Fort Wilderness Cabins - Walking to Reception Outpost?

WDWFigment

For our upcoming trip, my fiancee and I will be staying in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. This wasn't really by choice so much as it was by necessity, as by the time we got around to booking, we couldn't find anything else in which we were interested. The Cabins do look nice, but I have a concern about transportation based on some things I have read.

My question: it looks like Loop 2800 is really close to the Reception Outpost. However, this doesn't mean the map pictures everything (such as fences or large foliage that would prevent us from easily walking to the Outpost). If we are able to get Loop 2800, would we be able to walk to the Reception Outpost, and thus save ourselves from having to use the internal transportation system? From what I understand, from the Reception Outpost, we can get to all Parks, except the MK (does the Outpost have a bus that goes to TTC?).

I am hoping we can avoid the unpleasant experience so many have reported with the bus system at Fort Wilderness.

Here is a link to a map of Fort Wilderness for those who may need a refresher: http://allears.net/acc/fortwmap1.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

maggiegrace1

You can walk..you will be walking along the main road from outpost to the rest of the resort and it is a pretty decent walk but yes you can walk...:)

I LOVE Fort Wilderness..:)

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
You can walk..you will be walking along the main road from outpost to the rest of the resort and it is a pretty decent walk but yes you can walk...:)

I LOVE Fort Wilderness..:)

If you use the bus system at Fort Wilderness, would you say the walk to the Outpost (assuming we're on 2800 loop) would generally be shorter or longer than just using the internal bus? If we have one of the few cabins that looks (judging from the map) especially close to the Reception Outpost, can we just walk through the grass (or a path?) to the Outpost, or will we have to follow the road all the way out? Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

The walk should be shorter unless you catch a bus that has your loop as it's last stop before the outpost.

You can always ask the driver if he will be going to the outpost right away or if he has many other stops before he gets there.

If you do get that loop you can walk from your campsite to the entance of the loop and cross over to walk to the outpost.

Remember though your site may be all the way in the back of the loop making your walk farther and it is not exactly as close as it seems on the map..close but not that close..you still have to walk a bit down the road.

As for walking out of the cabins and then through the grass..I am not ceratin..I think you could but not 100%.

Also..at night I would use the bus as it is really dark at the campgrounds..especially walking along the main road.

Upvote 0

stitch & lilo

We have stayed there 3 times and love it, but hate the internal bus situation. we suck it up and either rent a car (first year, overkill) and the next 2 times we rented the golfcarts. they are soooo worth it. there are plugs to charge them at your cabin and at all the stores and when you park it at the boat dock to get the boat to magic kingdom. it also made it easier to get to the pool, laundry, campfire with characters (please do this, it is so cute and very Walt-inspired!), also fun to drive around to see the very detailed and excellently decorated camp sites. :cool: have a great time.

Upvote 0

sissa216

As of last time we stayed at FW (2 years ago, so things may have changed)- DHS was on the Settlement end (and I think DD was too), and they had discontinued bus service to the TTC.
If you've read something more recent, it might have changed again. But I definitely have a picture of an MGM bus at the Settlement depot.

BTW...when you refer to the "reception outpost"- I'm not sure if you're thinking that's where the bus stop is. That's actually the check in; the outpost bus stop is just a bit to the right near the horses (by the bus symbol)

As far as walking time, we always stay at the other end, near the settlement, so I can't help there!

Here's a link to another map from allears; I'm not sure how recent it is (at least pre-"DHS"). It lists bus info, and has the internal routes marked

http://allears.net/acc/fortwmap2.jpg

Upvote 0

a2zdisney

I hope you have an amazing time at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground! While still in school and vacationing with my family, we stayed there at the least every other year. I have such fond memories...the campfire movies and the water pagent to state a few. The charm of this campground is so welcoming, you'll feel at home. Years later, my first non college program job at WDW was at the Meadows Trading Post. Ok, now that I'm done traveling down memory lane- have a blast!! The internal system is minor- better than when they had trams!!

Upvote 0

kmdisney

In all honesty....the Settlement area at the back of the campground is the best area. We have stayed at the campground several times and always in Loop 700 (RV sites). The Settlement Area is back by the boat dock and you can easily take the boat over to Magic Kingdom. It is a great way to travel over to the park. The bus system also picks up back there and will take you to all the parks. The Outpost is up at the very front and the bus stop up there always seems to be a little busier. I believe because most people don't realize that there is the boat and the bus option at the back of the campground. Another option at the Settlement bus stop is to grab a bus over to Wilderness Lodge and use their area to grab buses to the parks. We did that several times and it was a real time saver. You will love the campground it is so laid back and beautiful. Have a great time!!

Upvote 0

DreamAurora

I did the college program awhile back and worked at fort wilderness, it's a great place to be! Transportation is a bit tricky in the cabins unless you have a car or rent a golf cart. The golf carts are expensive for what they are but the internal bus honestly isn't that bad. Walking from the cabins to the outpost bus depot it will probably take 20 minutes, 30 minutes from the furthest cabin.

I would actually recommend the 2100 or 2200 loop. Why? Because it's closer to the center of the campground, the nightly movie, campfire sing along and you could hop right over onto the bus heading north to the settlement without having to wait for the bus that goes through the cabins. It's not as useful heading down to the outpost but that's what the bus that goes through the cabins is really for.

Have a great time, there's a lot to love over at the fort!

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I would strongly recommend renting a golf cart. It makes getting around so much easier. You have to remember that you not only need to get to the outposts to go to the parks but if you want to go to one of the stores or to a pool it is a lot quicker if you have a golf cart.

Upvote 0

GHOST1000

We have stayed many timesin the cabins,(though dont remember which loops) but always have cheap economy rental cars to get to/from the airport. Have found out getting to ak,epcot and mgm alot easier and faster driving yourself (plus you can bring change of clothes for later if you want w/out having to go back to the hotel/cabin). You get free parking staying at any resort in the parks also...my recommendation..good luck

Upvote 0

sissa216

In all honesty....the Settlement area at the back of the campground is the best area. We have stayed at the campground several times and always in Loop 700 (RV sites). The Settlement Area is back by the boat dock and you can easily take the boat over to Magic Kingdom. It is a great way to travel over to the park. The bus system also picks up back there and will take you to all the parks. The Outpost is up at the very front and the bus stop up there always seems to be a little busier. I believe because most people don't realize that there is the boat and the bus option at the back of the campground. Another option at the Settlement bus stop is to grab a bus over to Wilderness Lodge and use their area to grab buses to the parks. We did that several times and it was a real time saver. You will love the campground it is so laid back and beautiful. Have a great time!!

I agree! We also hopped over to WL a few times.
And if you are near Settlement, you can grab any of the internal buses to the Outpost, as opposed to being somewhere in the middle and relying on one line.
There are cabins in 100, aren't there? That's about a 3 minute walk to the bus (if that)

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
The walk should be shorter unless you catch a bus that has your loop as it's last stop before the outpost.

You can always ask the driver if he will be going to the outpost right away or if he has many other stops before he gets there.

If you do get that loop you can walk from your campsite to the entance of the loop and cross over to walk to the outpost.

Remember though your site may be all the way in the back of the loop making your walk farther and it is not exactly as close as it seems on the map..close but not that close..you still have to walk a bit down the road.

As for walking out of the cabins and then through the grass..I am not ceratin..I think you could but not 100%.

Also..at night I would use the bus as it is really dark at the campgrounds..especially walking along the main road.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to figure out the bus system in advance so we can plan better, but it's beginning to sound more and more like this will be a 'game time decision.'

Thanks for the word on how dark it is at night. I plan on taking pictures one night/morning at around 1 a.m., so I guess I will be bringing a flashlight.

We have stayed there 3 times and love it, but hate the internal bus situation. we suck it up and either rent a car (first year, overkill) and the next 2 times we rented the golfcarts. they are soooo worth it. there are plugs to charge them at your cabin and at all the stores and when you park it at the boat dock to get the boat to magic kingdom. it also made it easier to get to the pool, laundry, campfire with characters (please do this, it is so cute and very Walt-inspired!), also fun to drive around to see the very detailed and excellently decorated camp sites. :cool: have a great time.

The reason we're staying at Fort Wilderness in the first place is to save money, so a rental golf cart (especially at $54/day--holy cow!) or a car is way out of our budget. We'll suck it up and wait.

We are in the cabins, and as I understand it, the cabin loops are at the front. Otherwise, I would rather have our location be near the back of the park by the boat dock.

I did the college program awhile back and worked at fort wilderness, it's a great place to be! Transportation is a bit tricky in the cabins unless you have a car or rent a golf cart. The golf carts are expensive for what they are but the internal bus honestly isn't that bad. Walking from the cabins to the outpost bus depot it will probably take 20 minutes, 30 minutes from the furthest cabin.

I would actually recommend the 2100 or 2200 loop. Why? Because it's closer to the center of the campground, the nightly movie, campfire sing along and you could hop right over onto the bus heading north to the settlement without having to wait for the bus that goes through the cabins. It's not as useful heading down to the outpost but that's what the bus that goes through the cabins is really for.

Have a great time, there's a lot to love over at the fort!

Interesting. I'm not sure that we'll really have time to take in the other amenities of the Fort (it's a quick weekend trip), but thanks for the advice for future reference.

I just confirmed our reservation and put in a request to be near transportation. I'm not sure exactly where that'll put us, but hopefully somewhere good!

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I agree! We also hopped over to WL a few times.
And if you are near Settlement, you can grab any of the internal buses to the Outpost, as opposed to being somewhere in the middle and relying on one line.
There are cabins in 100, aren't there? That's about a 3 minute walk to the bus (if that)

It's tough to tell. If there are, I'll definitely request that loop on check-in. It looks like there may be cabins in 300 (based on the map) so it would stand to reason that they'd also be in 100 and 200. Time to do a little more research!

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
"2100 loop - 44 cabins; 2200 loop - 44 cabins; 2300 loop - 30 cabins; 2400 loop - 49 cabins; 2500 loop - 33 cabins; 2600 loop - 65 cabins; 2700 loop - 72 cabins; 2800 loop - 70 cabins. Additionally, there are two cabins located on campsites 118 and 120 in the 100 loop that are used exclusively by Disney management and other corporate types. Finally, there is an unfurnished single cabin near the 2300 loop that is used by Housekeeping." ~All Ears

I suppose I could ask, but we really don't look like the corporate types... ;)

Upvote 0

sissa216

"2100 loop - 44 cabins; 2200 loop - 44 cabins; 2300 loop - 30 cabins; 2400 loop - 49 cabins; 2500 loop - 33 cabins; 2600 loop - 65 cabins; 2700 loop - 72 cabins; 2800 loop - 70 cabins. Additionally, there are two cabins located on campsites 118 and 120 in the 100 loop that are used exclusively by Disney management and other corporate types. Finally, there is an unfurnished single cabin near the 2300 loop that is used by Housekeeping." ~All Ears

I suppose I could ask, but we really don't look like the corporate types... ;)

Haha ok it was worth a try. I thought I remembered seeing more than two, but I guess I was wrong. (Their location IS really nice though :p)

Upvote 0

sissa216

One last thing for reference- most recently we stayed at the top of the 400 loop (by the entrance). It was 2-3 minutes to walk to Settlement bus depot.

A few years ago we stayed 800- also towards the entrance. That was maybe 5-7 minutes.

Early one morning last trip I walked from 400 to the "Meadow" trading post (number 9 on the map). That took me about 10 minutes, maybe a little more (was walking casually).

Will just give you a little more idea on distance and times.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I would only add that most of what Ive read about the complications of bus use is either overstated or by folk who have lost touch with reality.

Never been an issue for us, and yes we have walked to both ends of the resort from our cabin in August and its no worse than walking from Splash to Space. :shrug:

We do drive to AK but we do that regardless of where we are staying.

If I was really picky Id say it can be a pain if you want groceries from the resort shops, but Id rather save the money andget greater choice at off site supermarkets and drive.

Upvote 0

kstella

That's too bad about those cabins in the 100 loop because that's is absolutely the best loop at FW. I love how close it is to the boat dock, you can hear Wishes and the music form the Electric Water Pageant. It also mankes transportation much easier. I've stayed at FW several times and never felt there was a particular problem with the internal bus system. Remember if you are in a loop in the middle you might have access to two bus lines instead of just one, check where the bus stop is at the front and the back of your loop.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I would only add that most of what Ive read about the complications of bus use is either overstated or by folk who have lost touch with reality.

Never been an issue for us, and yes we have walked to both ends of the resort from our cabin in August and its no worse than walking from Splash to Space. :shrug:

We do drive to AK but we do that regardless of where we are staying.

If I was really picky Id say it can be a pain if you want groceries from the resort shops, but Id rather save the money andget greater choice at off site supermarkets and drive.

This is pretty helpful. Part of me wondered if it was just people complaining. We've stayed at Saratoga, which also has an internal bus system (but that system then goes directly to the Parks) and I've never had any issues with it.

Also thanks regarding the walking. We have no issue walking places, but I was curious as to what kind of scale we were dealing with. It's difficult to get an idea of that from the map. For all I knew, it could have been 3 miles from front of the resort to the back. That might be a little excessive for walking regularly, but .5-1 mile I can deal with.

It should be a fun resort to explore, at the very least.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom