Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

matt9112

I have DVC and never set foot in the kitchen...I do that at home.

I bought becusee I know the beast and the hotels were gonna get jacked into low orbit...primarily to sell DVC. They can’t resist the allure of no housekeeping.

But I don’t care what they charge me for the snacks...I’m on vacation.

But I don’t think I have the authority to tell everyone they shoudn’t care.

no some of us have to still look at that bank account while on vacation....yeah i know maybe we shouldnt be on vacation blah blah blah mearly peasant folk. to be fair i brought my own lunch once and hated it. legit sitting there eating ham and cheese and being surounded by real food. what we do now is half day parks...well we did i let APs lapse but same with universal now go for morning or evening and buy one meal on site.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Too bad they dont have McDonalds & Wendys in the parks. But, I'm sure the line would be 2 miles long.
Well, in Toto, I'd say they used to have a McD french fry stand, and felt it would be better if they closed it.

And the last Wendy's burger I tried had so much ketchup on it I couldn't eat it.

matt9112

i think the real complaint isnt price increases at face value its that the overall resort has cheapened the experience while increasing the costs of said experience ALOT. if the resort was run like it was in say 85 or hell even 95 would we care about current pricing? well less likely IMHO. they cut staffing and lower food quality etc and than ask for more thats the crux to me.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Except that by all accounts, Disney DOES need more customers. Attendance is reported to be down, and their response is to jack up in park prices for food. Yes, they may be sending out newly targeted room discounts, but they are cutting services and increasing prices elsewhere.

This says all you need to know about where their priorities are. They are not with the guest or their experience, they are with the stock analysts.

Lensman

no some of us have to still look at that bank account while on vacation....yeah i know maybe we shouldnt be on vacation blah blah blah mearly peasant folk. to be fair i brought my own lunch once and hated it. legit sitting there eating ham and cheese and being surounded by real food. what we do now is half day parks...well we did i let APs lapse but same with universal now go for morning or evening and buy one meal on site.
I think (most) everyone pays attention to value even when they're on vacation. Even the people in this thread who say they can afford the onsite prices don't like the price increases because it makes the onsite food seem to be not worth what you're paying. No one likes that. I think @Sirwalterraleigh even categorized this as a separate negative [edit: to WDW attendance] category, there were the category 2 people who were priced out of their affordability and there were the category 3 people who could afford the prices but who felt taken advantage of and so who were going to go less or stop. And no one is looking down on anyone here. Even the small subset of people hoping for lowered crowds are really just looking for a silver lining in this dark cloud of price increases. And the only sin of the one person who mentioned the possible silver lining of "maybe this means there will be less rude drunk people?" is that they jump to the conclusion that rude drunk people might have less money than the polite considerate people. (Looking at my relatives they might be right)

Anyway, I didn't want you to feel targeted by your fellow forum members.

One last thing on the subject: I remember reading the book The Millionaire Next Door many years ago. There are some flaws to the study presented in it, but the concepts and ideas certainly resonated with me. The take-home was that most "rich people" (as represented by the titular "millionaire") aren't the idle rich who are wealthy by birth. Neither are the bulk of them fat-cat corporate executives or hedge fund managers. Instead, the majority were small-business owners who drove a older model used car and were very careful with their money - rich through hard work and savings. Now this doesn't capture the "one percent", but it does capture a lot of the upper middle class people that I know - shop owners, skilled tradesmen, engineers, and technologists. One thing I learned in life is that you only need to be poor once in order to understand the value of a dollar.

Now onto my favorite subject, the brown bag lunch at WDW. :) Even when we were brown-bagging it 10-15 years ago, I did the math and figured out there was no limit to how fancy your brown bag lunch could be. It would always be a better value than the QS lunches. You could bring fois gras, brie, and bread made from imported french flour and still save money. You could certainly have jamon Iberico and real Swiss emmentaler and still save money (though it might be a crime if you made a sandwich and put mustard on it). But back to reality, I could have an unlimited brown bag budget at Publix and still save money compared to eating in the parks. Unfortunately as I said in an earlier post, this led to the orgy of impulse purchases and good intentions during our grocery run at the beginning of every trip. :)

The other thing we do some of is park-hop, which enabled us to eat outside the parks while we are hopping. But I agree with you, mostly what we did was hold our noses (at the malodorous prices) and ate in the park when necessary. By the end of the trip I'd gotten quite good at living in a state of price denial where I just wouldn't look at the prices and we would just order what we wanted, billing everything to the room.

Last edited:

Maeryk

Except that by all accounts, Disney DOES need more customers. Attendance is reported to be down, and their response is to jack up in park prices for food. Yes, they may be sending out newly targeted room discounts, but they are cutting services and increasing prices elsewhere.

My bet is it's to make the dining plan look more attractive.

We've done the cost benefit analysis on the dining plan for our last couple of trips, and it breaks out fairly close, with the plan only being a better value if we a doing several sit down that would normally be on the expensive side.

But with all the incidentals jumping in price like that, it might make it an actual value for some people, rather than just a percieved convenience value.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think (most) everyone pays attention to value even when they're on vacation. Even the people in this thread who say they can afford the onsite prices don't like the price increases because it makes the onsite food seem to be not worth what you're paying. No one likes that. I think @Sirwalterraleigh even categorized this as a separate negative category, there were the category 2 people who were priced out of their affordability and there were the category 3 people who could afford the prices but who felt taken advantage of and so who were going to go less or stop. And no one is looking down on anyone here. Even the small subset of people hoping for lowered crowds are really just looking for a silver lining in this dark cloud of price increases. And the only sin of the one person who mentioned the possible silver lining of "maybe this means there will be less rude drunk people?" is that they jump to the conclusion that rude drunk people might have less money than the polite considerate people. (Looking at my relatives they might be right)

Anyway, I didn't want you to feel targeted by your fellow forum members.

One last thing on the subject: I remember reading the book The Millionaire Next Door many years ago. There are some flaws to the study presented in it, but the concepts and ideas certainly resonated with me. The take-home was that most "rich people" (as represented by the titular "millionaire") aren't the idle rich who are wealthy by birth. Neither are the bulk of them fat-cat corporate executives or hedge fund managers. Instead, the majority were small-business owners who drove a older model used car and were very careful with their money - rich through hard work and savings. Now this doesn't capture the "one percent", but it does capture a lot of the upper middle class people that I know - shop owners, skilled tradesmen, engineers, and technologists. One thing I learned in life is that you only need to be poor once in order to understand the value of a dollar.

Now onto my favorite subject, the brown bag lunch at WDW. :) Even when we were brown-bagging it 10-15 years ago, I did the math and figured out there was no limit to how fancy your brown bag lunch could be. It would always be a better value than the QS lunches. You could bring fois gras, brie, and bread made from imported french flour and still save money. You could certainly have jamon Iberico and real Swiss emmentaler and still save money (though it might be a crime if you made a sandwich and put mustard on it). But back to reality, I could have an unlimited brown bag budget at Publix and still save money compared to eating in the parks. Unfortunately as I said in an earlier post, this led to the orgy of impulse purchases and good intentions during our grocery run at the beginning of every trip. :)

The other thing we do some of is park-hop, which enabled us to eat outside the parks while we are hopping. But I agree with you, mostly what we did was hold our noses (at the malodorous prices) and ate in the park when necessary. By the end of the trip I'd gotten quite good at living in a state of price denial where I just wouldn't look at the prices and we would just order what we wanted, billing everything to the room.

I did categorize that as separate demographics...but not “negative ones”.

Reality is reality no matter the “tone”. I think you found an implication where nothing was actually implied.

Many different types in the “melting pot” of lake buena vista...but obviously some are a lot more prevelant than others.

Maeryk

Come on now. You didn't think the pay increases were coming out of Disney's margins did ya?
No business increases pay out of it's margins. At least not one that wants to stay around long.

Labor is a production cost that needs to be covered in the base price of the product.

Not defending Disney specifically, but that's just a standard rule of business.

Lensman

I did categorize that as separate demographics...but not “negative ones”.

Reality is reality no matter the “tone”. I think you found an implication where nothing was actually implied.

Many different types in the “melting pot” of lake buena vista...but obviously some are a lot more prevelant than others.
By "negative", I meant negative to WDW attendance.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

We've done the cost benefit analysis on the dining plan for our last couple of trips, and it breaks out fairly close, with the plan only being a better value if we a doing several sit down that would normally be on the expensive side.

But with all the incidentals jumping in price like that, it might make it an actual value for some people, rather than just a percieved convenience value.

Until the next DDP price increase. I imagine next year's DDP could cost 6-8% more than this year's per night, at a minimum. This will satisfy their need for "Increased guest spending" on the quarterly report.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Until the next DDP price increase. I imagine next year's DDP could cost 6-8% more than this year's per night, at a minimum. This will satisfy their need for "Increased guest spending" on the quarterly report.

The dining plan jumped the shark long ago...if they raise the prices...then raise the prices of the dining plan to let you “save”...it’s the most obvious shell game in history.

And that is exactly what they have done since it’s inception.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The dining plan jumped the shark long ago...if they raise the prices...then raise the prices of the dining plan to let you “save”...it’s the most obvious shell game in history.

At least in its first few years, you had a chance of choosing the shell with the prize underneath. ;) We saved some money, not a ton but some, when it included gratuity and it wasn't priced so out of reality. We'd often be grabbing a dozen snacks (which often meant I could get Mickey Ice Cream Bars as many times as I wanted :p) on our last day to use up snack credits.

Maeryk

The changes they have made to it make it more attractive to me now. Allowing substitutions is a big one.. (I don't eat sweets, so being forced into a dessert was a huge ripoff) and expanding the menus so it feels less like a bait and switch are big pluses to me.

On certain trips it actually works out better for us to use the meal plan, but we crunch numbers hard based on our reservations and such to pick the better option on each trip.

BigThunderMatt

The changes they have made to it make it more attractive to me now. Allowing substitutions is a big one.. (I don't eat sweets, so being forced into a dessert was a huge ripoff) and expanding the menus so it feels less like a bait and switch are big pluses to me.

On certain trips it actually works out better for us to use the meal plan, but we crunch numbers hard based on our reservations and such to pick the better option on each trip.

Honestly if you get the deluxe plan you can double up on signatures every night and not feel like you're having to spend a huge chunk of your day eating to get your money's worth.

Patcheslee

I've already read comments of "glad we got the dining plan" on other social media. Yes you pretty much pay a fixed cost on DDP but you are getting the same food as when it was cheaper. I have yet to find the new prices for the TS character meals had planned to book since the increase except BOG going up $5 which wasn't even in the plans.

Some QS locations have dropped the most expensive item off their menus according to MDE. Example: Katsura Grill there was a combo that included ice cream and a drink for $18.95. Now to get the same meal is $20.05 because it has to be bought separate. More expensive out of pocket, or on DDP you have to use a QS AND a snack credit, so both still pay more.

Feel bad for the people who booked their TS 180 out and planned budget accordingly only to be showing up now with paying more than expected. Hopefully that won't cause some to make up for the increase by tipping less. "We budgeted $100 and a $20 tip, price went up $10 so we can only give a $10 tip."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Feel bad for the people who booked their TS 180 out and planned budget accordingly only to be showing up now with paying more than expected. Hopefully that won't cause some to make up for the increase by tipping less. "We budgeted $100 and a $20 tip, price went up $10 so we can only give a $10 tip."

We've found that, when using the dining plan, the server at a Table Service location rarely earns a 15% tip, let alone a 20% tip. This was not a one-trip phenomenon, either, it was over multiple trips across multiple years, both when gratuity was included in the DDP and after it was removed. I can't remember the exact year, I think it may have been 2010 or 2011, but our lunch at Coral Reef was one of the worst service experiences we've had on-property. Once the server learned we were on the dining plan, there was little effort given. The food, at the time, was mediocre, at best. I think I had a steak that was ... well, let's just say it was a poor quality steak. Our server disappeared for roughly half our meal, meaning we could not see him anywhere, at any table. Our drinks got refilled once the entire meal. We haven't been back since. This has not really happened, however, at places like the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Always have had good service there, dining plan or not, and they have earned a good tip every single time. Whispering Canyon Cafe is another place that we had good service and good food.

eliza61nyc

I think most folks (of course I don't know everyone) plan for a little wiggle room in their budgets. So if I eat 4 TS over a 7 night trip, that would only be an additional 40 dollars.
Not being insensitive, just thinking especially at wdw most will be able to not stiff the servers.

BigThunderMatt

Now to get the same meal is $20.05 because it has to be bought separate. More expensive out of pocket, or on DDP you have to use a QS AND a snack credit, so both still pay more.

That actually isn't true. They removed the option to get a dessert with quick service and gave an extra snack instead. If you use the snack to get a dessert anyway with every QS you still ultimately end up with the same amount of snack credits you would have had on the old plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom