Food & Wine Suggestions?

dandaman

...That's right, folks. NOT a Photo TR. :lol:

Here's the situation: We'll be down in Florida from Friday, October 5th to Tuesday the 9th. More specifically, we're going to Epcot on Saturday. Now I recently figured it out that the F&W Fest is going on then, and was wondering if anyone could make recommendations on which food to try. (And wine, but that part wouldn't concern me so much as the parents. :lookaroun) Also general crowds around that time of year, though I realize it's impossible to predict. Ballpark figures welcome, folks.

Thanks in advance!

donaldfan

I don't recall it being too crowded last year, or the lines being too long. Maybe waited up to a minute or two at a booth.

We'll spend one night (a week night) having a tapas style dinner -- you really can fill up on this stuff. The other night (weekend night) we'll go around and have desserts after our dinner in Mexico.

We did Party for The Senses last year. It was fun, but not a definite repeat. We left a table we got early in the evening -- mistake. People claim tables and then don't move. Half the party at a table will be gone getting food and half the table will be empty, and people get all wierd if you just want to sit your glass down for a second while you eat something. It's supposed to be a cocktail type party, but most everyone thinks they are supposed to claim a table and not move. The party and food were great, but the crowd didn't seem to get the atmospehere Disney was going for . . . they need to either add more seating, or find a way to get people to get up and move around the room some.

The vertical wine tasting at the CA Grill is excellent!

Upvote 0

Gorjus

^Generally they enjoy red wines more than white, I believe. As far as Merlots, Chardonnays, etc... I have no idea. :lol:

OK, that helps. If you had said they like White Zinfandel (pink wine), I would have said steer them towards the sweet wines.

Since they go with red, the question is whether it is good red or crappy reds. Either way, here are some recommendations:

When you think of wine, you think of what countries? France, Germany, Italy, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, etc. You don't think of India, Morocco, Norway, England, etc.

Stick with the countries that are known for wine, but don't be afraid to try one or two of the weird countries. They might actually find something from Morocco or Greece that suits their taste. In which case stick with the unusual.

Unfortunately, the booths at the F&W fest are not staffed with people who can aid you in your wine choices. There are walk abouts in Australia that are helpful and there are free seminars on a daily basis all around the festival that will help you narrow your tastes down.

Whenever possible you want to try a wine that is named after a grape and not a color. Merlot as opposed to Red. In terms of red wines, and intensity I would say that you start with Merlot, Pinot Noir, Cab/Merlot, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon in that order of intensity. However, that is my opinion and different wines will change that opinion.

Also, pairing certain wines with certain foods is magic in terms of how a wine tastes. A wine that is WAY too strong on its own is magical when paired with a certain food. By the same token, a wine that is weak is also magical when paired with a great food. Some of the best pairings EVER: Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) with Goat Cheese Tart (France) and Durban Spiced Chicken (S. Africa) with Indaba Merlot (S. Africa).

And there are 2 wines that should always be tried, one for its novelty and one for its universal appeal. Go to Canada and try the Ice Wine. It is quite expensive, but people love it. It is REALLY sweet, so I don't drink it, but a newbie will love it. Also try Banfi Rosa Regale in Italy. For the most part, if you like dry or sweet wines, you will like this. It is a sparkling wine, like champagne, but is red in color. It is not too sweet and not too dry and rare is the person who does not enjoy it.

And just because you don't like the merlot in one country does not mean you don't like merlot. If every Chardonnay you try from every country does not suit your tastes, then cross chardonnay off your list, but a distasteful Shiraz in one country does not mean you don't like Shiraz in any country.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Upvote 0

Gorjus

dandaman,

I'll be there on the 6th as well. Just look for the blonde tooting her own horn:D And it is a Saturday during the F&W fest. It will be crowded. The weekdays are great, the weekends are crowded.

Upvote 0

cooleo

Last year we tried several different things...but all were desert -y (except for my beer...mmmm....beer...). The chocolate Creme Brulee in France was VERY good...the apple strudel with vanilla sauce was good...and the Baklava was really nice.

Don't think you can go wrong with most of it...can't wait until we are there in October!!

Kevin

Have to do the "Drink Around the World" for F & W Fest. It makes for a great time. :lol: :dazzle:

Upvote 0

dandaman

Original Poster
dandaman,

I'll be there on the 6th as well. Just look for the blonde tooting her own horn:D And it is a Saturday during the F&W fest. It will be crowded. The weekdays are great, the weekends are crowded.

Awesome. :sohappy: (Look for me hanging out near O Canada! :lookaroun)

OT: Will SSE be open yet?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom