Fort Wilderness Inquiry

starchasers

We stay at the campground every 4th of July. In the past, we had an RV that we stayed in comfortably. This past fall we sold our RV because I am now a full time student. We would still like to stay at the campground 1-because it's like our home away from home, and 2- it's reasonably priced for our lenght of stay. Has anyone ever tent camped in July at the Ft. Wilderness? We are from Florida and we know it's going to be hot, but we are wondering if we are just too nostalgic for our own good, and maybe we should just suck it up and shorten our stay in order to stay at a hotel. (on site of course!)

Also, while I was surfing the reservation site checking prices, I read that the pools at the campground were elaborately themed and had slides. We were there last Julyh and they were the same pools that have been there for years! Does anyone know if they have remodeled them recently?
:wave:

DisJosh

These responses about the cabins and cart rental have convinced us to give it a shot. Thanks very much for the info.

The carts make it all worth it! lol The atmosphere too of course!

I just wish they'd take the time to fix some of the speakers around property...the music really adds to the experience.

Upvote 0

Jennifer823

FW cabins

Can anyone provide any details on what the cabin are like? We are considering a trip in May. Are they A/C'd? Bathrooms? How are the beds arranged? Thanks!

The cabins are great! Our family of six (two adults, one teenager, 10 and 9 yr old boys and an infant in a crib) stayed there in July '06 and loved it. The full kitchen is great for saving some money, and we were able to barbecue outside. FW is quiet and peaceful and close to the MK. We saw deer and rabbits in the woods. We liked it so much we're going back in June this year.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Most campers can be locked. Actually we were just at FW from 1/27 - 2/4 and the camper in the site next to us had their storage bin open the whole week. You could see all their kids toys, dirty laundry, little propane grill, etc. I was a little concerned because it rained several times and I wondered why these people didn't seem to care about the weather. No one bothered anything. Also, I've had my wallet in bag whilst I've showered at the comfort station many times and nothing's ever happened to it. Some people decorate their campsites with pretty expensive Disney themed items and I've never seen anyone touch anything. I've always felt very safe at FW. They have a gate and check-in dude just like the other resorts. We actually stayed for one night at POP before my in-laws arrived with their camper and I feel a little more concerned with security at the value resort just because of the amount of traffic through the resort in general.
My brother and his family camped there once about 5 years ago. They locked their camper for the day and went to the parks. While they were gone, the camper was broken into and their video camera was stolen along with a few personal items. They've never gone back since then...

Upvote 0

DisneyDragon

I've said it before, and yep, gonna say it again. I've stayed in just about every WDW resort, and my extended family keeps returning to the FW cabins.

It all started because my dad loathes having people above him in hotels, and after decades of business travel, I don't blame him (I travel a lot too). FW rocks for kids - lots more to do other than just hitting the pool.

What we really like about it, though, is that it's rather tranquil after a day at the parks. I don't mind crowds - I live in Toronto, and I've been to some of the busiest places on the planet (lived in Hong Kong for 3 months) - but some peace and quiet to recharge after a day at the parks is fantastic.

I'm also an old hand when it comes to camping and trekking. I've even spent 5 nights camping in a desert (that was pretty tough, I tell you). I am not sure that tenting it in the height of the summer may be as comfortable as you'd like - but there is relief (Crockett's, the stores, the pool).

If you can tolerate the humidity when you sleep, and it fits your budget, all the power to you!

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
My brother and his family camped there once about 5 years ago. They locked their camper for the day and went to the parks. While they were gone, the camper was broken into and their video camera was stolen along with a few personal items. They've never gone back since then...

Wow. I hope they got their stuff back and the perpetrators were caught. Too bad. I can still claim that I've never seen anyone have their stuff messed with, but now I can't say that I've never heard of it. I still feel like they were extremely unlucky. They should give it another try. FW is a very fun place to stay, even without River Country.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Wow. I hope they got their stuff back and the perpetrators were caught. Too bad. I can still claim that I've never seen anyone have their stuff messed with, but now I can't say that I've never heard of it. I still feel like they were extremely unlucky. They should give it another try. FW is a very fun place to stay, even without River Country.
No, they never got anything back. The thief left the case, but took the camera from inside, so they didn't even notice that for a while. They did report it, and I imagine thier insurance covered the financial loss, but the videos of the family trip are gone forever.

Upvote 0

Merry Rose

Hate to Camp! BUT....

I absolutely hate to camp - never have liked it. I prefer a tub and room service. I LOVE the CABINS!!! We always get a golf cart. Concierge - it isn't, however, you have privacy, cleanliness, convenience, kindness and a disney experience that is beyond expectations. We did have one bag of souveniers missing from our room. Disney replaced that bag of goodies for us, because we had the receipt in our purse. We think it got tossed out with the laundry perhaps. We know we didn't do it, as we didn't have a vehicle to put it in, nor did we go anywhere after we bought the stuff. We actually sat on the bed and went through that bag the night we bought it. It was kind of weird and we didn't want to accuse anyone, but Disney was good about it.
The cabins are really a souped up trailer. But the room you get is much better than a room at disney landings. The cleaning staff washes your dishes and cleans up after you like a great invisible goddess or something. Tip well - they deserve it. I love the prestige of grand floridian or the wilderness lodge - it feels special. This feels special in a ownderful secluded disney way. Take the golf cart to the bar at 9pm - sit on the porch in many of the rockers and prepare to watch the fireworks. Hang on to a beer and eat a pizza. How much fun is that!!!!
We have 3 cabins rent in October for our Grand Gathering. I can't wait.

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

my family and I first tried fort wilderness with really no expectations. we had a pull behind camper and had spent many weekends at other RV spots. Man did we have a surprise waiting for us when we first arrived. FW by far sets the bar for all other RVing areas to live up to. Its peaceful, you get your own area, not wide open like other campgrounds. After they sold the camper we stayed at a couple of different resorts, DL, PO to name a few. But we just didn't get the same experience that we did when we stayed at FW. So we decided to check out one of the cabins, and since we have not stayed anywhere else. You really don't need to rent the golf carts or bikes, as they can get somewhat expensive, there are many bus stops within walking distance that will take you wherever you need to go in the campground. The only thing I miss is having your own water park right there with easy access......BRING BACK RIVER COUNTRY!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom