flynnibus deep thoughts about WDW - after nearly 10 years away

jloucks

6) The details are lost on the younger ones... I mean, they clearly saw all the detail put into the lands... but I don't know if they really appreciated it. At the end of the days... coasters were want they kept getting drawn back to.

7) On Deluxe hotel... honestly you're paying to avoid negatives at the other hotels. And I think that's miserable. You're paying to have a smaller resort vs buses to get around.. or long walks. You're paying to avoid bad transit to the parks. You're paying to avoid the smaller beds at the values. At the end of the day, the hotel room I had all week before at the Rosen Center was every bit as nice as the $400/night renovated Yacht club room.

And at the end... on the way home I asked each of my family individually... what would they prefer for a future trip, WDW or another cruise?

All three said Cruise.
One said the parks were cool, but eventually they were getting a bit bored
One said they liked all the destinations the boat went
Mom said she loved not worrying about when/what for food and the service level on the boats

I did follow up with the youngest and said 'but what about when SW land opens?' - she reserved judgement :)

Sorry WDW, minus star wars... it looks like you are still second chair to your real vacation experience... your cruise lines.

We did a Disney Cruise for the first time this past Thanksgiving. It was crazy expensive, but it was really nice. Quite a bit different than WDW, but no crowds and no buses made it really nice.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm especially interested in your family's desire to go on a Disney Cruise rather than attend the parks. Could you share a bit more on what makes the cruises a better value in your family's opinion?
Same. I went and priced a Disney cruise for our family right after reading through this.

Ok, this is not meant to be a cruise pitch... but since a large reason for this trip was the fact we had been doing the cruises IN LEIU of the parks in recent years.. so I wanted to solicit their feedback to compare the experiences. After all, as the main bread winner... I'm the one who sets the pain threshold on how much I'm willing to spend to take a certain trip. While both WDW and the ships are Disney... they are approached and consumed very differently.

I think the TL: DR version is.... WDW is a lot of work, while cruising is about relaxing and enjoying

For WDW, we were up early every day.. we were on the move all the time, except for when at the pool. I mean literally.. you are walking ~5 miles a day. In the Florida sun, that becomes a bigger and bigger burden as you age. I developed a blister on day 1 and suffered with that the duration of the stay.

While a cruise is very structured... its actually more laid back. In the 'everything is an hour wait' and you can't get FPs era of the parks... I believe that encourages people to chase 'whats the low wait now' - leading to more criss-crossing the park and less leisurely discovery. Add into that park hopping.. and the 'what to do next' thinking actually becomes a burden to bear. With limited time in the parks.. and so much cost... you are steered towards trying to optimize everything.

Dining is too inflexible. One of the big features of WDW is the dining offerings. But they have gotten so absurd in cost, you have to turn your brain off to tolerate it. And you get locked into doing the dining, even if you decide that day, you'd rather do something else. Again, something that should be a PLUS, starts to become a burden. On the ships, yes dining hours are even MORE rigid, but everything is scheduled around them.. so it is not a conflict. Plus, if you don't want to eat in the main dining room, you have JUST AS GOOD options elsewhere that can be taken at your lesiure. So... no conflict over trading down, or paying cancelation fees, etc.

Activities - This is where I figured the kids would have been 'missing the rides' as everyone thinks will happen with their families if they go on a cruise. This trip was the perfect litmus test of that... the two kids with us both love coasters, thrill rides, etc. They are old enough to go around and do things on their own, make their own choices, etc. And while those rides dominated our visit... NEITHER pointed those out as why they should do WDW over a cruise. The oldest actually pointed out she liked the different destinations and activities we did on the cruise ... while the younger one actually said she started to get bored in the parks at times. (I attribute that to the idea we had to stay in a certain park because we had schedule commitments, or that it was hard to leave and come back within reasonable time).

Everyone loved being able to walk from Yacht Club to EPCOT. The problem was... EPCOT wasn't really always where they wanted to be. Contrast that with the ship (or even DLR IMO) where proximity is not as much an issue.

I think I can sum it up in that the WDW experienced forced our hand... be it chasing low waits, being locked into reservations, being locked OUT of FP for things, attraction splits between parks, distances, having to ignore prices to be sane, etc.

Contrast that with the cruise ship... instead you are basically given a menu each day of 'what would you like to do?' - yes there are constraints, but they don't seem to dominate the overall feel of picking stuff. There is much more downtime and relaxing in your schedule. You aren't having to make such choices like "we have 2 hours to fireworks.. so we really need to stay here, what should we do from the things we haven't done yet?". The things like shore excursions you lock in early... but the limited # of things you lock in helps it all not seem as constraining.

Yes the cruise ships are expensive... but dining is taken out of the mix entirely. I can eat what I want, when I want, with no need to turn off my sensibilities around money. We don't drink 4 cocktails a day... so splurging 1-2 a day on a speciality drink falls under the radar.

A theme they were pushing hard on our last cruise was "YOU ARE ON VACATION!" - and it shouldn't be work... let us pamper you. And that rings very true. And maybe that's what stood out the most on our return to WDW... too much 'work'

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Same. I went and priced a Disney cruise for our family right after reading through this.

Also, just a note... remember time of year MASSIVELY impacts costs. We would cruise around holloween time... and it can be HALF the cost of a summer or holiday period.

As just orders of magnitude... our cruising for 5 tended to run about 5-6k and about 8-8.5k for everything (travel, incidentials, extras, etc) for 7 days.

I've not summed up this trip yet.. but my incidentals charged to the room... ~1k. 4 Tickets+Deluxe Hotel=~3700. ~1500 in airfare... so roughly $6200.. That's a big pill. Prior trips we'd try to do cheaper (drive, value resort, etc) - but even 10 years ago those would be about $3500.

As the breadwinner... if given the choice of $6200 vs $8500... I'd argue the cruise uplift is still worth it.

LeighM

I had the March trip with my inlaws who love Disney cruising. They had gone to WDW after they got married 20 years ago and WDW is much different now. I took the lead in planning everything because they were used to the laid back nature of Disney cruising. My BIL wasn't used to all the walking in the parks so he didn't bring the best shoes and had a blister at the end of the first park day. My husband and I are used to the "speed" of the parks and found ourselves having to slow down a lot for his bro/SIL and not rush to the next ride or FP. We have a DCL scheduled for next year and I hope I enjoy it. I know my husband will but I'm the type that likes to be "go, go, go" and find it next to impossible to completely relax - which is why the parks really appeal to me. At the beach, I can sit still for 10 minutes max before I'm walking the shoreline looking for seashells LOL.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Other random memories...

The POTC auction reworking... It's literally the first time I wanted to audibly BOO an attraction. Talk about completely altering and ruining the message. Chickens??? Seriously? Worst creative change since Imagination was gutted. This is 'rolling over in their grave' type stuff.

The changing of the chase scenes was bad... Jack Sparrow was..forced. This? #BRINGBACKTHEREDHEAD!!!

I had the March trip with my inlaws who love Disney cruising. They had gone to WDW after they got married 20 years ago and WDW is much different now. I took the lead in planning everything because they were used to the laid back nature of Disney cruising. My BIL wasn't used to all the walking in the parks so he didn't bring the best shoes and had a blister at the end of the first park day. My husband and I are used to the "speed" of the parks and found ourselves having to slow down a lot for his bro/SIL and not rush to the next ride or FP. We have a DCL scheduled for next year and I hope I enjoy it. I know my husband will but I'm the type that likes to be "go, go, go" and find it next to impossible to completely relax - which is why the parks really appeal to me. At the beach, I can sit still for 10 minutes max before I'm walking the shoreline looking for seashells LOL.
This is ME! I get so bored sitting by a pool and if I'm at the beach you can bet I'm boogie boarding or ready to go. I love the hustle and bustle of a park. It's invigorating and is relaxing to me. The only time I remember being stressed in a park is when the dang ferry moved to slow. Haha I do spend time planning ahead and we just went this June and never waited more than 25 mins for anything as I don't like long waits. other than our fast passes and some meals we don't plan out ride order or every minute. I think I might get bored on a cruise. I am sure I would like the shows but apart from payong extra for excursions I don't think it would keep me occupied. I guess we all are different. I do love reading but I can do that any day of the year and with teenagers I have plenty of free time so for vacation I like to be on the go. I'm sure as I get older I'll have to slow down. I used to open and close a park and we only do that once or twice a trip now. But I really love being able to ride a coaster, watch a show, ride a water ride, be in a show, take my time at a table service, hug a character and so forth. Each day is a perfect mix of so many random things for me. I love how I am in a different place each day and even in one park the different lands can give me the feel of being different places. I am not knocking cruise life at all. I know people who love it so much. Just saying I know how you feel with loving the hustle and bustle. Now how to save so I can go back in 2020....

eliza61nyc

So, some trends became apparent over my trip

3) Dragging Coolers around the parks? Not cool IMO

4) The only way to experience a WDW vacation now is to turn off your brain when it comes to prices. If you actually try to use your normal senses when deciding what or where to go... you simply will melt down in anger or frustration. There is simply no way to put it... when a McDonalds-level Meal costs you $15/head instead of $7... your stop in the sundries store costs you $30 for snacks.. And a T-shirt is $32... prices suck. Disney has every economy of scale (labor, site, logistics, buying, etc) going for it and they still just really stick it to you. I mean dinner at liberty tree for 3 people... $146 dollars! At home that is steak/shrimp at the Japanese Steakhouse at 'special occasion' situation... You just can't justify any of it as a buyer. You can only agree to turn off your brain. I find that incredibly sad... and clearly I will never be one of those who visits more frequently than every year or two because I refuse to just burn money this badly.

5) People suck moving through crowds - see https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/thanos-rules-for-theme-park-guests.944256/#post-8254575

I thought the bolded was pretty interesting. I think for me it's maybe because I lived in NYC and Philadelphia all my life. A dinner for three at the Cheesecake factory was 150.00 bucks last Sunday. My son just graduated from Temple and we took 6 folks out to dinner at a great Italian restaurant and it ran me about 400.00 bucks and Mcdonalds stop being 7 dollars a long time ago. A medium big mac meal around here is about 9 bucks.

So actually I find my Disney vacations a pretty decent value. next Saturday I'm going to see Aladdin on Broadway.
Let me count the ways.
3 front mezzanine seats. 187.00 + 13.00 handling fee. 200.00 bucks each . total 600.00
Parking. 50.00
dinner for three. I'm budgeting 270.00 for a very middle of the road dinner .
So one nights entertainment pretty much is going to run anywhere between 800-900.00 bucks.

Last year we spent a week in July at the beach at Ocean city nj.
2 bedroom condo 1 block from beach. 3,500.00
beach tags (In nj you have to buy beach tags to sit on the beach. don't get me started) 10.00 bucks each.
eating out for the week (I don't cook on vacation no matter where I go. lol) 1,500.00

not including movies, amusement games and bike rentals.

Don't get me wrong Disney is in no way cheap but so far I've come to the conclusion that traveling is not cheap.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
The constant "falling over themselves" to make sure we a memorable 4 nighter on the Magic in April is all I need to point out as to why a Disney Cruise is slowly becoming better than the parks. Heck, even the fact our housekeeper greeted us by name every time he saw us is a small thing, that never happens at WDW, that made us feel welcomed. I wish they sold annual passes for the cruise line, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

well with the florida resident rates... and low commitments... you have basically the next best thing :) Jumping on the specials DCL offers to FL residents to fill in gaps is the secret.

And yes, the model of having 'your' staff... table, housekeeping, etc all goes a long long way. My Yacht club stay was effectively neutral compared to staying at the Rosen Center for the week prior. Only difference really was the pool...

Animaniac93-98

My Yacht club stay was effectively neutral compared to staying at the Rosen Center for the week prior. Only difference really was the pool...

That's true for all WDW hotels. The difference between room categories is entirely based on built infrastructure and location. Unless you pay extra for Club Level, the actual service and perks (60 days out FP+, package delivery, EMH etc) are the same across the board.

Which makes you wonder why am I paying 2-4x the price to stay at a deluxe vs value or moderate?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That's true for all WDW hotels. The difference between room categories is entirely based on built infrastructure and location. Unless you pay extra for Club Level, the actual service and perks (60 days out FP+, package delivery, EMH etc) are the same across the board.

Which makes you wonder why am I paying 2-4x the price to stay at a deluxe vs value or moderate?
Location. Convenience. Restaurants. Transportation.

Animaniac93-98

Location. Convenience. Restaurants. Transportation.

Like I said: Built infrastructure and location.

And "convenience" is debatable. Yes, it's nice to walk from Boardwalk to Epcot, but it took me an hour one time to take the bus to MK because it stopped at Swan and Dolphin first.

I had a similar experience with Saratoga Springs. Attractive hotel with large rooms easy access to DTD, but the bus situation was a pain.

Last edited:

danyoung56

LOL, I opened this thinking it was going to be written like a Jack Handy piece.

My favorite Jack Handy story -

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. “Oh, no,” I said, “Disneyland burned down.” He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

Mista C

Fantastic report. And sadly, I agree with most of your comments. I too was a child of the 80's and grew up staying at Deluxe resorts because with the Florida Resident discounts back then they were practically giving the rooms away. I'm now 45, make a very good salary, and I could not even think about staying at a Deluxe with how expensive they are.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Fantastic report. And sadly, I agree with most of your comments. I too was a child of the 80's and grew up staying at Deluxe resorts because with the Florida Resident discounts back then they were practically giving the rooms away. I'm now 45, make a very good salary, and I could not even think about staying at a Deluxe with how expensive they are.

Lucky for me... I set a mental limit of $400/night.. and when I decided to do the trip, it was the last day of a promotion where the YC was literally right under that price, so I made it happen. I was really interested in doing Wilderness Lodge... but YC had International Gateway. There was prior stigma about YC being 'second rate Beach club'... but honestly now that it's renovated, I had no qualms about the place for quality, fixtures, etc.

Next time... I doubt I will splurge. It was nice... but not an extra $800 worth nice.

The Empress Lilly

Thank's for the comprehensile report. You've clearly put a lot of thoughts into it, and I appreciate your condor and attention to retail.

It's trip reports like this that have me seriously reconsidering my upcoming September trip. The only thing that has me NOT cancelling it as of right now is the commitment I've made in non-refundable tickets I've already paid for.

I suppose I'll have to "turn off my brain" somewhat sooner in the process than you recommended.
I do that. Just like Flynn, to an extent you simply have to decide to switch your brain off. To the madness, to the prices, to the stress.

Basically I decide to either go or not to go, then I set a rough budget for food and merch and hotel, and then go and turn off my brain to the negatives. I leave the frustration to vent here. (Although at WDW frustration finds you more than you find it, TDO and other guest have infinite creativity in conjuring up new cunning ways of making your time miserable!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom