Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

dreamfinder

Do not mistake the recent price increases as standard regularly scheduled price increases. They are a quick way to prop up the numbers in the face of a dramatic drop in attendance. The price hikes along with entertainment cuts are a band-aid to make the financial numbers look good. There was no long term planning here.

Makes sense, but do you think the prices will go back down when attendance returns? Of course not.

EthylCooper

Why the heck do people get emotionally invested in a place that has proven 9009 ways it is interested in the bottom line.

Walt Disney's business model was the exact opposite of that: "Do a good job. You don't have to worry about the money; it will take care of itself. Just do your best work — then try to trump it."

Most of us became emotionally invested during time periods when the company was following his lead.

This is why we bring LARGE stainless steel insulated water cups/bottles and refill for free at drink stations or ask for 3-4 ice waters at QS locations without self serve drinks and refill each 32oz canteen/cup etc. you should be drinking water anyway to stay hydrated in this Florida heat. I enjoy a nice frozen lemonade but that’s the only drinks we really purchase other than alcoholic 😂. And The snacks we partake in of course.... it’s vacation! we loveeee mickey shaped everything! 😁

Casper Gutman

In every thread like this, there’s a subset of posters who defend WDW, implicitly or explicitly bragging that Disney has yet to price them out. Well, it’s pretty obvious that at some point, if current trends continue, WDW will price them out. And even if they don’t, prices will outpace perceived value for enough customers that not only will guests number fall but the invaluable Disney brand image will be tarnished beyond repair. We may already be seeing the early stages of this. And it is entirely possible that, if things aren’t corrected, the WDW product will no longer be available, no matter how much you are willing to pay. It sounds improbable given the massive size and profitability of the Disney Corporation, but take a step back - is WDW behaving like a healthy business right now?

Thundershorts

There's a certain level of what I call financial fatigue that comes with any multi-day vacation. It doesn't really compare to a show or concert because those are a few hours long. You may underestimate your ability to avoid temptation and overspend a bit but it's just a few hours and then you go home. You can recalibrate the budget after that, skip that dinner out or visit to the starbucks drive thru a time or two and feel a bit better.

For WDW (and we just returned yesterday, family of 4) it's a marathon of spending. Even though the wife and I do well for ourselves, I cannot justify spending on whatever the "gimmes" will generate. I packed the Camelbak for water. A jug of spring water cost like 99 cents at Publix. We stopped off at a gas station or McDonalds (right outside AK and HS) once or twice on the way back to the hotel for soda type drinks. We kept the family to a max of 2 snacks shared per day. Thankfully we stayed under that. I don't like saying no, but they aren't gonna finish it so why buy it. The mickey ice creams aren't that special. Dole Whips are ok but not great. The pretzel is my weakness but I was able to share it with the kids and that was fine. Popcorn refill went up to $2 from $1.50. Not what I call a budget buster but across the board it all adds up.

Thankfully for DVC we don't pay parking but all the little increases have started to bother me. 50 cents here, a dollar there. They went from getting us 2-3 times a year to once a year at this point. Maybe even skipping '19 to just wait and see what Star Wars will bring. At least I know if I list my points for rent someone will want them within a day.

wdw_lisa61

It’s extortion. But what choice do you have. When my family went last August I started every day loaded down with bottles of water in my back pack. In 96 degrees it’s a safety issue not staying hydrated. If you want to gouge people on soda so be it, but at least give people a break on water.
We don’t buy bottled water anymore because even at $3.00 a bottle it was ridiculous. You can go to any counter-service location and get a free cup of ice water (as many as you like). We take our Brita filter bottles and get cups of water as needed.

missaox

It’s extortion. But what choice do you have. When my family went last August I started every day loaded down with bottles of water in my back pack. In 96 degrees it’s a safety issue not staying hydrated. If you want to gouge people on soda so be it, but at least give people a break on water.

You just have to ask for cups of water. It’s free. Bring your own water bottle and pour it in.

Bpmorley

Looks like prices are increasing a lot...according to Twitter:

Regular Drinks: $3.29 > $3.99

Large Drinks: $3.79 >$4.49

Bottled Sodas: $4 > $4.50

Mickey pretzel $6 > $7

Ice Cream: $5 > $5.75

Frozen bannas $5.75

Churros: $6.25
Not one thing here I would ever purchase at these prices. Greed greed greed greed. Prices go up at 10 times the rate of inflation and quality goes down. Disney will be a thing of the past to me soon. We always have a car and buy this stuff at winn dixie or publix at 20% disney prices, maybe even cheaper.

Chomama

It’s not about the perceived value of bottled water. It is about the overall feeling of not being a valued customer. Being nickeled and diamond for every little thing makes experience much less positive. I don’t know what this looks like for our family but I do understand the frustration. Giving suggestions on how to get cheaper water really isn’t getting at the core issue that is bothering so many people here and casual visitors. We actually have a friend who is been twice in the last seven years Who calls it “Disney whole paycheck “and he is plenty able to afford the trip but isn’t willing to do it. Obviously that is anecdotal but people need to feel like they experience is unique to shell out what Disney is asking. The combination of increased prices and decreased service is not pleasant.

DisneyCane

It’s not about the perceived value of bottled water. It is about the overall feeling of not being a valued customer. Being nickeled and diamond for every little thing makes experience much less positive. I don’t know what this looks like for our family but I do understand the frustration. Giving suggestions on how to get cheaper water really isn’t getting at the core issue that is bothering so many people here and casual visitors. We actually have a friend who is been twice in the last seven years Who calls it “Disney whole paycheck “and he is plenty able to afford the trip but isn’t willing to do it. Obviously that is anecdotal but people need to feel like they experience is unique to shell out what Disney is asking. The combination of increased prices and decreased service is not pleasant.

It's up to Disney to decide what customers they are targeting and if they can get enough of them with their current/future pricing. There will 100% be people that decide it isn't worth it anymore.

For many years my wife and I attended MVMCP every year. Somewhere around 10 years ago, we decided that the value wasn't there anymore and stopped going due to price increases, increased crowds (interesting based on price increases) and reduced perks.

We still get the Gold AP but I track how many days we use it to determine our cost per day. Every year before renewal we discuss the value. The value has been decreasing but is still at a level where we feel we get enough enjoyment out of our money to renew. There will come a price point, especially combined with FP+ making it impossible to get FP for the most desired attractions, when it isn't worth the money and we'll stop renewing.

Bottom line is everybody complaining about these price increases has the ability to vote with your wallet. If too many people stop buying food or beverages and Disney needs more customers, they will either run promotions or lower prices.

dreamfinder

Bottom line is everybody complaining about these price increases has the ability to vote with your wallet. If too many people stop buying food or beverages and Disney needs more customers, they will either run promotions or lower prices.

Except that by all accounts, Disney DOES need more customers. Attendance is reported to be down, and their response is to jack up in park prices for food. Yes, they may be sending out newly targeted room discounts, but they are cutting services and increasing prices elsewhere.

Rosanne

Looks like prices are increasing a lot...according to Twitter:

Regular Drinks: $3.29 > $3.99

Large Drinks: $3.79 >$4.49

Bottled Sodas: $4 > $4.50

Mickey pretzel $6 > $7

Ice Cream: $5 > $5.75

Frozen bannas $5.75

Churros: $6.25
Its better to eat before you go into the park and just bring some snacks. Then wait until you leave to eat again outside the park. All the food in park is very expensive and not that great.

Rosanne

Except that by all accounts, Disney DOES need more customers. Attendance is reported to be down, and their response is to jack up in park prices for food. Yes, they may be sending out newly targeted room discounts, but they are cutting services and increasing prices elsewhere.
Too bad they dont have McDonalds & Wendys in the parks. But, I'm sure the line would be 2 miles long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom