For those who drive to WDW or rent a car how often do you go off site?

Do you drive to WDW and stay on site?

• 1. Drive off site 0

Votes: 57 35.8%
  • 2. Drive off site 1-2 times

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • 3. Drive off site 3-4 times

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 4. Drive off site >4 times

Votes: 23 14.5%

• Total voters

RKSteel

We drive from NY to WDW, cause it is less money than flying for a family of five, plus we can pack whatever we need. We drive to every park, except MK and typically go off-site for one or two dinners, which is usually tied to a Target run.

JIMINYCR

We try to plan off site excursions a couple of days into our Disney trip just to break things up and allow us to experience more of what the Orlando area has to offer. Its a shame to travel so far to FL and only see a small part of the area. As the day arrives I do hate to leave Disney property but I'm always glad to have experienced something different. We have never regretted taking the time away. Disney does get the majority of our time and money.

jbird327

I live outside of Philadelphia, and drove during my 20s (back in the 70s). Back then WDW was good for a long weekend, we usually stayed off site and would include a stop at NASA and Circus World or Busch Gardens. I began flying when EPCOT opened (as well as increasing length of stay) and used WDW internal transportation, which eliminated the offsite trips. In 1998 I started traveling with my kids and that trip I flew with my two older kids. My first trip with my youngest included (8yo in 2000) was on the Auto Train. She is special needs (Fragile X) and will not fly (or ride the monorail or Peter Pan or any fast or spinning rides, basically she loves seeing the princesses). All trips since then have been on the Auto Train. I use the car for getting around WDW but don't bother going off site as there is nothing that she will enjoy doing. The train works well for us but in the last few years the prices have increased dramatically and although we have a trip planned for Oct 2019, I am not sure what will be in the years that follow.

DABIGCHEEZ

We always drive(from NJ) and for a typical 10-12 day DVC stay, we are off property probably 7 or 9 days for something. Groceries, usually a drug-store at some point(something always happens), off-property restaurants, other attractions in central Fla., etc. We also always drive to parks and D Springs.
If we did not purchase DVC 18 years ago... we probably would not have stayed on site many of those years and I know if we didn't have it now, I definitely would not stay on site today.

Last edited:

MissViv

When we used to drive, we fly now, we hardly ever moved the car from the resort. We have stayed off site a few times with a rental car and of course the car was used every day.

We now fly and use the Magical Express which we LOVE!!

Nottamus

We drive twice a year from New Jersey since 2014. Always stopped on the way in to pick up all we needed.

Wasn't until a trip in April 2017 when i broke a tooth the first day, and my dentist called a prescription in, that i finally went off property mid trip. Since then, we go out at least once for a target or adult beverage run.

We still use Disney transportation in the parks, for us its part of the whole magic.

daringstoic

We always drove for two reasons: airfare for 6 people would've made our trips prohibitively expensive and most WDW resorts couldn't accommodate 6 people (this was in the '90s) without paying for suites or two rooms so we'd haul our camper and stay at Fort Wilderness. Every few trips, we'd do a day trip to Universal or the Kennedy Space Center, but we wouldn't really go off-site for food or even gas.

Daddyoh

We have driven EVERY TIME from Long Island (BEST time 18hrs) usually in 3 days if we want to get there. Recently (since retired) hold up for some time at Hilton Head. The TRAVEL and Journey is just as important as the Destination, this is a GREAT Country to see which you don't get at 30,000 feet above it. We are DVC members and when at WDW stay an average of 10 days to two weeks so we may go to the local Publix (LOVE those wings) at least twice and stock up. There have been times for the basics we will shop at the Resorts. We will stay outside of WDW for a few days just to decompress and go to our favorite eateries even back on grounds. We have found also with the NEW Mickey travel vans that going out on grounds very convenient and much easier. Also depending on what style Villa that we stay at determines how much we stock up on particularly with "fridge" size.

PurpleJesus

We drive from North Carolina - 9 hours - saves $1200-1500 in plane tickets we can put towards the room, instead. Also, we can bring more stuff and use the car as a storage area while we're there for the suitcases/bins once we've unpacked.

I don't think we've ever used the car between parking it at the resort, and driving home the last day. It's just a convienance and cost-saving thing. Also, I think I was a trucker in a former life, and I actually enjoy long drives.

righttrack

In the pre-Magical Express days we used to rent a car. Probably left site once per trip for a grocery run, maybe one more time for something we forgot. We would also drive resort-to-resort for meals when there wasn't a park stop in between. Now we just use Uber for that. For the cost of a one-day car rental, with Uber we basically have a week's worth of access. We also use a grocery delivery service.

lacrosse nut

we have been going every years since 1999. My wife was a cast member at the Disney store in DE. (We live in PA), so we purchased DVC membership at a nice discount. It is because of this we kept going, otherwise it would be too expensive. We are both teachers so most of our trips have been in the summer and with a family of 4 it is cheaper to drive 15-16 hours than fly. We have loved the family trips and did things to make the family time in the car memorable. Started when my kids were 1yo and 4yo and we came back from our June trip now that they are 23yo and 20yo!!! They still love it. However, these last few trips have showed us that we need to fly as everyone is older and would rather not drive. I will never forget the memories we had as a family. Now, as for a car on property, in our first 5 years, we parked the car until the end of our trip. As we became savvy to the ways of WDW we used the car for trips to Publix and found ourselves eating more in the room, we do not mind cooking or eating off property (Raglan Rd...great sit down meal at a nice price...way cheaper than Epcot) We now bring down a few prepared meals and balance them with very few restaurant meals... We are their to relax and now that we have been there many times, we have found or groove... parks in the morning if at all and relax at resort then back out after dinner.. or something like that. We drive to Disney springs... We walk to Epcot and Hollywood studios.. We stay at Boardwalk most trips and avoid Disney buses at all costs.. I like the ability to pick up and go whenever I want.. One time I needed a prescription filled and some other items you would get at a pharmacy so it was convenient. Also, for the occasional beer run or sightseeing of the local area. ... Celebration, or the cheesy souvenoir stores, etc.. DVC members get free parking at resorts so I am covered but I will always drive my car or rent one when on property.. Although, with the prices being higher, I am thinking of staying off property one time in a 4 bedroom house with a pool just to see how it would impact my experience. Sorry for long post... If you have young kids, play up the travel time and make it memorable, they will never forget it... mine have not.

D M C

We drive because it’s cheaper. We are about 12 hours away but driving allows us to take everything we need and the money we save allows us to stay longer. We don’t drive while we are there. I don’t want to cook on vacation and my husband doesn’t want to drive lol. We will be staying at Pop again this year but with the parking fees I am looking into off sight properties now.
We also live 12 hours away and drive. Will be staying onsite in Sept, booked before the parking fee went into effect. Have a trip for Dec and will be flying and getting rental. The parking fee just rubs me the wrong way, don't like paying it with the rack rate for resort. This trip there will be cutbacks made because of the parking fee. Not getting the dining plan and cutting back on shopping.Will probably be a good while before going back. Have an AP but not going to renew. They will be loosing money that I am not spending because of the parking fee. That's my way of feeling better about the parking fee

OG Runner

I have not driven to WDW before, but have rented a car several times. We stay on site, but like having the option of going for a drive off-site. We had gone to Medieval Times a few times, to a couple of the cheap souvenir shops, and even IHOP. It is great to have the option.
This is one of the reasons the new parking charge rubbed me the wrong way.

carnini

Vote now is 0 or 1.
Might take an uber to universal but not longer rent a car.
Always fly now that I have two kids in tow, Disney dealing with my luggage and transportation is just too helpful for me.
We go off times and stay mostly in a moderate with a discount.
As much as I don't love being "stuck" on site, with uber I can get a lift for me and my family.
Also take a boat to disney springs, and then walk to some other areas.
I do wonder with the new charges on staying on site with a car if less people will rent a car when on site.

Janir

Why do you drive to WDW? If you stay on site how often do you drive off site and why?

We usually drive, but we only have 2 adults and we swap off drivers. Once we get to WDW, the truck basically stays parked the entire time, except for trip to Universal Studios. On the last day, we'll check out and drive to whatever park we want to visit, stay all day then start the drive home. Yeah we're crazy like that. Full day at a park or 2 THEN start a 24 hour drive back.

megustamex

We always stay on site and usually drive off-site 2-3 times for supplemental groceries (and water!). We've determined that the money saved on water pays for the rental car in a week for a family of 4 (although with new parking costs at the resort: not so sure). But we really love the car to get to and from the parks - so much nicer to be on our own schedule rather than waiting for transportation, especially at Epcot, HS and AK. And we get to return to the airport on our own schedule as well.

Keetz

We have driven every time that we have been to Disney. We always go somewhere off property. Sometimes to go shopping. Sometimes to go to dinner that is not as expensive. The new parking cost at the hotel honestly makes me want to stay off property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom