Forbidden Mtn ride & queue

Bryy2001

Original Poster
No, I don't have any info on the impending ride or queue, sorry:D but I do have something for us to ponder. Arguably IOA's Dueling Dragons offers probably the most intricately themed queue anywhere and a blast of a ride to boot. Will Disney's Forbidden Mountain (Everest) top it? Will Disney spare no expense and design a ride and queue that will boost attendance at Animal Kingdom and give Dueling Dragons a run for it's money in terms of queue and ride? What are your thoughts?

JeepGuy77

I'm hoping for a better ride. Deuling dragons is a great attraaction, but the big steel rollercoaster looks out of place in the rest of the themeing. IO think they key is to hid or disguise the framing and track of the coaster in this case. Also there isnt any "storyline" involved in just a steel rollercoaster. I love deuling drageons but still prefer disney attractions that have a storyline and not just a themed queue and a rollercoaster at the end.

I'v e also heard that the whole Lost Continent area of IOA was similar to Disney's design for Beastly Kingdom,but IA built it first when some Disney Imagineers were "let go" and transferred to Universal. Ineresting huh?

goofyfan13

I think if the rumors come true the ride and queue will be much better than Dueling Dragons. Some of Disney's queue's are already (in my mind at least) better than the dueling dragons queue. The Indiana Jones rides in DL and TDS have got some awesome queue themes and the rides look really well done. Nothing can top my personal favorite ride, The Tower of Terror.:sohappy: :) :D Anyway I like DD but it's a coaster I would expect to see at cedarpoint :D rather than in Florida. Coasters need theme down there to be one of my favorites.

Epcot is my fav

the que for Dueling Dragons is the most annoying que only because you never has to stand in line in it...its takes so long to go through it!!!! i hope it is nothing like this......

Justin St

You people can never give credit to where credit is do. The dueling dragons are incredibly themed, and they do have a storyline maybe you should watch the stained glass video at the beginning. Universal attractions are as well themed if not more themed as Disney attraction, and especially better thenmk attractions. So please don't kid yourself and learn to give other companys credit besides the all powerful disney.

castlecake2.0

Overall, I think Disney is better themed. Take MK for example, everything from the lamp posts to the garbage cans are themed! FL even has special lights that flicker like lanterns, TL has metal palm trees, there are even areas in the HM that guests almost never see that are themed to fit in with the rest of the mansion. Im not saying that US has no theming at all, but I think Disney will always be one step ahead of the rest.

-Tyler:king:

Lee

Adventurer
The queue for Forbidden Mtn./Everest is the only part of the attraction that I haven't gotten much info on. I would expect it to be well themed, on par with say, Kali Rapids, but not to the extent of Dueling Dragons, which relies on the queue to tell the story.

The AK coaster will have show elements along the ride, so the queue doesn't have to carry the storytelling burden. By the way, the AK coaster will not be anywhere near as intense as Dueling Dragons.

agdbeanie

Originally posted by Justin St
Universal attractions are as well themed if not more themed as Disney attraction, and especially better thenmk attractions. So please don't kid yourself and learn to give other companys credit besides the all powerful disney.

Um, NOT.

WDWKing

Originally posted by Lee
By the way, the AK coaster will not be anywhere near as intense as Dueling Dragons.

If this is true, it's a good thing. I will probably never ride Dueling Dragons, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

wdwfan22

You people can never give credit to where credit is do. The dueling dragons are incredibly themed, and they do have a storyline maybe you should watch the stained glass video at the beginning. Universal attractions are as well themed if not more themed as Disney attraction, and especially better thenmk attractions. So please don't kid yourself and learn to give other companys credit besides the all powerful disney.

If you honestly believe that then you need to plan a re-visit to the Disney parks. Universal has nothing on Disney.

Main Street USA

You're right, Universal deserves credit, but to say their attractions are better themed than Disney's simply isn't true. Dueling Dragons has a great queue, but it doesn't top Tower of Terror in detail. In fact, I seriously doubt even Disney will ever top TOT's theming.

The problem with DD, as stated above, is that the theming virtually disappears when you get on the ride. After the queue, you've got a basic, run of the mill, hanging coaster which would be unacceptble in Disney. Hulk is the same way, only it's queue is as pathetic looking as the ride looks.

Don't gert me wrong, experiencing the rides themselves is great at IOA, and they beat Disney in quantity of thrills hands down, but if you want story, theme, and the whole package, Disney is still tops.

ThePhantom

Did someone forget that IOA was designed and constructed by mostly former Imagineers? Heck, a friend in Imagineering even went as far as saying that IOA was being developed behind Disney doors, and that Universal basicly snatched the plan before Disney could give it any thought.

Main Street USA

Originally posted by ThePhantom
Did someone forget that IOA was designed and constructed by mostly former Imagineers? Heck, a friend in Imagineering even went as far as saying that IOA was being developed behind Disney doors, and that Universal basicly snatched the plan before Disney could give it any thought.

Maybe they're FORMER Imagineers because they had a lack of imagination in themeing.:D

Relax, everyone, it was a joke.:)

Glasgow

Dueling Dragons is pretty good, but I liked the theming of Poseidon Adventure much better. Keys for a good queue to me are : dark, musty, cool, detailed, and takes your attention off of the wait. Examples : POTC, HM, ToT, and Poseidon Adventure at IOA. All fit those requirements!

Sorcerer Mickey

Dueling Dragons is defiantly an excellent coaster, but it's flaw comes in ride length-it's a really short ride. Hopefully Forbidden Mountain has a lengthy ride(maybe a minute and a half), and a shorter line.

By the way, DD is not as intense as some make it out to be.

Justin St

i'm not saying universal is better themed then disney. I'm saying that universal has as much quality in their attraction as the disney attractions do. I love both companys, Disney is better then universal because it has an overall magical feel, and universal is better then disney because they create attractions that are so impressive that almost anybody would gasp on how incredible their experience just was, except of course you disney fans that never give anyother company credit. I must say that universal attractions all have incredible storylines and if you listen to them you might find out that they are just as good as disney attractions. Alot of the Magic Kingdoms rides don't have story lines( Space Mountain, big Thurder Mountain, the teacups, ect.). I have also visited MGM and MK during the holiday season ( which was peak time) and was not that impressed with MK ( the only fun part of the day was Spectromagic) but had loads of fun in MGM. I also must say that whoever things mgm is better themed then universal is crazy, i mean you can she the wood behind the backlot sets on the street.

agdbeanie

i'm not saying universal is better themed then disney. I'm saying that universal has as much quality in their attraction as the disney attractions do. I love both companys, Disney is better then universal because it has an overall magical feel, and universal is better then disney because they create attractions that are so impressive that almost anybody would gasp on how incredible their experience just was, except of course you disney fans that never give anyother company credit. I must say that universal attractions all have incredible storylines and if you listen to them you might find out that they are just as good as disney attractions. Alot of the Magic Kingdoms rides don't have story lines( Space Mountain, big Thurder Mountain, the teacups, ect.). I have also visited MGM and MK during the holiday season ( which was peak time) and was not that impressed with MK ( the only fun part of the day was Spectromagic) but had loads of fun in MGM. I also must say that whoever things mgm is better themed then universal is crazy, i mean you can she the wood behind the backlot sets on the street.

I guess you're entitled to your own opinion, but if you're so enamered with Universal, why don't you find one of their discussion boards to post on. And, I must be "crazy" b/c I think MGM is better themed.:p

WDWKing

I don't see why you guys are attacking Justin. Hey, I like WDW as much as the rest of you (okay, maybe not as much), but this is a discussion forum, and he is discussing his opinion. You honestly can't tell me that Universal's theming is unimpressive (for the most part). Sure, Disney is great at what they do (again, for the most part) and their parks are more 'magical' then Universal's. So lets just call it a tie; and that's the end of that chapter. :D

Main Street USA

Justin, it's great that you're giving your opinion, BUT don't walk on here and start saying that others would be crazy to think otherwise. I've been to Universal several times, and the only thing they are truly great for is thrill rides. You think that Disney couldn't be the thrill ride king if they so choose to do so? Please. They've CHOOSEN not to in the past because IOA has the overall family appeal of a nightclub. It's a younger persons park for sure.

It's amazing to watch all of the younger people on here, in their teens or younger, defend Universal with their life, and say that Disney needs to put up 10 new coasters. Then we see all of the "older", more experienced people say how well Disney has done with story and theme,and how much they appreciate it.

It's a never ending discussion, and you WON'T change anyone's mind. So PLEASE, stop implying that your opinion is the only correct one.

Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom