FoTLK To Close in January?

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I haven't seen anything about this but...*Sigh* Screamscape is reporting this..
The latest buzz from the Rhinos is that the Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down complete long before this happens.

And I was really hoping to see Festival of the Lion king in January as it is a really good show...

Can we go yet?

Oh no...that's a real bummer. I remember reading somewhere that the theater was actually huge for the costumes and backstage, what space could they use to build another?

wiigirl

Please. We've got 3-4 YEARS before we see anything open for AVATAR.

That kinda stinks :(
75.gif

PRNCSAurora

If it closes permanently, I will be very upset. It is one of my family's favorite shows. In fact it is the only one my husband will sit through without complaining. If we are getting as new and improved show, yay!

71jason

Yes but we likely will be getting a new and improved FotLK much sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the area where multiple CMs have said it is going is still undeveloped. Given how long it's taking them to build a simple kiddie coaster in MK, a new and improved theater might take the better part of a decade.

Plenty of matada this morning...

jt04

Well, the area where multiple CMs have said it is going is still undeveloped. Given how long it's taking them to build a simple kiddie coaster in MK, a new and improved theater might take the better part of a decade.

Plenty of matada this morning...

Actually I think it could be done rather quickly as these things go. We are just talking a well themed shell with seats. And I would guess they would want to target 2013 or 2014 for marketing purposes. Just a wild guess though.

ChrisM

Please. We've got 3-4 YEARS before we see anything open for AVATAR.

And this is a necessary first step based on everything we've heard so far.

Keep your powder dry for when jt posts his usual drivel. This particular one was harmless.

jt04

And this is a necessary first step based on everything we've heard so far.

Keep your powder dry for when jt posts his usual drivel. This particular one was harmless.

You are increasingly isolated. Might want to keep that in mind before you start throwing rocks.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Before everyone gets alarmed that the show is disappearing for good, it's not.

I have it on good authority the show is moving into Harambe, where a new theater will be built. They're relocating the check-in and outfitters post for the Wild Africa Trek to accommodate the new theater that's getting built.

ExtinctJenn

GAH. I never had the chance to see it. :(
Ditto... in fact this was another item on the list for the next trip (we have a goal of doing things we haven't before). If the rumor is true, I'll be quite sad because we aren't going to make it again until at least March.

ChrisM

You are increasingly isolated. Might want to keep that in mind before you start throwing rocks.

Isolated? From whom? I'm an infrequent poster here and carry no allegiances. I've always been alone on a mountain (albeit one with a fully functional yeti).

At any rate, I was actually defending your post. Calm yourself.

BryceM

Ditto... in fact this was another item on the list for the next trip (we have a goal of doing things we haven't before). If the rumor is true, I'll be quite sad because we aren't going to make it again until at least March.
Same. I don't know when my next trip is but I know it isn't soon. And last time I went to AK, I just rode Expedition Everest and DINOSAUR over and over again with the occasional Kali River Rapids and Safari ride.

I wish I hadn't done that now. :(

sweetpee_1993

Before everyone gets alarmed that the show is disappearing for good, it's not.

I have it on good authority the show is moving into Harambe, where a new theater will be built. They're relocating the check-in and outfitters post for the Wild Africa Trek to accommodate the new theater that's getting built.

I think Harambe is a great place for the show.

I think I'll feel better when the permit watchers report building permits being filed and ground being broken. I'll feel much better if both of those things happen before the show goes dark. Until then, naturally I'm sorta wondering if this is yet another budget cutting decision. It's really hard to have faith sometimes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I haven't seen anything about this but...*Sigh* Screamscape is reporting this..

And I was really hoping to see Festival of the Lion king in January as it is a really good show...

I would think they would want to wait until the new location is almost ready before closing the existing one. Of cource this is a Screamscape rumor, and as much as I like that site, I take everything on there with a very large shaker of salt.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think Harambe is a great place for the show.

I think I'll feel better when the permit watchers report building permits being filed and ground being broken. I'll feel much better if both of those things happen before the show goes dark. Until then, naturally I'm sorta wondering if this is yet another budget cutting decision. It's really hard to have faith sometimes.

Haven't seen any permits yet for a new location, but there was a permit for roofing on the existing theatre in June and one for "construction" from a steel contractor in early July.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom