News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

peter11435

A lot of those additional powers were also delegated by the municipalities. They created two cities so that they could transfer those powers to the District. The new legislation seems to try and disconnect some of that delegation by granting the authority directly to the district and giving it power over the municipalities (which seems to consider cutting off the ability of having assets and authority devolved to the cities before this legislation comes into effects).

Every municipality should be horrified by this bill. It establishes that the state can just create districts that supersede the established local authority. A city can just be consumed by a district and relegated to a rump without any local process.
Exactly. Everyone is caught up with the idea that this is against a corporation but it sets a precedent that can be used against you too. In this case the landowner in a district did something those in power didn’t like. So they seized control of that district, stripped it of its autonomy, and took all rights away from the landowners regarding their representation and governing.

So let’s say the people of a particular city in Florida vote in a direction that the administration disagrees with…. The playbook has already been written and supported.

mf1972

personally, i hope they sue. yes it’ll probably give disney some bad press & maybe some negativity. the way i look at it is if disney doesn’t sue, who or what is to say this won’t happen again to another company/individual(s) either in florida or another state by government officials/legislature. it’s opening a door for setting a dangerous precedent. just my 2 cents.

lazyboy97o

I’ll just say since I assume this will sail through the senate too I’m very intrigued to see what kind of land management, civics, and general local governmental experience these new appointees will have.

Politics aside (since this is dumb policy too): Hopefully there’s some semblance of balance between “serious experience” and the “flash-in-the-pan thorn-in-the-side disrupters”. We know there will be some appointees that fall in the latter camp, for sure, since the Governor needs the headline or all this will have be for naught. But here’s hoping (in the event litigation is unsuccessful) for a functioning governable majority with base level understanding of local governance and advancing the basic needs of the District.

I assume behind the scenes a coalition of business, municipalities, and public safety can successfully lobby the Governor/Administration behind the scenes and propose candidates that are going to be in the spirit of good governance.
The new requirements could disqualify a lot of experienced people, especially those with experience in Central Florida.

Dan Deesnee

personally, i hope they sue. yes it’ll probably give disney some bad press & maybe some negativity. the way i look at it is if disney doesn’t sue, who or what is to say this won’t happen again to another company/individual(s) either in florida or another state by government officials/legislature. it’s opening a door for setting a dangerous precedent. just my 2 cents.

Many, MANY events of the past 8 years have set an incredibly huge amount of bad precedents. This doesn't seem any different than what has come before. Unfortunately, it's the result of a country more divided than it has ever been.

Tom Morrow

personally, i hope they sue. yes it’ll probably give disney some bad press & maybe some negativity.
The only people not on Disney's side on this are anti-lgbt bigots (because that's what this is really about), sooo....

the way i look at it is if disney doesn’t sue, who or what is to say this won’t happen again to another company/individual(s) either in florida or another state by government officials/legislature. it’s opening a door for setting a dangerous precedent. just my 2 cents.

It definitely is a dangerous precedent.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ll just say since I assume this will sail through the senate too I’m very intrigued to see what kind of land management, civics, and general local governmental experience these new appointees will have.

Politics aside (since this is dumb policy too): Hopefully there’s some semblance of balance between “serious experience” and the “flash-in-the-pan thorn-in-the-side disrupters”. We know there will be some appointees that fall in the latter camp, for sure, since the Governor needs the headline or all this will have be for naught. But here’s hoping (in the event litigation is unsuccessful) for a functioning governable majority with base level understanding of local governance and advancing the basic needs of the District.

I assume behind the scenes a coalition of business, municipalities, and public safety can successfully lobby the Governor/Administration behind the scenes and propose candidates that are going to be in the spirit of good governance.
I wouldn’t expect any effort to be made to find anyone with any relevant experience. The whole thing is a sham and the point is to show complete and unrestrained control for one man. Putting a bunch of stooges on the board will be the absolute play. Look no further than every other time he’s taken something over and appointed people. Not a fine track record for concern bout qualifications. Only qualification needed is willingness to kiss the ring.

MR.Dis

It appears this is going to be taken up by the Senate tomorrow. If they approve, it will go to the Gov's desk for signature into law. I bring this up because the bill states the new board can be appointed upon the bill becoming law. That means Disney does Not have the option of taking time to decide what to do. If they want to stop this, they will need to go to court immediately to file a law suite And ask for an injunction to stop while this is being litigated. We will know sooner than later.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The new requirements could disqualify a lot of experienced people, especially those with experience in Central Florida.
I have to admit ignorance that I haven’t read the latest version of this bill nor have I kept up with all the 405 pages of this discussion.

Typically when drafting this type of statuary language that type of experience (I.e. minimum bar threshold for years served, etc) would be a precursor even if the administration is given the ultimate latitude within the mandate to make the selection, but since this is a political exercise I recognize this is an atypical case.

For example I do know amendments to diversify the board experience with a mix of state and local expertise were shot down. But in that case I recall that one amendment allowed the localities to select some of the board members which would have been a nonstarter as it was perceived as being “insufficiently punitive”.

This is all highly unusual and antithesis of good governance.

Cliff

So the proposal easily passed and will be signed by the governor soon. So who benefits from this and who is hurt by this? I’m not talking about hurt “pride” or “ego”. How would this “actually” hurt Disney’s ability to operate their parks and hotels?

rio

So the proposal easily passed and will be signed by the governor soon. So who benefits from this and who is hurt by this? I’m not talking about hurt “pride” or “ego”. How would this “actually” hurt Disney’s ability to operate their parks and hotels?
The governor can appoint board members who oversees Reedy Creek. Disney must work with Reedy Creek when negotiating services, taxes, maintenance, etc.

So Disney pays the taxes to maintain Reedy Creek, but does not have the ability to decide who governs them. Better, those board members only really answer to the governor, not Disney or the other land owners.

That’s a win for the governor

kenny279

The new board could punish Disney by raising taxes, levels of red tape, not approve projects that require approval, appoint hostile to Disney staff to oversee it. Won’t affect day to day operations but can have a significant impact because the board will be loyal to Gov. not anyone who elects them. Not that he current elected board is impartial either.

lazyboy97o

The new board could punish Disney by raising taxes, levels of Ted tape, not approve projects that require approval, appoint hostile to Disney staff to oversee it. Won’t affect day to day operations but can have a significant impact because the board will not loyal to Gov. not anyone who elects them. Not that he current elected board is impartial either.
The board of supervisors absolutely could adopt rules that would impact day-to-day operations.

mmascari

How would this “actually” hurt Disney’s ability to operate their parks and hotels?
I'm sorry, this post doesn't meet the standards required to post on a Disney Board as determined by the governor appointed board. Please update and try again. We'll get around to reviewing changes when we can, we're very busy and understaffed currently. We've got this pothole we're also not fixing, it's not a priority for us either, but it's very distracting to our time as it really messes up the drive in.

If you do not like this decision, please vote for better board members in the future who will do a better job. Psych, you don't get to vote for board members and have no representation in the local controlling government at all.

Something like that comes to mind.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The new board could punish Disney by raising taxes, levels of red tape, not approve projects that require approval, appoint hostile to Disney staff to oversee it. Won’t affect day to day operations but can have a significant impact because the board will not loyal to Gov. not anyone who elects them. Not that he current elected board is impartial either.
I wonder how this will effect road repairs and the ability to get from one place to the other "on property"

mmascari

The new board could punish Disney by raising taxes, levels of red tape, not approve projects that require approval, appoint hostile to Disney staff to oversee it. Won’t affect day to day operations but can have a significant impact because the board will not loyal to Gov. not anyone who elects them.

There's probably nothing that stops the new board from severely reducing staff to eliminate costs. Slow rolling all maintenance, also to reduce costs. Those might even sound reasonable on the surface.

Say they slow roll cannel water management, that then floods a road, so it develops pot holes, then slow walk the repairs. So, instead of some minor issue, it becomes an entire lane of a road shut down for months with construction cones blocking it off. That would create a huge disruption to day to day operations. Because traffic around WDW is already so wonderful.

Further, add in a wink and a nudge that fixing that road could be arranged if Disney would just change some of it's Disney+ content. Remove an episode or a series from the platform. Something that's clearly to woke and should be eliminated.

Not that he current elected board is impartial either.
The current elected board represents it's voters. If they do a poor job, they can be replaced at the next vote. They're not "impartial" in that they represent their voters which is almost entirely Disney.

rio

Say they slow roll cannel water management, that then floods a road, so it develops pot holes, then slow walk the repairs. So, instead of some minor issue, it becomes an entire lane of a road shut down for months with construction cones blocking it off. That would create a huge disruption to day to day operations. Because traffic around WDW is already so wonderful.

Further, add in a wink and a nudge that fixing that road could be arranged if Disney would just change some of it's Disney+ content. Remove an episode or a series from the platform. Something that's clearly to woke and should be eliminated.

The current elected board represents it's voters. If they do a poor job, they can be replaced at the next vote. They're not "impartial" in that they represent their voters which is almost entirely Disney.
I wonder how this will affect bondholders and the credit ratingness of Reedy Creek or other entities in the state. The board can entirely choose to make decisions detrimental to bondholders and the only man who can tell them to stop is the governor.

Dranth

The new board could punish Disney by raising taxes, levels of red tape, not approve projects that require approval, appoint hostile to Disney staff to oversee it. Won’t affect day to day operations but can have a significant impact because the board will be loyal to Gov. not anyone who elects them. Not that he current elected board is impartial either.
Not to mention that the bill seems to want to guarantee that no one who has any idea of what they are doing or has any understanding of the needs of a district like this is able to serve on the board.

lazyboy97o

I wonder how this will affect bondholders and the credit ratingness of Reedy Creek or other entities in the state. The board can entirely choose to make decisions detrimental to bondholders and the only man who can tell them to stop is the governor.
I could see where the increased tax authority decreases the ability for bondholders to make claims. The district could get in the way, but that would really have to happen first. Repealing powers might be argued as harming the original ability of the district to carry out its works as the state originally promised to protect, but again there's probably a need for specific harms and not hypotheticals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom