?? Food & Wine Festival ??

whizGoofy

Original Poster
So I am going to WDW the last full week in September (24th-31st). During that time the Food & Wine Festival start. My question is: How does it work?? Do I buy tickets for the food, much like a "taste of (inserct town name here)"? Or do I need a ticket to attend, much like Mickey's not So Scary Halloween Party (which I am also going to)? Or is it a free event?? I am looking for some input as to what the event is really all about.

gatordoc

Think more like the Flower and Garden Festival. There are some paid events, but you can see, eat, and drink lots of things at booths set up all around World Showcase as part of your regular admission.

Sharon L

The booths are set up around World Showcase. Each booth has snack size samplings of two or three dishes from that country, and wine and/or beer offerings from that country. You just pay at the booths. I believe I read somewhere that snack credits on the Disney Dining Plan can be used at the booths. Don't quote me on that.

The Mom

Premium Member
The last time we went, there was an Australian wine section, where you paid a set fee (around $10) and got a card that allowed you to sample a certain number of wines.

Tinkrbell

Each booth has snack size samplings of two or three dishes from that country.
Does anyone know if it is possible to just have these samples as a meal? I have ressies for Garden Grill while I'm there in October,but would it be advisable to save the money on that & have the samples from the different countries instead?
~Kristin

Stitch's Cousin

Does anyone know if it is possible to just have these samples as a meal? I have ressies for Garden Grill while I'm there in October,but would it be advisable to save the money on that & have the samples from the different countries instead?
~Kristin

Yes, wandering around the F&W festival booths as a meal can be alot of fun. Each sample can range from ~$2-5, so it may or may not end up being cheaper than Garden Grill for you. The "plus" side of the booths is being able to sample many different foods (and drinks!) instead of an entree-sized portion from a restaurant.

Tinkrbell

Thanks. I'm going to have to talk to my mom about it, but I doubt she'll care since she said I can choose where we eat.

whizGoofy

Original Poster
Think more like the Flower and Garden Festival. There are some paid events, but you can see, eat, and drink lots of things at booths set up all around World Showcase as part of your regular admission.

Thanks, I have been to the F&GF & loved it. I sure hope the food is great. I have yet to eat at many of the "countries" in Epcot. So it should be fun!!

xcrashx15

I went to the F&W Festival last year with my mom and aunt, and all of us loved it. We did exactly what you mentioned, since usually when we go to Epcot we "eat and drink around the world" anyway, as we call it. As the others have mentioned, each country has a booth set up near the main walkway and there are also some additional booths for countries not represented in the WS. We stopped at each one for a food item and a drink, and that definitely served as a filling and reasonably priced meal on more than one night during our trip! For around $7 - 15, you can also do "wine tours" at various stations (someone mentioned Australia) where they will tell you all about the wine and the region where the grapes are from, etc. You usually also get a nice stamped card to take with you during the tours; my aunt put all of hers into a scrapbook. There's also a festival welcome center set up where you can buy all of the wines as well as festival merchandise, and it was great seeing Kansas live (and for free!) during the concerts they have at night. I'm actually going back again with friends this year.

hedgewick

We're leaving tommorow for WDW. I plan on saving up my dining plan snack credits for the week we are there and use them on epcot day at the booths instead of a full lunch...I'm sure I'll be full from that. Ha ha!

Gorjus

*Ahem* :D I am the F&W queen. :king: I've been to every one. My first piece of advice, arrive early. My second, skip any dinner reservations that day. My third, either plan for multiple days (2 half days) or start early and take your time with one day.

Here is how it works:
The F&W festival is free with your EPCOT admission. Before 11 AM, only the festival welcome center in Innoventions West is open for wine tasting. After 11 AM, when World Showcase opens, there are approximately 20-25 countries (more than the World Showcase "official" countries) where wine/food/beer tasting is offered around the lagoon. The cost of a sample size portion of food/wine/beer is between $2 - $5.

So, you check out the guide, or stop by the booths and check out the offerings of each country. If it sounds good to you, you get in line and purchase your food/wine/and/or beer from that booth.

Please use common sense and skip wines from countries that are not known for wine (ie: Canada, unless it is Ice Wine; China; Norway; Morroco; etc.) The exception to this rule would be if Norway, for example, was offering California wines.

Note: When purchasing alcohol, you may only purchase as many glasses as the server can see adults for. In other words, 1 person can not purchase 2 glasses of wine/beer, unless a second person is standing near the booth and the server can see them.

There are some countries/regions that will have a more extensive exhibit in addition to their usual booth. Australia, for example will have a wine flight. You pay $10.00 and you receive a "passport". There are 5 little stands in the Australia area. Each stand will have 4-5 different brands of wine. You choose 5 little wine samples total that you wish to try. It may be 1 from each stand or 5 from one stand. When you have 5 stamps on your passport, you are done.

Additionally, there are complimentary seminars. For example, Charles Heidseck, or Castella de Banfi, or Villa Maria (or it may be countries: Australia, South Africa, or Spain) may be offering a seminar at 2:00 PM at the xyz location. You would need to get in line early for this seminar. Once it begins, they will tell you a bit about their company/vineyard/country and then give you 4-5 samples of the wines they offer.

There are also paid seminars that are more extensive, but until you've tried some of the complimentary ones and experienced the Festival, you don't need to worry about those.

Drink a lot of water. Take your time between booths. Sharing is a beautiful thing. I will get in line for Indaba Merlot and Saute'ed Chicken in South Africa while my friend will get in line for Prawns (shrimp) and Sauvignon Blanc in Australia. We will each sample the wines and the foods from the countries and if we find one we like a lot, we get in line for another helping.

Buy the cookbook. Some of the recipes are so simple to make at home.

And for goodness sake, take a video camera and/or notebook and write down your thoughts as you taste the food and wine. :D :hammer: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise. You can't always remember what you liked and didn't like at the end of a long day of consuming alcohol.:hammer: :D

LilRoo714

This year is my first time going to the Food & Wine Festival :sohappy:

Thanks Gorjus for all those tips. They will definitely be helpful.

Does anyone else out there have more to add?

I was going to start a thread on this but saw this one pop up again today so I'll just keep it going...:D

jakeman

Please use common sense and skip wines from countries that are not known for wine (ie: Canada, unless it is Ice Wine; China; Norway; Morroco; etc.)
Not to start a ruckus, but China had a very good plum wine last year. Perhaps steer clear of the wine standards at these booths (merlots, chardonnays, etc.), but if you are adventurous, some of the other wines (plum, ice, etc) are very different and very good.

It would really boil down to "sample what you like". I personally would advise against skipping a country based on their wine reputation, you run the risk of skipping something delicious and new.

No offense in anyway meant towards you Gorjus. Just a different approach to the Food and Wine Festival.:wave:

My overall tip for anyone going would be, if you can afford it, buy tickets to Party for the Senses. They are $125 a piece, but it is all you can sample from dozens of chefs from around the world and dozen of wineries. It takes place in the evening on Saturdays when Epcot will be the most crowded. It is truely amazing.

Gorjus

No offense taken. You are right. China has plum wine (YUCK!) and Japan has Sake (YUCK) which some people love and they are worth trying if you never have. And like I said, places like Norway that just don't make wine will sell California wines, which are quite good. If you have a week, try them all. If you have only a day or two, eat the food, but skip the wines of Greece, Morocco, and Canada (unless you like Ice Wine).

When we go with a crowd there are some of us that like dry wines, some like sweet wines, some like all whites, some all reds, etc...you get the point. Newbies, well you can count on them liking sweet wines. As your palate advances you may find you like different wines with different foods. That is the joy of the festival.

LilRoo714

I was also wondering how crowded the Eat to the Beat Concerts usually are... especially the more well-known names like the Beach Boys. I'll be there that weekend.

Anyone have tips on how early to get to shows?

Where do the bands play?

banimall

Similar to the wine tasting they also have the beer tasting for free. The last time I was there they had Sam Adams in the American pavillion and a random sampling over at England. You have to sign up ahead of time. Plus if you go with someone that doesn't really drink you can have the bottle of beer for yourself. They usually put out a bucket of 4 or 5 beers.

autumndawn1006

Are the food offerings the same in the same location throughout the day? E.G. if you see something you would like to try in Canada at 11:30, but aren't hungry yet, will the same thing still be there at 5:00?

Gorjus

Are the food offerings the same in the same location throughout the day? E.G. if you see something you would like to try in Canada at 11:30, but aren't hungry yet, will the same thing still be there at 5:00?

As a matter of fact, the food and wine and beer offerings are the same through out the entire festival...for the most part. It is printed in the program and is a set menu for a month and a half. Towards the end of the festival, around Nov 12th, if they happen to run out of an item, it might be substituted.

Oh my goodness I had so much fun at the food and wine festival yesterday and that austrilian wine testing THE MOM is talking about is actually not 10 Dollars but 7 dollars now. =D

I had tons of funa nd by all means, don't skip out on countries that aren't into wine or anything. It's not all about the wine anyway, there's also beers and liquids you can try from other countries.

My favorites from yesterdays spending spree....was Mango Mama wine from the florida booth, the norwigian meatballs with mash potatoes and the plum sake from japan. Wooooooooooooo I have the list of the foods and places and where to go for the complementary beer samples in which you get to sample 5 beers!!! FOR FREE!! X_X They pour a bottle into a glass and while you're "sipping" on the beer, they tell you about it. It was great and all in all, I spent like 60 bucks >_> But I had a lot to sample and a lot to drink. XD

I also went to the cast pin party where cast members save hundreds of dollars on pins. I bought 300 dollars worth of pins for 40 bucks. =D

I love being a CM. *cackles*

If I'm not lazy tomorrow, I'll post up all the menu for Food and wine,...or at least the booths.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU ALSO MUST TRY THE CHERRY WHEAT SAMUAL ADAMS....My god, it's cherry and beer mixed together!! So yummy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom