Food Rocks VS Soarin

luv

While I wouldn't necessarily denounce it as "propaganda"....I can't help but savor the irony of Circle of Life in regards to Walt Disney World, given that the basic plot is that building a theme park in a fragile ecosystem is a bad thing, and one should feel bad for even considering it.
I always chuckle about that myself, lol. Disney World is about as anti-environment as you get. And few people who go there walk or ride bikes, lol. I do think being as green as possible is nice enough. I recycle and all that. But the irony there is funny.

I don't care for that movie, but the beginning part is so wonderful that it is worth sitting through the rest of the show, at least once, to see.

epcot2016

This is the only case where I prefer an old Epcot attraction over a new one. I hate Soarin'. I loved Food Rocks and Kitchen Kabaret.

FigmentForver96

Soarin' hands down. The shows had their charm, but Soarin' is stunning. Yea its a little overrated, but how could it not be when there is nothing else that impressive in the park to begin with unfortunately.

Goofyernmost

I suppose it could be said that Soarin is overrated, but, that almost seems like a veiled apology for liking something that we feel are not something we think we should like. I know so many people that ride that again and again. To them it is not overrated, it is something that they love and want to do. Food Rocks was cute, but, never drew the crowds at all. It was there many years before I even noticed it. (of course, that's just me, what can I say)

Chef Mickey

Food Rocks was awesome and really no need to remove it completely (as usual, they remove things that could be kept in other closed areas of the park).

Food Rocks could have been moved to Circle of Life theater or Wonders of Life pavilion. Circle of Life is just a movie...Food Rocks was a show.

Chef Mickey

Soarin' hands down. The shows had their charm, but Soarin' is stunning. Yea its a little overrated, but how could it not be when there is nothing else that impressive in the park to begin with unfortunately.
I don't disagree, but this is how exectuvies must think too.

Why is everything awlays one or the other? Well, you can have 7DMT or Snow White. Why not both? Just keep both. You can have Frozen, but we are taking away Maelstrom. Why?

Because money.

It's not like EPCOT has "too many" attractions or not enough space. There are entire buildings at EPCOT just sitting there with nothing...huge plots of land with so much potential.

They are just cheap.

jbeachboy

kitchen kabaret and food rocks was classic, i loved both and loved that these shows had very little wait and wasnt crowded usually with air conditioning. i wish they kept it as it was a huge part of the land pavilion and one of the things you remember about epcot. i never went on soarin but hope to next time i go there.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
First of all of Horizons and Journey into Imagination were still around in full glory or better I wouldn't give soarin the time or day, in that case they might as well have put it in Animal Kongdom but Epcot is hurting for attractions.

Goofyernmost

I would never ask you to explain my opinions ;)
Good thing, because I would be at a loss to do so. So, like I said... if that is how you feel, that is how you feel. Not any of my business at all. Just expressing my inability to know why, not that it should matter to me. But, this would be a pretty boring discussion board if we didn't have an occasional dash of discussion. Instead of Point/Counterpoint, it would just be Point/Move along, nothing to see here. :)

Matt in the Hatt

Kitchen kaberet is something a grew up with so there is a nostalgia factor, i love animatronic based shows and it was a really fun one, also while i have vivid memories of it my wife doesn't remember it so i would like to be able to share it with her. Soarin is a good concept but it didnt grab me. The jump cuts took me out of everything. But i am glad that you and alot of people enjoy it, there needs to be a little for every body. Its a careful balancing act between nostalgia and innovation

Goofyernmost

Kitchen kaberet is something a grew up with so there is a nostalgia factor, i love animatronic based shows and it was a really fun one, also while i have vivid memories of it my wife doesn't remember it so i would like to be able to share it with her. Soarin is a good concept but it didnt grab me. The jump cuts took me out of everything. But i am glad that you and alot of people enjoy it, there needs to be a little for every body. Its a careful balancing act between nostalgia and innovation
That is for sure. I, personally think that all we can do is fondly remember what was there and try to enjoy what is there now. None of it will last forever. I first saw CoP in 1983. At that time the theme was "Now is the best time". It stayed that way for a long time and then they went back to the original theme of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". Now I won't kid you and try to tell you that the first one I saw isn't still my favorite because it certainly is, however, I have also learned to enjoy the current version. So I do understand nostalgia and of the two previous attractions Kitchen Kaberet and Food Rocks, KK is definitely better, but, I'd be willing to bet that if Food Rocks was the first one you saw you would think that nothing is better then that. All very personal and really cannot be factually described as better other then to ourselves. To me Soarin' is more fun then either of the two, but, I also am always an advocate that they never should take anything OUT, they should only upgrade and ADD to the parks.

jbeachboy

do they just get rid of these rides to try and add variety or to attract more people to more futuristic things or is it a financial thing?

Goofyernmost

To answer that is both. The shows were OK, but, they weren't a big draw. They routed the queue to Soarin basically into the theater where the show ran and although many do remember them fondly, they were never a huge draw. Soarin does in one day what it takes at least a week for the other two to meet. It was a bad sentimental choice but a sound common sense one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom