FOP or FJ?

Flight Of Passage or Forbidden Journey?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
You had me interested until you put Haunted Mansion as better the FoP, I love me some Haunted Mansion, but c'mon now, its not even in the same category as FoP
oh but it is!!! Haunted Mansion is timeless. It’s one of only a handful of early Disney attractions that have stood the test of time. All the songs, characters, and effects are still as fresh as ever and it’s one of the most creative and detailed rides ever created!! FOP is fun, but to me it’s like a better Soarin’ not a ride that I notice new things each time. :)

Dave B

All I know is I have not been on another ride where I am literally screaming during the ride " oh my god" " or wow that is amazing" and it happens every time, that scene with the ocean and giant wave is amazing, I have not been to Universal, so I don't know about any of those rides, but I can tell you FoP is the one ride I make sure we have fast passes for everyday of our trip, this next trip will be interesting as we will have to secure slinky roller coaster on a day or two, which will limit our FoP, hopefully it will be worth it

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Forbidden Journey is a fantastic attraction, but I'm not sure how much of my love for that attraction is based on my love of Harry Potter in general. For a Harry Potter fan, the ride is complete nirvana. My biggest complaint about Forbidden Journey is the narrative. I mean, as a Harry Potter fan you understand everything you are seeing, but I could imagine how someone not familiar with he source material may be confused as to what is happening (which is not so much an issue with Flight of Passage). Additionally, even if you are well versed on Harry Potter, actually figuring out how/why you are transitioning between each scene can be very tough to grasp. It feels in a lot of ways just like they wanted to take as many exciting things from the Harry Potter universe as they could and shove them together into a 4.5 minute ride. They present this narrative of how you are trying to go to the Quiditich match and the story goes well enough for the most part at the start, but then you get this jarring transition of going between the top of the tower (with the dragon) into the Forbidden Forest (with the acromantulas) and I'm still not sure how they figure you get into the Chamber of Secrets from the Quiddiotch Match...

Nonetheless, despite those possible areas of improvement, I still like Forbidden Journey more (and am just saying there are still yet ways that the ride could be even better). Flight of Passage is still a very fun attraction, though!

Demeter Tess

I give a slight edge to Forbidden Journey, simply because I love Harry Potter more than Avatar. (I literally smile the entire time I'm in line, I'm so happy to be inside Hogwarts!) But I really do love them both!

- Lauren

cheezbat

So not in your top 5 in Orlando, what would be your top 5

To me FoP is the best ride I have ever been on, so I would love to hear your 5 that are even better

Top five in Orlando:

1. Forbidden Journey
2. Spiderman
3. Splash Mountain
4. Tower of Terror
5. Haunted Mansion

What's crazy to me though is I'm NOT a big Potter fan. I watched just a few movies before ever riding Forbidden Journey...but the experience was so much more than I imagined it would be, and it actually interested me in watching the whole series.

Of course this whole thing is based on options, and while mine is different from yours doesn't make me or you right. I just know how Spider-Man, Tower of Terror, and Forbidden Journey absolutely knocked my socks off when I first rode them. Splash Mountain was such a crazy build to me: so many animatronics, a huge indoor/outdoor flume with some great drops, and a fun soundtrack...and Haunted Mansion had me trying to figure out for ages how the Peppers ghost effect worked...and loved the ending with the ghosts in our doom buggies. Absolutely timeless.

While I enjoy rides like Flight of Passage, It just didn't wow me as much as it has others. I think much of it has to do with every ride I've had on it, I very easily see the people next to me, above and below me, moving on their ride platforms, and it just takes me out of the experience. Maybe they should build blinders on the sides and tops of the 3-d glasses to block those views lol.

celluloid

The Dome Screens portions of Forbidden Journey provide a similar, if not superior flight sensation for me as Flight of Passage. The queue, sensations, special effects and how close you get to practical effects within Forbidden Journey are closer than any other ride envelope in the world. We are talking about your face only feet away and your feet only inches away from some amazing theming and special effects in a multimedia extravaganza. As an entire package, Flight of Passage is a fun time but capacity is part of design and it is atrocious, nore is is comfortable. ADA wise, Forbidden Journey is much more thoughtful without losing capacity/efficiency. The stories, perhaps light in both seems to give a more risk driven narrative in Forbidden Journey, so for me that is more intense. The preshows that desperately in awkward exposition tone of Flight of Passage both drag on to where it would be one of those times it would be better to wait in a heavily themed environment without a screen driven explanation. It is my least favorite set of preshows of all time. Forbidden Journey has multiple varities of talking portraits beyond just being oil painting looking screens. In the last open area of the queue, you have multiple portraits interacting with each other as well as the ride vehicle explained and flying by each of theirs(very Muppets 3D that is still magic when timed right)

A great motion simulator can be great. I Certainly think Flight of Passage is, but to me it does not take things too far beyond what Back to the Future: The Ride did in 1991 considering we are over 26 years later with a much bigger budge, technology and experience available. I will say the opening moment in Flight of Passage wowed me. Even after having to wait far too long in the straddle position because someone on another floor or area would not remain seated. But I can't say that one moment makes up for the rest.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Top five in Orlando:

1. Forbidden Journey
2. Spiderman
3. Splash Mountain
4. Tower of Terror
5. Haunted Mansion

What's crazy to me though is I'm NOT a big Potter fan. I watched just a few movies before ever riding Forbidden Journey...but the experience was so much more than I imagined it would be, and it actually interested me in watching the whole series.

Of course this whole thing is based on options, and while mine is different from yours doesn't make me or you right. I just know how Spider-Man, Tower of Terror, and Forbidden Journey absolutely knocked my socks off when I first rode them. Splash Mountain was such a crazy build to me: so many animatronics, a huge indoor/outdoor flume with some great drops, and a fun soundtrack...and Haunted Mansion had me trying to figure out for ages how the Peppers ghost effect worked...and loved the ending with the ghosts in our doom buggies. Absolutely timeless.

While I enjoy rides like Flight of Passage, It just didn't wow me as much as it has others. I think much of it has to do with every ride I've had on it, I very easily see the people next to me, above and below me, moving on their ride platforms, and it just takes me out of the experience. Maybe they should build blinders on the sides and tops of the 3-d glasses to block those views lol.
Yes!! For me, nothing has wowed as much as Forbidden Journey, Tower Of Terror, or Spider Man! The Mummy is my personal favorite coaster in Orlando and it still makes me wonder how they do all those awesome fire effects! And Haunted Mansion still timeless as ever. FOP left me feeling kind of underwhelmed. It literally felt like a Soarin 2.0. I can very easily see everyone next to me and the whole room of other people.

JusticeDisney

Wow, I’m surprised by these results. When I opened this thread, I honestly expected FOP would have nearly every single vote. Shows what I know, lol.

Anyway, I went with FOP, although both are truly spectacular, IMHO.

cheezbat

What's funny to me is how Forbidden Journey is an 8 year old ride, and Flight of Passage just turned 1....and this conversation wouldn't even be happening because Flight of Passage would never have existed if not for the Wizarding World and Forbidden Journey.

This theme park renaissance happening in Orlando never would've happened without Potter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom