Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

MaxW

It’s extortion. But what choice do you have. When my family went last August I started every day loaded down with bottles of water in my back pack. In 96 degrees it’s a safety issue not staying hydrated. If you want to gouge people on soda so be it, but at least give people a break on water.
are there not water fountains? bottled water is a convenience.

MaxW

“Don’t like it don’t go”

“These prices are in line with Baseball stadium prices”

“Disney is a business”

Yes, we already know those three things. No need for the usual suspects to post those hot takes ad naseum.
As people who whine aren't ad naseum as well? what kind of echo chamber do you want if opinions that don't match yours deserve to be silenced?

LSLS

I can't speak for anyone else. For me, the answer is simple. I don't think I'm getting screwed. Simple as that.

I know, on these boards unless you think Bob Iger is the devil incarnate, you are a heretic. But I still think Walt Disney World represents a good value for what you get. (Yup, I know what I just said. Constructed that sentence deliberately. And mean it.)

As I've said in other threads, my family and I spent a weekend in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area last month. We went to Dollywood for a couple of days while we were there. All throughout that vacation, my wife and I kept talking about we don't get how people can say Disney's costs are so ridiculous when you look at what other vacation destinations cost. When we were at Dollywood, we kept joking that we needed to go back to WDW where things are cheap.

Is Disney focusing more on short-term profit than they did in the past? Yes. Have the prices on things risen faster than they should? Yes. Would Walt be happy with how expensive the parks are? Probably not. But, still, we enjoy WDW immensely and I think that what we get is worth what we pay for it.

Go ahead. Grab the pitchforks.

Interesting. We debated a quick disney trip or weekend at cedar point over father's day. We went cedar point, and tickets, hotel, food, and drink packages cost us less than just the tickets to Disney would have. All we talked about was how much we enjoyed it and cant wait to go back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's always those with no explanation or defense of their position who turn to insults as their retort.

It wasn’t an insult...it’s just a tired routine.

Are you going to argue that a move to $15 in 3 years is a crushing blow to operations now?

I went through the scenario of what a $1 increase in bottle water does to offset that pay raise in literally about 15 minutes...years ahead.

This is about a theme park complex...not an economic theory “think tank”.

It’s not wages that drives the prices in the swamp...it never has been. It’s about generating operating capital, dividends and bumping the stock price in penny increments over time..

It is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This DVCer hasn’t stepped foot in a WDW Park for almost 3 years. We rented our points this year to help cover our Alaska cruise (on DCL, naturally)

Between 1998 and 2015, we took anywhere from 2-6 trips per year to WDW, most times renting a car and stopping at Publix for groceries (on a long trip) or at least the Hess (RIP) for a case of water on our short trips. We LOVED the F&W Festival until a few years ago when we saw the prices go up and the portions go down. Price increases along the way, when the portion size didn’t diminish, were ok with us, but I won’t pay more for less.

We would usually breakfast in the room and loved table service dinners (and often lunches too)...until making the DDP seem to have more value by jacking up the cost of dining got to us.

We live in NYC. It’s expensive for sure, but I don’t feel like the COL here has increased quite so exponentially as WDW has over the last 3 years.

ADD045CB-6FD8-45F2-AF5B-B2AE2BBDD141.jpeg

BoarderPhreak

What you call "false equivalencies" the rest of the world calls Economics. You can't give all of your staff a massive pay increase and maintain it without raising prices to cover those costs.
They're not incurring costs that have to be covered - they're getting a better deal on taxes. The idea being that the savings are then passed onto the employees as "the right thing to do."

WDWTank

Looks like prices are increasing a lot...according to Twitter:

Regular Drinks: $3.29 > $3.99

Large Drinks: $3.79 >$4.49

Bottled Sodas: $4 > $4.50

Mickey pretzel $6 > $7

Ice Cream: $5 > $5.75

Frozen bannas $5.75

Churros: $6.25
Disney has really gotta stop catering to the elites. This and Club 33.

DisneyDaver

It’s not wages that drives the prices in the swamp...it never has been. It’s about generating operating capital, dividends and bumping the stock price in penny increments over time..

You are 100% right about what is driving the price increases (it's not wage increases)... but, so what. If increased prices means more profits, then why not increase prices. We are talking about a luxury item here in a WDW vacation. A number of years ago, I decided to spend more of my Orlando vacation dollars at Universal instead of WDW because I decided I got more value as an adult at Universal (for many of the reasons people complain about WDW on these boards). But now that I have young kids, I am back to spending all my Orlando vacation dollars at WDW because for my family's enjoyment, WDW now has more value than Universal. I'm all for WDW, Universal and other entertainment options setting their prices at any level, and then I get to decide where to spend my money based on where I see value.

At some point, prices at WDW will rise to the point where profits look like they may fall and then the increases will stop. As much as I wish WDW were cheaper, I recognize it's Disney's product so Disney can price the product however Disney think is best for Disney. And that is how it should be. If people keep buying the product, then I don't blame Disney for increasing prices (or adding uncharges for services, events, hours, benefits which the market will bear).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are 100% right about what is driving the price increases (it's not wage increases)... but, so what. If increased prices means more profits, then why not increase prices. We are talking about a luxury item here in a WDW vacation. A number of years ago, I decided to spend more of my Orlando vacation dollars at Universal instead of WDW because I decided I got more value as an adult at Universal (for many of the reasons people complain about WDW on these boards). But now that I have young kids, I am back to spending all my Orlando vacation dollars at WDW because for my family's enjoyment, WDW now has more value than Universal. I'm all for WDW, Universal and other entertainment options setting their prices at any level, and then I get to decide where to spend my money based on where I see value.

At some point, prices at WDW will rise to the point where profits look like they may fall and then the increases will stop. As much as I wish WDW were cheaper, I recognize it's Disney's product so Disney can price the product however Disney think is best for Disney. And that is how it should be. If people keep buying the product, then I don't blame Disney for increasing prices (or adding uncharges for services, events, hours, benefits which the market will bear).

I agree with you 99%

The other 1% is “luxury”

If people continue to use that label and they try to continue to price that way...it’s like plowing through the iceberg.

The next recession will show how bad an approach that is.

MrPromey

My reply was not meant to imply that you are an idiot or stupid. It was to get the explanation out there for people that don't understand it.

As far as it being "as cheap as people think," generic syrup from sams club/Costco is almost $60 for a 5 gallon bag. The way people talk about it, you'd think it was only a few pennies per drink. Let's assume Disney pays half that to Coke. In that case, a 32oz cup will use around 25 cents in syrup.

Yes, after adding in the cost for water, ice, electricity, filter changes, bulk CO2 and the cups, it will still cost Disney (or McDonalds) less than 50 cents to produce a 32 oz drink. But, that is a lot higher than the amount that most people "think" it costs.

I getcha.

Sorry for getting my nose bent out of joint on it. :(

WDWTank

Are you joking Or
Serious? CL33 is small. Totally different than the cost of water for everyone. What percentage of average daily attendance in CL33 members? It’s very low. Cost of
Anything has zero to
Do
With this
What I meant to say was by adding Club 33 to every park in WDW, combined with budget cuts, increased prices, temporary attractions, and movie-tie-in-oblivion, it seems as if WDW is trying to cater more to the Elites, rather than tourists and middle class locals. Don’t forget the $600 Tomorrowland Cabanas!

AEfx

My reply was not meant to imply that you are an idiot or stupid. It was to get the explanation out there for people that don't understand it.

As far as it being "as cheap as people think," generic syrup from sams club/Costco is almost $60 for a 5 gallon bag. The way people talk about it, you'd think it was only a few pennies per drink. Let's assume Disney pays half that to Coke. In that case, a 32oz cup will use around 25 cents in syrup.

Yes, after adding in the cost for water, ice, electricity, filter changes, bulk CO2 and the cups, it will still cost Disney (or McDonalds) less than 50 cents to produce a 32 oz drink. But, that is a lot higher than the amount that most people "think" it costs.

While your point is well- taken, the amount of promotional consideration Disney receives from exclusively promoting Coke products is likely tremendous - their contract is so tight, you literally cannot buy a Pepsi product on Disney property, even at the third-party owned gas stations. It has been established in the past that it is a myth that Disney gets it for "free", but they also do get a very severe discount/subsidy arrangement which is why Coke is so prominently branded all over those cups and stations, etc.

That said, even if it costs 50 cents (I'd guesstimate it is more in the 30-cent range, but have nothing other than assumption on that one, like anyone else), that really is "pennies" to most people (conceptually if not technically) when you compare the cost.

I'm from the North East, which is one of the most expensive places in the nation for food. So I used to think the prices at WDW were decently reasonable. That has markedly changed in the past ten years or so, and really so much so in the last few. I mean, $13 for a fast food burger "hot" off the warmer with a small handful of okay-if-you-douse-in-ketchup fries? With this price increase on drinks, with tax we are hitting $20 for a fast food meal. So a family of four is looking at $80 for what is really a small amount of food.

Some will compare this to a movie or a football game, but clearly - this is different. Those are individual vendors trying to make ancillary money - either the theaters, or those running the sport venues. In this case, it all goes to Disney. The problem is, Disney finance treats each restaurant like it is independent, which is one reason we have seen such extreme cuts in quantity/quality and such massive increases in price. You also don't spend a week eating at those venues - most people don't even eat a "meal" there if they are smart ("fork and dine" excluded), let alone three meals a day for a week when captive on property.

That's where I think this bubble will burst ultimately with Disney - it's no longer just a premium hotel cost to stay on property, it is starting to cost so much more to stay on property to eat that you can easily cover the cost of a rental car just eating a few off-property meals. And people who have cars can go other places, too - like Universal. It is taking us back before MYW, when they almost made it seem a bargain to stay for longer. Everything else has gotten so expensive around it, the savings on admission looks worse and worse every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom