News Former Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde to be honored as a Disney Legend at D23 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Different wed/wdi people over time brought different highlights that made the “soup” what it is

X and Claude coats were off the wall tinkerers

Bob gurr could build a machine for anything

Tony Baxter was pragmatic to the point he could make anything fit

Marty sklar was a master of handling the administrative side of design and construction (coercing the vultures)

Rhode is a detail guy…which they need more of but also much more efficiency in

Collectively a basket of delightful nuts 🤪🥜

Andrew25

The problem isn't WDI, but what WDI is allowed to work in.

Nowadays WDI is being told where and what IP to put into the parks.

Universal had the same issue and learned their lesson the hard way with Fast & Furious.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Source?

Also, would the “less capable” design still have the key animatronic of the entire attraction’s backstory still functioning?
Yeah…I think it’d accepted that design flaws combined with an outsourced AA (they went bankrupt) is the culprit on this

Sad too…because it was great with the yeti and now Is just a non-descript mid level coaster

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem isn't WDI, but what WDI is allowed to work in.

Nowadays WDI is being told where and what IP to put into the parks.

Universal had the same issue and learned their lesson the hard way with Fast & Furious.
That is a huge problem…

But I don’t blame IP alone.
I think it’s more the “ride parameters”…

For instance: if you give me Star Wars the FIRST thing I do is something with speed/gravity. Which is what the imagination wants.

I won’t give you another fancy sim and a dark ride with a lot of scenery sfx…even if they did work for a year or so. What you get is a quickly aging “Planet Dullest”

PREMiERdrum

Almost certainly unrelated, but...

Expedition Everest notes from this past Thursday, March 28th.

We were on the first EE train of the day thanks to a re-opening private attraction and breakfast experience I booked for my group.

We stopped fully at the last block brake before the yeti, releasing and rolling slowly into the scene. Reaching the cave there was no strobe light firing at all, and fairly bright blue show lighting. You could see his details clear as day as he was very well lit. Obviously he wasn't moving.

On three subsequent rides that day, the strobe light *was* firing, but the bright blue show lighting remained on in full. While it made his lack of motion more obvious, it was great to see his scale and details again.

Not sure what it means - if anything - but I figured it was worth noting here.

Last edited:

flyerjab

In Bob’s IP-laden fever dream scenario for Everest, he would agree to pay to fix the AS. However, the Yeti would be removed and replaced with this guy. And instead of swiping at you he offers you a snow cone.

IMG_3856.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

Excellent so we will have another expensive AA that they will hype that eventually will be in B mode forever…
I’d take multiple basic AA’s in Everest and Navi - but I appreciate the ambition.
and also to deny he loves to spend and over spend…
Aren’t most WDI projects? I remember Kevin bragging at presentation that Mickeys runaway was on time and under budget as though that never happens.
Well the Epcot coaster that is frankly not as impressive cost 4 times what Everest cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom