News Former Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde to be honored as a Disney Legend at D23 2024

Splash4eva

I don’t know…. What are your issues with Joe? I asked a question since you insulted him.
I insulted him by saying dont say anything bad and by saying he was a great spender of other peoples money?!? Wow. Someone is a little sensitive. Im still trying to figure out how you took that as me referring to his politics.

TrainsOfDisney

I insulted him by saying dont say anything bad and by saying he was a great spender of other peoples money?!? Wow. Someone is a little sensitive. Im still trying to figure out how you took that as me referring to his politics.
Are you not the one who’s always insulting Joe? I may have you mixed up - sorry! It’s a stressful time on these boards!

But I would like some clarification on your comment - do you think Joe was a bad imagineer? Every imagineer, film director, etc. is “spending other people’s money” at Disney and they pretty much all go over budget frequently.

Splash4eva

Are you not the one who’s always insulting Joe? I may have you mixed up - sorry! It’s a stressful time on these boards!

But I would like some clarification on your comment - do you think Joe was a bad imagineer? Every imagineer, film director, etc. is “spending other people’s money” at Disney and they pretty much all go over budget frequently.

Im gonna end this here but if boards are stressful to you or anyone please remember these are just that forums and boards and should be fun not stress. After all we are talking about theme parks not life threatening illnesses….

DisneyHead123

I think - and I mean this in a very positive sense - that Rohdes is both a great designer and a brilliant salesman. That’s a rare combination, and the latter actually enhances the former.

Imagine if you buy a ring that you think is beautiful, and the designer says “Oh, yeah, I designed it that way because I thought it was like, kinda pretty.” Then imagine buying the same ring, but the designer has a passionate, philosophical, interesting web of reasons for the design. The intent, story, and rationale behind it actually enhances the value of the design (or it would to many people.)

I will say that outside of AK, sometimes my preference in design is more over-the-top, a bit more feminine, sometimes even more “cutesy”. (I’ve been very into the Tokyo parks lately.) But I appreciate that Rohdes brings both a design and a narrative / philosophy to the parks - there’s a different level of buy-in at that level, to my mind. It feels like experiencing something more substantial on a psychological level when the intent was to create something transformative. Maybe that’s just me - before I was visiting Disney, I was spending my vacation budget on meditation retreats, so the idea of transformation is probably particularly appealing to me. But I do think a fair number of people in my age cohort have similar feelings and interests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom