For those who drive to WDW or rent a car how often do you go off site?

Do you drive to WDW and stay on site?

• 1. Drive off site 0

Votes: 57 35.8%
  • 2. Drive off site 1-2 times

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • 3. Drive off site 3-4 times

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 4. Drive off site >4 times

Votes: 23 14.5%

• Total voters

World_Showcase_Lover007

If staying on site at a Disney hotel, we almost never go off property, but I like having a car bc the buses are simply unreliable, slow and ridiculous with the scooters.

But when we stay at an off property hotel, we normally drive to the outlets and restaurants quite a bit. You can’t beat a $5 breakfast at Chick-a-fila, and $12 entrees at nearby restaurants.

Ted Daggett

Our family of 5 will split up at the airport, and my wife and 2 kids will take DME, and the luggage will be delivered to our hotel. My daughter and I will rent a car (smaller car than normal, since our luggage is onboard DME), and go to a supermarket to get breakfast food and a case of water, etc. We then use the rental car to drive to the parks and Disney Springs. I can't stand waiting in line to be crammed into busses; being in a car, I feel like I am a little bit in control, even though it may take the same amount of time. And we are all together in the car, instead of spread out among empty seats on the bus (if any).
Another key reason for us to have the rental car is on check out day, we check our luggage at the hotel, and put our carryons into our rental car, and drive to the park. There is no need for us to go back to our hotel 4 hours early to get on DME for the trip back to the airport. We finish our day at the park, go back to the car, and drive straight from the park to MCO.

Roakor

I have drove every time except once and I live 1000 miles away.

Reasons for driving:

1) Usually we would have 3-4 people going and it was cheaper to drive than fly.

2) It is so much faster to get around to parks/adrs when you have your own car vs using the buses.

3) We usually take one day out of our trip to visit another park or other local entertainment.

We have talked about flying down our next trip since its just two of us but seriously the busses can take forever, who has that much time to waste when at Disney?

bunnyman

Since the advent of Magical Express, I haven’t really gone off-site. The kicker for my family was a 2009 trip to the Poly. I realized after renting a car for the week that it hadn’t moved for many days, and I said why did we bother renting it in the first place.

Tom P.

Although we are a fair distance away (about a 14 hour drive), we always drive because (a) my wife hates to fly and (b) with a family of 7, the cost of flying is somewhat prohibitive, even on the cheapie airlines into Sanford.

When we are there, we rarely leave property. We will leave to go to Mass on Sunday morning. And occasionally have ventured to a nearby Walmart for some item we need. But that's about it. Not counting the time I got a kidney stone and had to go to the ER. :) But, generally, we are on property virtually all the time.

John park hopper

Original Poster
In the parking fee forum many posted Disney started the parking fee to discourage people from driving to the resorts and then going off site (captive audience) Interesting results so far it seems 70% either park it or only go off site once or twice

Smiley/OCD

I am ADDICTED to diet Pepsi, so we rent a car and I travel to the nearest 7-11 on 535 to get a super big gulp every day + a few 2L bottles for the parks...
I LOVE to drive and always wanted to drive from NJ to WDW, but my DW said no way...in November, we were caught up in the evacuation of the airport and had no alternative but to rent a car and drive home...my DW and kids liked the ride, we saved 600.00 at least on the flight, and due to my wife's vertigo (which we narrowed down to the altitude) we will now drive down...it's a nice ride, (free from the NJ traffic/ once you get 40 miles south of DC)

Raineman

My first two trips we flew to Orlando. My third trip in 2016 with DW and DD, we drove. It was an adventure-I drove the whole trip from London, Ontario, and we ran into a 4 1/2 hour detour near Jellico, Tennessee due to a rockslide on I-75. Once we got to our resort, we parked the car, and didn't get back in until a week later when we left-25 hours in a car over a day and a half makes you not want to see the inside of that vehicle for a while. We flew last year, and that was ok, not a huge fan of DME (the first long WDW queue of that trip was the line for DME at MCO). For our trip next year, we'll be driving again, and I'm looking forward to it. The last time we drove, we made a couple of stops on the way home in Savannah, GA & Nashville, and we plan on stopping in Savannah again on our trip home next year. Kentucky and Tennessee, with the mountains, makes for a beautiful drive. Ohio, Georgia and Florida are not quite as scenic lol.

Wendy Pleakley

When I was there with a rental car, for two weeks or so, I had side trips to Universal (2 days), Kennedy Space Center, Gator World, and SeaWorld. Some of these days included shopping off-site and visits to one or two other small locations.

Last time, with no rental car, I stuck to Disney but did two days at Universal via Uber. Affordable ride sharing makes a non-car stay, with a few excursions, much more appealing than it used to be.

Overall, the lack of a rental car still kept me onsite for a few more days than if I'd booked one.

Patcheslee

Fly down then rent but there are only 3 of us. We usually do a couple days beforehand at a beach on the coastline then head to Disney. It's just as expensive to rent a few days so for not much more we can have a week and convenience of quick runs. Also don't care for the transportation (I like my personal space). Run to the gas station for Pepsi products every couple days since DH drinks Mt. Dew like a fish.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

I am ADDICTED to diet Pepsi, so we rent a car and I travel to the nearest 7-11 on 535 to get a super big gulp every day + a few 2L bottles for the parks...
I LOVE to drive and always wanted to drive from NJ to WDW, but my DW said no way...in November, we were caught up in the evacuation of the airport and had no alternative but to rent a car and drive home...my DW and kids liked the ride, we saved 600.00 at least on the flight, and due to my wife's vertigo (which we narrowed down to the altitude) we will now drive down...it's a nice ride, (free from the NJ traffic/ once you get 40 miles south of DC)
The Pepsi loyalty!!! We are Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper people lol

Dog Ate Mouse

We drive down from South Jersey because we love the adventure of a Road trip. We also do not like to fly anymore. We love to stop here and there along our way to and from WDW. Once we get there, we never leave off property unless we forgotten to bring something with us that we need. Other than that the answer is almost never.

lacrosse nut

I completely agree with your corrections. We always say that once we get south of Richmond we're home free (in relation to traffic) until we start to get close to Disney on I-4.
OMG...you are correct...We drive from the southeast PA region and loathe the time from the DE border to Richmond... even at 2am it was down to one lane in VA for roadwork...I can't win!!! Had to do that for 4 years with my daughter in a VA college... However, the drive itself has become a family tradition and sometimes we will stop a different locations for a change.. (Kenly's truckstop in NC, the outlets, South of the Border once and only once!, Savannah, etc...). We use our car at Disney to take a break from the park crowds and go to Celebration or a gift shop (to get the cheesiest and touristy gift I can find for the in-laws.. :)

lawdogNOLA

We drive from New Orleans, usually over 2 days, although we've also driven the whole way, though I doubt we'll do that again. Usually driven to Tallahassee, and then to WDW the next day. Did a better plan this time, spending the night in Lake City, FL. Result: Much earlier arrival at WDW, more bang for the buck.

As to why to drive? We had gotten our reservations prior to the institution of the new and discriminatory parking fees, so I'll have to run the numbers again, but driving with a hotel stay has always been cheaper than flying. Plus, family tradition: I first went with my parents and family back in the early 1970s, on a memorable trip that took in the Atlantic Coast on the way to WDW, and the Gulf Coast on the way home. Every time I went with my parents, we drove. And every time I went with my wife, and later our family, I drove.

On site, in the bubble. In our early marriage, we would go off property pretty regularly to eat, and other things. Not so much since arrival of kid, since we went all out on character dining.

We do go off property for Mass, and also to check out souvenirs. My wife loves the new Wal Mart off 192 at Westgate. So many souvenirs, and so many useful items to get, if needed. But that usually means off-property 3-4 times of late.

We drive all over the property when we go to WDW: Character meals for breakfast and dinner, but also the theme parks, Disney Springs, and the water parks (Park Hopper Plus). Free parking everywhere makes it very easy. It's a lot easier to jump in the car from where ever we are (except MK, where a boat ride will do) to get to Ft. Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, for example. No waiting for busses. We're walking up to Typhoon Lagoon in 10 minutes from leaving the hotel. I've found it is 99.99% of the time faster to drive to 3 of the parks: Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot, than taking a bus. The exception is Magic Kingdom, heh, not because we're usually at a monorail resort. Here, the busses take you right to the door of the park, bypassing the need for the monorail or ferry. The result: I usually still drive, but it's usually a wash, with there being plenty of times the bus is faster, but also times that the car is faster as well.

We also used the buses more in the pre-kid era back when Pleasure Island was still a thing, as one could drink without worrying about driving. There's been plenty times when we're planning to only park hop between Epcot and MK, where we've parked at MK, and then used the monorail to shuttle between the parks. Makes me wonder about adding the new gondola onto that mix in the future.

But we're going to have to crunch numbers next time to see how it all plays out with the new fees, or any increases in the fees.

atomicity

Why do you drive to WDW? If you stay on site how often do you drive off site and why?
We fly in from the west coast and as our plane connection always gets us in late at night we rent a car and stay off-site that night. We usually stay in a 1 Br Villa so before check-in we (I) make a run to either WalMart or Publix (depending on the resort) to stock up on food and drink. Find it covenient for trips to AK, DS, and water parks, tho those may not be considered offsite. This trip (Oct) we are going to from GF to DVC Vero Beach so a rental was a no-brainer. Should mention we are DVC members so not subject to the changed parking policy, that should definitely figure into your planning.

Skibum1970

We drive from New Orleans, usually over 2 days, although we've also driven the whole way, though I doubt we'll do that again. Usually driven to Tallahassee, and then to WDW the next day. Did a better plan this time, spending the night in Lake City, FL. Result: Much earlier arrival at WDW, more bang for the buck.

As to why to drive? We had gotten our reservations prior to the institution of the new and discriminatory parking fees, so I'll have to run the numbers again, but driving with a hotel stay has always been cheaper than flying. Plus, family tradition: I first went with my parents and family back in the early 1970s, on a memorable trip that took in the Atlantic Coast on the way to WDW, and the Gulf Coast on the way home. Every time I went with my parents, we drove. And every time I went with my wife, and later our family, I drove.

On site, in the bubble. In our early marriage, we would go off property pretty regularly to eat, and other things. Not so much since arrival of kid, since we went all out on character dining.

We do go off property for Mass, and also to check out souvenirs. My wife loves the new Wal Mart off 192 at Westgate. So many souvenirs, and so many useful items to get, if needed. But that usually means off-property 3-4 times of late.

We drive all over the property when we go to WDW: Character meals for breakfast and dinner, but also the theme parks, Disney Springs, and the water parks (Park Hopper Plus). Free parking everywhere makes it very easy. It's a lot easier to jump in the car from where ever we are (except MK, where a boat ride will do) to get to Ft. Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, for example. No waiting for busses. We're walking up to Typhoon Lagoon in 10 minutes from leaving the hotel. I've found it is 99.99% of the time faster to drive to 3 of the parks: Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot, than taking a bus. The exception is Magic Kingdom, heh, not because we're usually at a monorail resort. Here, the busses take you right to the door of the park, bypassing the need for the monorail or ferry. The result: I usually still drive, but it's usually a wash, with there being plenty of times the bus is faster, but also times that the car is faster as well.

We also used the buses more in the pre-kid era back when Pleasure Island was still a thing, as one could drink without worrying about driving. There's been plenty times when we're planning to only park hop between Epcot and MK, where we've parked at MK, and then used the monorail to shuttle between the parks. Makes me wonder about adding the new gondola onto that mix in the future.

But we're going to have to crunch numbers next time to see how it all plays out with the new fees, or any increases in the fees.

You pretty much nailed it. We fly down because 15 hours is time spent in a car instead of the parks (well, about 8 hours of park time). I rented a car for the first time last year and it made life so much easier. Perfect scenario for me would be to rent a car and stay at the Contemporary (which we usually can't swing). This year, I'm going to use the car more to get to the grocery store close to OKW and offsite dining, which we find to be a little healthier and a lot less expensive. Will probably use the bus from OKW to MK, though, to take advantage of that drop-off and avoid having to wait on the boat/monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom