For the first time, I've finally seen the fabled mythical Brazillian Tour Groups

disney12stepper

didn't have a "bad" experince with them when my wife and I encountered them (multiple groups multiple days) on our honeymoon... only thing is their group size when in line for an attraction. they took up ALOT of room while in those lines.

216bruce

didn't have a "bad" experince with them when my wife and I encountered them (multiple groups multiple days) on our honeymoon... only thing is their group size when in line for an attraction. they took up ALOT of room while in those lines.
Welcome to the boards and yeah, it's quite a herd when they arrive. They are loud but really no ruder than a lot of US residents are overseas. It's just a different kind of rude. And they are unsupervised (for the most part) kids.

Marc Gil

Any tour group can be a nuisance.

At WDW you have the Brazilian and the Puerto Rican Tour Groups, who are the most misbehaved... And in DLR, you have the Chinese Tour Groups, who are VERY rude...

Yet, I can't speak for all the members of the tour groups because I have met some really nice people from all of them (Brazil, China, and PR).

Adam5897

So I've thankfully never seen these groups. They chant...? What exactly do they chant? I hope I never get stuck behind one of these groups.o_O

Megala

This week was my 9th trip to Disney as an adult, every time I go is either in the middle of the summer or christmas time. This was my first (and probably last) time going in an off-time. And up until this point, I thought the Brazillian tour group was just a thing of legend. And this time, I finally got to witness it! Flags, chanting, same clothing, all of it! I don't have anything negative or positive to say, it was just neat to finally see what has been talked about so much.
Our last trip was Jan 8-18, 2014 and the BTG's were all over. It was amazing at Phantasmic I would guess all but 1/4 of the audience was from a BTG. I wondered if there was anyone left in Brazil. lol

Uncle Remus

I was stuck in line with some at Island of Adventure while waiting for Spider-Man. Guy started singing I'm Proud To Be An American by Lee Greenwood at the top of his lungs. Literally almost everyone joined in completely drowning out their obnoxiousness.

G00fyDad

So I've thankfully never seen these groups. They chant...? What exactly do they chant? I hope I never get stuck behind one of these groups.o_O

They are not the only ones to chant. The cheer groups chant (cheer) relentlessly as well. I have a friend whose daughter used to go to WDW every year to compete, and she would laugh and carry on right along with her daughters group when they started this God awful crap. If you said anything about it she would lose her s**t on you about it. She never saw a problem with it, but she gets upset herself if she is at a public place and someone is interrupting her, or even talking too loud for her sensitivities.

I've never experienced the large throngs of BTG's at WDW, but I have seen one during our October trips. This group pulled off the typical "get one person in line then they allow their 5000 friends in line with them later" stunts. CM's watched it happen and did nothing. When the people nearest them said something about it the group started chanting really loud drowning the people out. Classy.

jcldtrek

I went in may of 2013 and stayed at movies and had a big amount staying there for that week. never had any issues , but there were a lot there. At one of the parks , I cant remember where, but they actually recognized them for coming to the Parks and welcomes them.

Nubs70

My DHs company laid off 75% percent of their employees during this recession, directly tied to the auto industry. They held onto one of three engineers. As they are hiring back employees in 2014, 4 years later those engineers that were bright enough to become educated will again be hired in their field. It is ignorant to believe that the degrees earned are pointless for the future and that those graduates are idiots, it is very short sighted given how many areas of our nation the recession impacted.

I tend to disagree with the assumption that the out of field will easily be rehired. HR will see that they have been out of practice for several years and thus have lost skills. Additionally, experienced engineers command a high compensation level. HR will have a choice between a lesser experienced engineer with lower compensation or an out of practice engineer with high compensation level. Since HR departments now tend to highly influence operations, the economic decision will be for lesser experience and lower compensation.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I tend to disagree with the assumption that the out of field will easily be rehired. HR will see that they have been out of practice for several years and thus have lost skills. Additionally, experienced engineers command a high compensation level. HR will have a choice between a lesser experienced engineer with lower compensation or an out of practice engineer with high compensation level. Since HR departments now tend to highly influence operations, the economic decision will be for lesser experience and lower compensation.

Yep, I never said easily either. But you do prove my point. The was a swelling of engineers during the recession and yet students still went into engineering for their undergrad degree and as you say, reasons you outlined will be hired as engineers even though the likelihood 4-5 years ago with the poor economy. Corporations look at things differently, some want the best of the best others go on the cheap that will never change no matter what career is chosen.

I will always vote to hire a teacher from a Great Teacher, with experience from a well regarded University over a a cheaper higher from a lesser University with no experience. Others think more like you outline, cheaper, no experience. Long run, you tend to get what you pay for or so that is what I have found. I'm not thinking there is a correct answer, but as I posted that reply, I never will support the thought process that higher education can ever be considered a waste of time or money. I also don't believe in the stereo labeling of demographics as "is the culture of the lowlifes in the US." It is these types of comments that demonstrate to me how far we have not come in the US.

Great so you found a few success stories. I'd rather invest in a STEM degree than basket-weaving. Starbucks and restaurants across the nation are littered with liberal arts majors that realized the Cultural Arts factory went under

Source please! Where are you pulling your Starbucks stats from? I'd love to see the breakdown you are sighting for the demographics of education you are sighting. Where did Basket Weaving come from? Is that your opinion of Liberal Arts majors, basket weavers? A chemical engineer, molecular biology, molecular genetics, microbiology,
cellular biology, biochemistry, statistics, mathematics, computer science just to name a few are all Liberal Arts majors. That makes these highly educated people basket weavers and the biochemist will be working at Starbucks? Oy.

Actually I have a great deal of respect for Starbucks, UPS and corporations like them. They try to hire college students and have a terrific tuition reimbursement program for their employees. They also pay health insurance even for their part time employees and have paid vacation for them also. Starbucks pays more in benefits for health insurance than they pay in invoices for coffee. They encourage their employees to continue their education and UPS pretty much does the same.

I'm really interested to see where you retrieved your facts from, link please!

Nubs70

Yep, I never said easily either. But you do prove my point. The was a swelling of engineers during the recession and yet students still went into engineering for their undergrad degree and as you say, reasons you outlined will be hired as engineers even though the likelihood 4-5 years ago with the poor economy. Corporations look at things differently, some want the best of the best others go on the cheap that will never change no matter what career is chosen.

I will always vote to hire a teacher from a Great Teacher, with experience from a well regarded University over a a cheaper higher from a lesser University with no experience. Others think more like you outline, cheaper, no experience. Long run, you tend to get what you pay for or so that is what I have found. I'm not thinking there is a correct answer, but as I posted that reply, I never will support the thought process that higher education can ever be considered a waste of time or money. I also don't believe in the stereo labeling of demographics as "is the culture of the lowlifes in the US." It is these types of comments that demonstrate to me how far we have not come in the US.

Source please! Where are you pulling your Starbucks stats from? I'd love to see the breakdown you are sighting for the demographics of education you are sighting. Where did Basket Weaving come from? Is that your opinion of Liberal Arts majors, basket weavers? A chemical engineer, molecular biology, molecular genetics, microbiology,
cellular biology, biochemistry, statistics, mathematics, computer science just to name a few are all Liberal Arts majors. That makes these highly educated people basket weavers and the biochemist will be working at Starbucks? Oy.

Actually I have a great deal of respect for Starbucks, UPS and corporations like them. They try to hire college students and have a terrific tuition reimbursement program for their employees. They also pay health insurance even for their part time employees and have paid vacation for them also. Starbucks pays more in benefits for health insurance than they pay in invoices for coffee. They encourage their employees to continue their education and UPS pretty much does the same.

I'm really interested to see where you retrieved your facts from, link please!

So I am curious to your stance on transferable skills.

psukardi

Not always, because you bring in a Fresh Engineer from academia with minimal real-world skills and the project comes in behind schedule and over budget. I'm not saying your team needs to be Sr. Laden but believe me, I've seen fresh kids make the same mistakes over and over

Nubs70

Maybe not a 0-1 yr experienced engineer for the 7-10 yr engineer, but a 3-5 yr in place of a 7-10 yr, absolutely.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So I am curious to your stance on transferable skills.

Transferable Skills is the Buzz of the post recession. Dribble created by head hunters and firms like Career Builders is blubber. Weak Human Resource twerps glam onto phrases like this ad nauseam. Those who need to rely on buzz phrases to analyze personnel hires are useless themselves as they can't think outside limited parameters. Those who glam onto shoddy and trendy human resource skills like this will be the ones that find themselves with the door hitting them in the tush on the way out. A good recruiter doesn't implement hiring practices devised by those who couldn't be placed by their own devised standards. I have little patience for low IQ trends setters.

My board has a standing requirement that buzz phrases not be used in any type of presentation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom