Four Parks...One World..One Question..

lazyboy97o

That scene in Fantasia is iconic and I feel a little bad for you if you don't see that. I just think that the replica of the chinese theater was not really a great icon for a Disney park considering it's not Disney. The hat works well because even if people don't know Fantasia that well, they usually know Sorcerer Mickey. It's something recognizable. For whatever reason when I think old hollywood in my mind, Fantasia fits in. Not knocking your opinion, just sharing mine.
The Chinese Theatre is no less Disney than any of the non self-referential designs that occupy the Disneylands or EPCOT Center. Likewise the Disney-MGM Studios was about celebrating more than just Disney, its why Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are images of Hollywood icons and not places like 2719 Hyperion.

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" may be iconic, but so are plenty of other films. The hat is also an image, not architecture. Large images are the sort of fake decorative "theming" that Disney fans so often decry as below Disney.

Maybe you will answer my hypothetical. Would the Carthay Circle Theater be a better choice than the Chinese Theatre? And if so, why?

JillC LI

tumblr_lmizakat3Y1qzbdgko1_500.jpg

It was an aerial hidden Mickey. GCT is the mouth. The hat was built later where the nose is located. Even if they removed the hat, the hidden Mickey is long gone.

This is, indeed, a cool hidden Mickey.

spacemt354

Chili's
But as a hypothetical, would the Carthay Circle Theater have worked better at the Disney-MGM Studios than the Chinese Theatre? If so, why?

Actually, there already is a smaller scale of the Carthay Circle Theater on Sunset Boulevard. It's the Once Upon a Time gift shop.

But, hypothetically, I believe a much grander Carthay Circle Theater as the park's initial "weenie" would have been a better option than the Chinese Theatre

Why? For a few reasons:
1.) The Carthay Circle Theater held Disney's first full-length feature film, Snow White, as well as Fantasia, which was presented using the most advanced audio system of its day.

2.) The Carthay Circle Theater doesn't exist anymore. I can go visit the real Chinese Theatre. I can't go visit the real Carthay Circle Theater anymore because it has been torn down. I believe bringing something back to life that doesn't exist anymore transports me back in time more effectively.

3.) The Chinese Theatre in Hollywood is on the actual Hollywood Boulevard. Why in DHS is it at the end of a Circle? Carthay Circle Theater is just as its name suggests. The theater used to be a circle. That would have fit perfectly inside the hub and spoke model that the park has adopted. Technically, we could have had the Chinese Theatre on the side of Hollywood Boulevard with the Great Movie Ride, and the Carthay Circle Theater in the giant open space that would exist in Hollywood Studios if the hat is removed.

4.) The Carthay Circle Theater provided the location of the unofficial/official beginning to Disney animation. One Man's Dream could have been the attraction inside the Carthay Circle Theater. Now, yes it's just a building. But without those premieres inside that building, who knows? DHS maybe wouldn't even exist. It ties in much better with Disney and the Disney story than the Chinese Theatre.

And even in this hypothetical scenario, I still feel that the Earful Tower should be the park's icon into the future.

lazyboy97o

1.) The Carthay Circle Theater held Disney's first full-length feature film, Snow White, as well as Fantasia, which was presented using the most advanced audio system of its day.
4.) The Carthay Circle Theater provided the location of the unofficial/official beginning to Disney animation. One Man's Dream could have been the attraction inside the Carthay Circle Theater. Now, yes it's just a building. But without those premieres inside that building, who knows? DHS maybe wouldn't even exist. It ties in much better with Disney and the Disney story than the Chinese Theatre.
I think the Carthay Circle has artificially been given a significance it did not actually have in Disney history. The Chinese Theatre, as well as others, hosted Disney premiers. If not at the Carthay Circle, the would have premiered elsewhere as both were slated for distribution. If any theater is deserving of greater recognition I think it would be the Colony Theater of New York, as Steamboat Willie played there as part of a deal directly between Disney and the theater and enabled the Mickey mouse cartoons to be picked up for distribution.

2.) The Carthay Circle Theater doesn't exist anymore. I can go visit the real Chinese Theatre. I can't go visit the real Carthay Circle Theater anymore because it has been torn down. I believe bringing something back to life that doesn't exist anymore transports me back in time more effectively.
This is a good point, but I question how much visual recognition there is between the idea of a Golden Age of Hollywood and the Carthay Circle Theater.

3.) The Chinese Theatre in Hollywood is on the actual Hollywood Boulevard. Why in DHS is it at the end of a Circle? Carthay Circle Theater is just as its name suggests. The theater used to be a circle. That would have fit perfectly inside the hub and spoke model that the park has adopted. Technically, we could have had the Chinese Theatre on the side of Hollywood Boulevard with the Great Movie Ride, and the Carthay Circle Theater in the giant open space that would exist in Hollywood Studios if the hat is removed.
I am not really sure I understand this. Are you suggesting two theaters?

And even in this hypothetical scenario, I still feel that the Earful Tower should be the park's icon into the future.
And on that we agree.

FettFan

Hi folks,Me again with another question,I know," what's he wanting to know now "? It's came to my conclusion whilst being a member on this magical site,that lots of you don't like Mickeys sorcerer hat at HS. I'll never forget my first visit back in 2004. I saw Cinderellas castle and my jaw went into lock position,then Spaceship Earth and again I was in awe,the Tree of life at AK was another awesome feat with all those animal etches,and last but not least,Mickeys magic hat. Cool really cool,as I stood looking up Hollywood Boulevard I thought now that looks so much better than the pics I had seen.So why do so many people not like it?:(

Because it's a piece of crap that has outlived its usefulness.

3492410349_e02e039465.jpg

Clever Name

They need to make the hat larger and have a full stage under the hat. When a show is about to begin, the entire hat would have a strange and pulsating blue glow. They could perform hip-hop and break dancing numbers.

loveofamouse

I saw DHS without, as a child and teen. I don't mind the hat. I think it's more eye catching than the theatre.

I think people complain because it's not original. If it had been there the day the park opened, I think most people wouldn't complain. The complainers also must not be the majority since it is still there. Now, I do agree that it could definitely be more than just a shop and stage. Maybe it could be a walk through paying homage to the old film processes, art and animation, and history.

As far as icons go:

The castle, functionwise, doesn't really match MK since very little of the park actually had to do with the princesses and princes. Prior to the expansion, the only things related to the royals was the caraussel, SW's ride, and that was pretty much it. It was also a store as I do remember a shop with a whole lotta breakables. Other than that, it was nothing.

The Epcot globe houses a kodak shop and guest services and a ride that, while it is a favorite of many including me, isn't much. It also used to have a wand that people complained about. Personally, I liked it.

Really, the only icon that truly fit with theme and function is the tree at AK.

JMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom