Fort Wilderness Inquiry

starchasers

We stay at the campground every 4th of July. In the past, we had an RV that we stayed in comfortably. This past fall we sold our RV because I am now a full time student. We would still like to stay at the campground 1-because it's like our home away from home, and 2- it's reasonably priced for our lenght of stay. Has anyone ever tent camped in July at the Ft. Wilderness? We are from Florida and we know it's going to be hot, but we are wondering if we are just too nostalgic for our own good, and maybe we should just suck it up and shorten our stay in order to stay at a hotel. (on site of course!)

Also, while I was surfing the reservation site checking prices, I read that the pools at the campground were elaborately themed and had slides. We were there last Julyh and they were the same pools that have been there for years! Does anyone know if they have remodeled them recently?
:wave:

Horizons1

If you camp in a tent in July, be sure to bring a fan and be sure when you bring it, you dont forget it. Long story :lol:

It will be hot but shouldn't be unbearable, its just hot Florida summer weather.

As for the pools, they haven't be remodeled. Someone must have made a mistake on that one...

Upvote 0

MacDuffieMuppet

Nope, havent changed the pools. I was there in december and it was the same pool they have had for the past 17 years i have stayed there. And yes as stated above it will be very very hot. Have Fun! The campground is also my home away from home. i know everypart of it like it was my home.

Upvote 0

smk

I love FW BUT I have never "camped" there. My children have camped there and we called "group camping", for 3 people, and rented a tent for the week. They set it up and take it down, it sleeps 4. You can also rent cots. I think we paid 30 a night for the tent and 5 dollars for each ______ plus the tent site rental. So, if you add it all up it was about 70 a night. Not exactly cheap but a little better than a value resort with no discounts. July would be a different story...I know what I would do. I would stay in a hotel room with AC!

Upvote 0

smk

For some reason the word c.o.t. will not come thru on my post above. It is a sleeping mat on sticks for gosh sakes!

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

I know you like the camp site and so Do I even though I never stayed there. But wouldnt it be a little better if you paid a few extra dollers and stayed in a value resort. I mean your on vacation why would you want to sleep in a tent? and I have been to Disney in July and I swear it's the hottest month ever to be down there. I would strongly thing about this one. If there is a budget problem and you have to stay there then I would do it. But if you can spend more moeny I would most def. stay at a value resort.

Upvote 0

Camille59

Have you considered renting a rv for that time?? It can get really hot and sticky in July. If that is ok with you than by all means considering going tent cabin. There are two loops that can handle you guys. One is group camping which is something for girl/boy scouts and big groups. The one next to it, the 2000 loop is for people that just want to have water and electricity at their site. It has a comfort station for showers and other necessities.

Nope, FW's pool doesn't have slides. Never has and probably never will. I think the information you got might have been for the now defunk River Country, the original water park. You aren't supposed to pool hop from resort to resort, but that doesn't seem to stop a few guests who decide they want to use the pool and whirlpool at Wilderness Lodge.:animwink:

Upvote 0

typhoonguy

If you're making reservations for FW in 2007, do so ASAP. I can tell you that December 07 and January 08 are already full, and the rest of the year isn't far behind. Remember, room only reservations you can cancel up until the fifth day before arrival. Better safe than sorry you didn't book intime.

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
tent being carried away in a flood

I just came back from a FW stay. True story - 21 years ago, when I was a mere lad of 16 I was tent camping with my friend, his two brothers, their friends and the father of the three sons (for a total of 7 of us). The tent which was an 8 man tent was on a slight slope. We went to EPCOT for the day and it rained and it rained.......the deluge. We came back and the tent was blown over and washed down the hillside and was actually carried some distance (say 10 feet or so by the resulting rivulet of water. Of course, when we tell the story the tent was carried all the way to BAY Lake and we had to swim to the Contemporary and tip a bell hop in order to retrieve it). The point to this story - it rains a lot (at least every afternoon) and hard in central Florida in the summer. Keep this in mind. I know that tent technology has improved a lot the last twenty years. I'm blown away by what I see in the stores, but its still something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

DisJosh

I've considered camping in a tent...and then I slapped myself. lol When I'm in WDW I know I get very hot and very tired. The only thing I want after a long day in the parks is a shower (in my own room lol) and a soft bed. As much as I love FW (and would love to stay in an RV or cabin) I can get neither of those things if I stay in a tent. If it were only a weekend trip or something...I might say diferent but otherwise I say anyone who does it is nuts. :p

The camp site price is appealing though. More spending money! :D

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Something I've often wondered about is security at the campground.

What do the campers do about their STUFF while they are at the parks?

Do they pack everything up that could even be considered valuable in their car an take it with them?

What about coolers,stoves, stuff like that, surely they can't take everything?

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I camped ALOT but always out in the wilderness where you don't have to worry about such things, only biggger/scarier things. :eek:

Upvote 0

typhoonguy

Can anyone provide any details on what the cabin are like? We are considering a trip in May. Are they A/C'd? Bathrooms? How are the beds arranged? Thanks!
The cabins are like a rustic mini-suite. The bedroom area comes with a full bed and twin bunkbed, then there's a bathroom immediately before the entry way of the bedroom, a full kitchen with refrigerator, stove, oven, dishwasher, ect, and a full living room with a couch, some chairs and a murphy bed. They also come with decks, driveways and grills. They're not exactly 'roughing it'

Upvote 0

smk

Can anyone provide any details on what the cabin are like? We are considering a trip in May. Are they A/C'd? Bathrooms? How are the beds arranged? Thanks!
The cabins are hotel rooms disguised as rustic cabins. I love FW. We stay in the cabins all the time, we don't camp. The porch of the cabins has a picnic table and grill but there is a full kitchen and dishwasher, maid service, AC/heat, two tv's, vcr/dvd , camping/grocery stores, a drive-in movie place with Disney movies everynight and a campfire area to roast your own marshmellows. Everyone rents golf carts (40/day) reserve on early for your entire stay (call the "bike barn", the front desk can direct your call) caution, don't wait until you get there to decide you want one to rent, they will be gone. So much fun to stay there, quiet, safe, family friendly. At Christmas everone decorates their site or cabin with lights and there is a "contest" for the best decorated etc...it was more decorated there last year than my own neighborhood at home was! We have slept 6 with no problems, a bedroom with bunk beds and a full size bed and a murphy bed in the living room and a couch for someone to stretch out on if needed. There is a petting zoo for little ones and the draft horses that pull the wagon on mainstreet MK a stabled there as well. It is fascinating to go thru the barns were they are housed. Most people cook their own meals while there but there is a full service buffet and a take out "bar" and pizza place. Try it...you'll like it!

Upvote 0

smk

Do they pack everything up that could even be considered valuable in their car an take it with them?

I camped ALOT but always out in the wilderness where you don't have to worry about such things, only biggger/scarier things. :eek:
Everyone leaves their sites up and their stuff out. Campers code of honor is the rule, I won't steal yours and you don't steal mine! There are security gaurds (in trucks) frequently thru the area. I have seen them as often as every 20 minutes or so, not that it is necessary tho, it is a very peaceful area with people milling about all day, walking, riding bikes, driving golf carts around. If you camp a lot you would love FW.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Love the cabins. The atmosphere and friendliness of the site is for me the best thing about it.

Worst thing is mentalists on the golf carts, reeking havoc where ever they go. Listen folks if your kid cant sit and reach the pedals don't let them drive!

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Most campers can be locked. Actually we were just at FW from 1/27 - 2/4 and the camper in the site next to us had their storage bin open the whole week. You could see all their kids toys, dirty laundry, little propane grill, etc. I was a little concerned because it rained several times and I wondered why these people didn't seem to care about the weather. No one bothered anything. Also, I've had my wallet in bag whilst I've showered at the comfort station many times and nothing's ever happened to it. Some people decorate their campsites with pretty expensive Disney themed items and I've never seen anyone touch anything. I've always felt very safe at FW. They have a gate and check-in dude just like the other resorts. We actually stayed for one night at POP before my in-laws arrived with their camper and I feel a little more concerned with security at the value resort just because of the amount of traffic through the resort in general.

Upvote 0

smk

Love the cabins. The atmosphere and friendliness of the site is for me the best thing about it.

Worst thing is mentalists on the golf carts, reeking havoc where ever they go. Listen folks if your kid cant sit and reach the pedals don't let them drive!
There are those who let their children drive the carts but when you sign it (the cart) out you sign an agreement that only licensed drivers are to drive the cart. If you are stopped by securtiy and you don't have a licensed driver at the wheel the cart is taken and they won't rent to you again. I know that all those who rent don't follow the rules but we always wanted our kids to do the right thing so we have to do the right thing. I am an idealist, what can I say?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom