connection to the theme of the park (because Fantasia is a film, by that logic it could be any film prop) and absolutely nothing to do with the Golden Age of Hollywood that Never Was but Always Will Be. It is an ugly, disconnected decoration that breaks all continuity, scale and theme of Hollywood Blvd.

This is exactly what I think too. It's not that I think the Hat is poorly constructed or anything - it's just a reminder of how discombobulated DHS is. The park and it's "theme" have so much potential, but Disney just isn't following through on it, as least IMO, and seeing the hat is just another reminder of it. It has nothing to do with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. The problem with the theme is that there really is no appopriate icon to measure up to the other park's icons (at least not one I can think of).

ddbowdoin

I was expecting something more as well. To have the spot used as a pin buying spot doesn't cut it. Utilizing the
Sorcerer theme, I was hoping for something
images
"magical".

I still think the hat centered on a musical/light driven fountain would be amazing...

CP_alum08

I don't hate the hat, but I hate the location of the hat. It is fine for a photo background, but I don't care for it as a symbol for the Studios/Hollywood.
My thoughts exactly. I actually like the hat; it's really cool structurally, looks great at night, and is fun to photograph. But I don't like where it is and I don't like that it's now the park icon. If it would have been somehow incorporated into the animation courtyard I don't think anyone would've complained.

Personally, I would've loved to have seen the Earful tower moved to where the hat is and have a MK hub-like area around it. Obviously not as big as the hub in MK but a similar idea; benches, flowers, trees, etc.

The Incredible Schmulk

REALLY???

This.....
removehat_blvd.jpg

Compared to this??
removehat_before.jpg

Sorry the second one is truly a stamp print on Disney park History to many..I go for the second one..

The old pic, before the hat, looks so much better. And what's more, it makes sense. I've never seen the before and after shots in context like that, and having now seen it, I can't believe that it was ever considered a good idea to mar the visage of that awesome theater with the garish hat, but I find it completely dumbfounding that it remains there after all these years. It's awful.

Clever Name

I think they need to remove the current hat and place it on top of Spacehip Earth. It would look good there. They then need to build a bigger hat (about three times the size) for DHS in order to totally block out Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Cmdr_Crimson

I think they need to remove the current hat and place it on top of Spacehip Earth. It would look good there. They then need to build a bigger hat (about three times the size) for DHS in order to totally block out Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Don't start it...WILL END IT!!
angry-mob.jpg

pumpkin7

It's not so much the hat itself, it's just where it was plonked without a second thought. It not only ruins Hollywood Boulevard, it ruins one of the biggest and most awesome hidden mickeys!

Plus it's a shop. Lame.

skimbob

Thanks for the pics. I often wondered what it would look like without the hat. I didn't make my first visit to WDW until 2010 so I had nothing to go by before that. I personally hate the hat and think it would be better with the theater being
prominent like the Carthay Theater is now at the reinvented DCA. To me the hat does not fit the show that the imagineers are always talking about. I love main street at DHS and I was excited to see that DCA was going to take the same sort of approach to Buena Vista Street.

Britt

REALLY???

This.....
removehat_blvd.jpg

Compared to this??
removehat_before.jpg

Sorry the second one is truly a stamp print on Disney park History to many..I go for the second one..
It looks more Disney to me WITH the hat. Maybe it's just because Im so used to it, but it's just as GIANT and iconic as all of the other parks "symbol"....a random plain looking building in the back just makes it look bare.

Again, that could be because the hat is the only way I've ever really known it!

lazyboy97o

It looks more Disney to me WITH the hat. Maybe it's just because Im so used to it, but it's just as GIANT and iconic as all of the other parks "symbol"....a random plain looking building in the back just makes it look bare.

Again, that could be because the hat is the only way I've ever really known it!
Being big or simply does not make something symbolic. There is also nothing plain about the Chinese theatre, an icon in its own right. Everything about the design was Disney, just not the self-referential intellectual property based "Disney" that so many fans today want. Disney was once about doing more than what is known and expected.

The Empress Lilly

The HAT is not an icon. It is a plasticy temporary structure that they didn't assign a budget for removal to. ('Let the guy after me solve it. I use my budget for the big celebration, put it on my resume, and get the promotion before they even find out the mess I leave')

Sadly, then the era of synergy set in. The era when 'oversized cartoon object with primary colours' became synonymouse (pun!) with Disney design, rather than 'immersive placemaking through attention to intricate detail and an understanding of the grand gesture'.

Clever Name

The Sorcerer's Hat needs to be a huge and ubiguitous symbol in all the Disney parks. After all Yen Sid was Walt. The treatment I suggested for Spaceship Earth and DHS is perfect. AK and MK also need their versions of the hat as well. Cindy's castle in the MK should be topped by a large Sorcerer's Hat and the AK tree could be improved with a hat. This represents the true Magic that symbolizes Walt. They could put a few smaller hats on Everest and Space Mountain too.

Rob562

Many of you obviously have never seen the view before the hat...

The same thing came up over and over again when we talked about the Wand at Epcot. Almost everyone who said they liked or loved the wand had never been to the park *before* the wand. I suspect it's the exact same thing for the Hat.

I'll admit, I liked the wand at first. But that was because at the time I thought it was temporary for the Millennium Celebration and would be going away after 18 months like the Cakestle did (which again, I didn't mind because I knew it was temporary).
When they changed out "2000" sign for "Epcot" is when I started hating the wand.

Naively, I thought the same for the Hat. It was cool for the 100 Year of Magic celebration, but then it quickly over-stayed its welcome.

Nice structure, very wrong place. Put it out by the Studios parking toll plaza... Or at Art of Animation.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom