Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

Indy_UK

Ouch. Thanks for that.

I guess it's another case that people can't moan, because they will continue to pay. Between now and galaxies edge open it's going to be brutal but then I can see another round of price hikes before the 50th

surfsupdon

You dont eat or drink at any restaurant or stand on disney property?
I was referring to the products that were listed. Yes I stand on Disney property and eat and drink while there. However I do not purchase sugared drinks or high caloric drinks; likewise I do not purchase snacks high in sugars and calories....no pretzels, churros, ice creams, cookies, and the like.

I prefer water, fresh fruit, and veggies. And the occassional Mickey ice cream, as I said. I have not read the entire thread, it was my understanding only some things increased, not all. Either way, if I am hungry or thirsty, I will pay the price to satisfy. But a want is different than a need, and I can control myself and my purchases.

Missing20K

I can guarantee they aren't actually shooting for lower volume. That's just corporate PR spin for the attempted quarter-to-quarter band-aid of an attendence growth stagnation over the past couple years, IMO.

Maybe I should have said minimal volume growth and exponential (see what I did there) margin growth.

But I agree, no business would purposefully aim for lower volume, I was just trying to use a bit of hyperbole.

Lensman

People buy $2,300,000 cars and $20,000 wrist watches. I'm sure they feel it is worth it. But I am at a loss as to what their Rolex does that my Timex doesn't do.
I hope it doesn't annoy you that I'm in good faith answering your implied question about whether people who buy supercars and luxury watches see value, but I figure I may as well derail the thread as much as it's already derailed.

I think there are two main subsegments of purchasers of these products, IMHO:
1. Status purchasers - these people are primarily purchasing status and also possibly beauty (in the eye of them, the beholder)
2. Enthusiast collectors - two motivations here, uniqueness of feature / collectible value, and an appreciation of engineering excellence.

As a matter of personal experience, I've since decided against purchase, but for years I've really wanted a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-Thin Perpetual Calendar. Here's a review with pictures:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/jaegerlecoultre-master-ultra-thin-perpetual-calendar

So the main thing you have to buy into is the concept that it's worth buying a mechanical watch that gets all its energy from a coiled spring that is wound manually or uses motion to self-wind. That gets you into the world where additional features (called complications) are implemented by masterful engineering that is worth paying thousands of dollars for. In the case of the JLC Ultra-Thin Perpetual, the feature complication is the perpetual calendar, which not only maintains the day and date through regular years like annual calendar watches, but also maintains the date properly through leap years. Note that most mechanical watches with a calendar (non-annual calendar and obviously non-perpetual calendar) have to be adjusted every month to account for months that aren't 31 days long. This sounds like a chore but it's not much more adjustment than any other mechanical watch since they are at best accurate to only +- 5 seconds per day.

:banghead:

You try bringing in food for 6 people into the parks, and not have a wagon to cart it around. A cooler big enough for all that isn't going to fit into a locker.
Such a tired excuse and frankly a comment devoid of any rational thought. But I forgot the pixie dust inhalers, like yourself, don't have such a thing.
Touche! I'm a bit naive on the logistics on bringing in food for a family of 6. That would be be tuff.
Like I said earlier in the thread, we have breakfast in our room and brown-bag lunch 1-2 times in a week-long visit, but bring in bottled water almost every day. We are going to get the refillable water bottles with filters for next time, though!

Note: I do still resent the big price increases on food over the years. (Sorry, I felt I had to say that in order to not be called names by other posters who would try to intimidate me into silence)

I think the price increases are both part of the annual price gouging as well designed to get a short-term boost in revenue to maintain margins for the next quarterly report. I don't like them both because they feel gougy plus they will erode brand loyalty and push down attendance and revenue over time.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I hope it doesn't annoy you that I'm in good faith answering your implied question about whether people who buy supercars and luxury watches see value, but I figure I may as well derail the thread as much as it's already derailed.

1. Status purchasers - these people are primarily purchasing status and also possibly beauty (in the eye of them, the beholder)
2. Enthusiast collectors - two motivations here, uniqueness of feature / collectible value, and an appreciation of engineering excellence.

As a matter of personal experience, I've since decided against purchase, but for years I've really wanted a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-Thin Perpetual Calendar. Here's a review with pictures:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/jaegerlecoultre-master-ultra-thin-perpetual-calendar

So the main thing you have to buy into is the concept that it's worth buying a mechanical watch that gets all its energy from a coiled spring that is wound manually or uses motion to self-wind. That gets you into the world where additional features (called complications) are implemented by masterful engineering that is worth paying thousands of dollars for. In the case of the JLC Ultra-Thin Perpetual, the feature complication is the perpetual calendar, which not only maintains the day and date through regular years like annual calendar watches, but also maintains the date properly through leap years. Note that most mechanical watches with a calendar (non-annual calendar and obviously non-perpetual calendar) have to be adjusted every month to account for months that aren't 31 days long. This sounds like a chore but it's not much more adjustment than any other mechanical watch since they are at best accurate to only +- 5 seconds per day.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we have breakfast in our room and brown-bag lunch 1-2 times in a week-long visit, but bring in bottled water almost every day. We are going to get the refillable water bottles with filters for next time, though!

Note: I do still resent the big price increases on food over the years. (Sorry, I felt I had to say that in order to not be called names by other posters who would try to intimidate me into silence)

I think the price increases are both part of the annual price gouging as well designed to get a short-term boost in revenue to maintain margins for the next quarterly report. I don't like them both because they feel gougy plus they will erode brand loyalty and push down attendance and revenue over time.
I see and hear this a lot, but in what reality are prices stagnant in any other Entertainment industry? None. movies, concerts, sporting events, cruises, heck even mini golf has gone up consistently. I don't like it either but its been the norm for quite some time now. 50 cent increases shouldn't honestly disgust anyone. If you want to talk about how the higher ups have been running (in the ground) the 4 parks in Orlando the last 20 or so years, have at it and its justified, but don't use these minor increases as a scapegoat (and I am not pointing you out specifically @Lensman , just in general)

Lensman

I see and hear this a lot, but in what reality are prices stagnant in any other Entertainment industry? None. movies, concerts, sporting events, cruises, heck even mini golf has gone up consistently. I don't like it either but its been the norm for quite some time now. 50 cent increases shouldn't honestly disgust anyone. If you want to talk about how the higher ups have been running (in the ground) the 4 parks in Orlando the last 20 or so years, have at it and its justified, but don't use these minor increases as a scapegoat (and I am not pointing you out specifically @Lensman , just in general)
In my case I actually feel even more resentful towards those other businesses and act accordingly. Though in the movie theater case I feel less harshly after reading that article about how increased concession prices help to keep ticket prices lower.

To me it's not the 50 cents this year (though as a percentage increase that's remarkably high), but the percentage increases over time.

(Thanks for the consideration, btw!)

LSLS

I was referring to the products that were listed. Yes I stand on Disney property and eat and drink while there. However I do not purchase sugared drinks or high caloric drinks; likewise I do not purchase snacks high in sugars and calories....no pretzels, churros, ice creams, cookies, and the like.

I prefer water, fresh fruit, and veggies. And the occassional Mickey ice cream, as I said. I have not read the entire thread, it was my understanding only some things increased, not all. Either way, if I am hungry or thirsty, I will pay the price to satisfy. But a want is different than a need, and I can control myself and my purchases.

Nope, everything. Some restaurants up to 20%.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Liking the stainless steel option .

mwlillie

So, and I'm just guessing here :), that the long term strategic vision of the Disney Corporation is to have only 500 people visiting each of the four Disneyworld parks on a daily basis but each paying $25K per day. That should about equal the yearly revenue at the parks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
According to a September menu, Chicken Nuggets and fish platter at Columbia Harbor house was $9.99. It is now $12.49. I actually lowballed, that's a 25% increase. Chilli Cheese Dog at Casey's saw the same increase. Many places saw at least a $0.50-$1.00 raise in prices (which can be anywhere from about 7-15%).

That's just unbelievable. Can't have anything be considered a "good value" in the parks anymore, I guess.

Because they obviously want more and more of them, they may not get any of my vacation dollars anymore... Once we see the AP price increase and the next regular ticket price increase, we're gonna have to think long and hard on this. It's becoming harder and harder to justify the prices Disney wants to charge. And as someone who has been visiting WDW since 1977, and is somewhere my whole family all consider(ed) our "happy place", I cannot properly convey just how sad that thought makes me. :(

eddie104

That's just unbelievable. Can't have anything be considered a "good value" in the parks anymore, I guess.

Because they obviously want more and more of them, they may not get any of my vacation dollars anymore... Once we see the AP price increase and the next regular ticket price increase, we're gonna have to think long and hard on this. It's becoming harder and harder to justify the prices Disney wants to charge. And as someone who has been visiting WDW since 1977, and is somewhere my whole family all consider(ed) our "happy place", I cannot properly convey just how sad that thought makes me. :(
You have been going since 1977 and expect prices to stay the same ? Can people please on this thread get a grip and face reality that Disney has been doing this for a long time and yet didn't stop you from coming all this time. I just don't understand the outrage and posters being blatant bullies because some people don't agree with them.

Last edited:

BigThunderMatt

You have been going since 1977 and expect prices stay the same ? Can people please on this thread get a grip and face reality that Disney has been doing this for a long time and yet didn't stop you from coming all this time. I just don't understand the outrage and posters being blatant bullies because some people don't agree with them.

A dollar increase for one size of soda when the other size went up like 0.40¢ screams arbitrary increase. They were already greatly profiting from the prices of things and nobody here is suddenly acting shocked that they raise prices and they aren't, as you state, "1977 prices". But most of us here have enough common sense to know when pricing is going up because it's just that time of year and when it's a blatant money grab. You're new but you're not going to be very popular here being in the apologist camp. Some of us here actually think Disney is not infallible and should be held accountable for their business decisions.

disneyflush

You have been going since 1977 and expect prices stay the same ? Can people please on this thread get a grip and face reality that Disney has been doing this for a long time and yet didn't stop you from coming all this time. I just don't understand the outrage and posters being blatant bullies because some people don't agree with them.

Just a complete misinterpretation of what he and others are saying. Yes, I'm sure he would not expect prices to rise in 41 years, great summation. If you've made it 30 pages and don't see the argument being the speed/amount of the price increases lately versus some imagined outrage that prices go up in this world then you have missed most of the conversation.

eddie104

A dollar increase for one size of soda when the other size went up like 0.40¢ screams arbitrary increase. They were already greatly profiting from the prices of things and nobody here is suddenly acting shocked that they raise prices and they aren't, as you state, "1977 prices". But most of us here have enough common sense to know when pricing is going up because it's just that time of year and when it's a blatant money grab. You're new but you're not going to be very popular here being in the apologist camp. Some of us here actually think Disney is not infallible and should be held accountable for their business decisions.
Are you some authority on new forum members Lol and I don't care about being popular and if you think your in the majority that is fine but I like being independent and having my own mind not repeating something because everyone else is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom