News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

I’m not saying it’s a law, “they may” do whatever they want, I’m just stating my opinion and from my business experience, If I were running a company of any size, I would stay away from anything unnecessary that could cause any problems with the business, the shareholders, the employees, the customers, and its overall image.
But you keep glossing over the fact that any problems caused by speaking out cannot - per the 1st Amendment - come from any government entity. That's not some minor detail.

JoeCamel

I’m not saying it’s a law, “they may” do whatever they want, I’m just stating my opinion and from my business experience, If I were running a company of any size, I would stay away from anything unnecessary that could cause any problems with the business, the shareholders, the employees, the customers, and its overall image.
That is the crux of the issue. You feel companies should keep their heads down why? For fear of retaliation? From who?
This was decided that companies have the same rights as people to speech and if you want to live in a world where you are afraid to say what you feel for fear of retaliation then this isn't it nor should it be.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
But you keep glossing over the fact that any problems caused by speaking out cannot - per the 1st Amendment - come from any government entity. That's not some minor detail.
I’m not talking about what Florida is trying to do to Reedy Creek. I don’t agree with that, but I also don’t think Disney or any company should risk anything negative to their business, shareholders, image, etc when it’s unnecessary.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That is the crux of the issue. You feel companies should keep their heads down why? For fear of retaliation? From who?
This was decided that companies have the same rights as people to speech and if you want to live in a world where you are afraid to say what you feel for fear of retaliation then this isn't it nor should it be.
Companies can do what they want and have the same rights. I’m not arguing that, but they have to understand negative things can happen when they make a public political stance with the country being so divided regardless of the issue. That’s all I’m saying

Chi84

Premium Member
Companies can do what they want and have the same rights. I’m not arguing that, but they have to understand negative things can happen when they make a public political stance with the country being so divided regardless of the issue. That’s all I’m saying
They do have to understand and accept that bad things can happen in terms of negative public perception and loss of business. I think Disney is well aware of that. But they don’t have to accept the risk of government retaliation - not in this country.

lazyboy97o

You can’t have it both ways. You claim to be against it, but also say it’s fine and deserved. This isn’t just “negative things” like people not going to a movie or cancelling a vacation. Nobody’s buying the double speak.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They do have to understand and accept that bad things can happen in terms of negative public perception and loss of business. I think Disney is well aware of that. But they don’t have to accept the risk of government retaliation - not in this country.
I agree with that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You can’t have it both ways. You claim to be against it, but also say it’s fine and deserved. This isn’t just “negative things” like people not going to a movie or cancelling a vacation. Nobody’s buying the double speak.
Never have I said Florida trying to remove reedy creek from Disney is fine and deserved. Stop making things up just because you don’t agree with me, you’re better than that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I recall, several companies signed what in effect was a meaningless piece of paper. They were virtue signaling.

Disney declined to sign it and instead tried to use their impressive cadre of lobbyists in Florida to effect real change in the Parental Rights In Education Act. Unaware of this back-channel maneuvering, activists threw Disney under the bus, forcing Chapek to issue a very public statement and go on an apology tour. Only after this was Disney singled out.

In the end, it was the one company who tried to do something real that ended up being attacked by both sides.
Yeah, Disney fumbled the delivery for sure, but at the end of the day they took the same position many others did. Nobody had to sign on publicly to oppose anything. They chose to just like Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Every company faces this every day. They all take positions on a large number of issues. Taking those positions may alienate people who oppose the position. Not supporting a position can also alienate people who support the issue. You can’t please everyone. Companies generally have a mission statement and with it a set of core values they supposedly live by which goes beyond just making a profit for shareholders. It’s mostly corporate mumbo jumbo talk and a bunch of buzz words but it still exists. Generally speaking the company should decide what issues to support or not support based on those values.

JohnD

Expect Democrats to offer amendments regarding the board, likely removing the Governor as the appointee of the board. Those will lose by party line vote. But there could be adjustments that are agreeable. First committee stop is tomorrow at 2pm. Will be interesting to watch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Companies should not take a side. Individuals can, but companies should focus on running their business. Companies taking any side publicly will likely cause more issues than it solves with the country and likely some employees, shareholders, and customers divided on various issues.
Corporations are people, my friend.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve said repeatedly that Chapek was an idiot for stepping into the fire but it looks like DeSantis may come out looking just as idiotic for creating this new mess.

A few nobody tweets is nothing. It just shows how eager most are to try to make a devil out of anyone if it means someone will listen to them. The same drone story has been posted 3 times from 3 different sources today. Its attention whoring by those tweeters and the folks feeding on it.

Last edited:

sedati

I gotta admit it’s funny watching the other wolves turn on DeSantis for personal gain just like he turned on Disney for personal gain.

I’ve said repeatedly that Chapek was an idiot for stepping into the fire but it looks like DeSantis may come out looking just as idiotic for creating this new mess.

If this is considered political feel free to delete, I view it more as a lesson to everyone, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.
And if you can’t do it (legally), you really shouldn’t. If Disney proves to be the wronged party, it won’t be DeSantis they sue. It will be the state of Florida who is complicit in all these actions.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

A few nobody tweets is nothing. It just shows how eager most are to try to make a devil out of anyone if it means someone will listen to them. The same drone story has been posted 3 times from 3 different sources today. It’s attention whoring by those tweeters and the folks feeding on it.

Nobody’s or not it was on my Bing homepage when I opened the internet on my iPad, I have no idea who they are but I still read the article and it makes him look bad.

disneylandtour

Companies should not take a side. Individuals can, but companies should focus on running their business. Companies taking any side publicly will likely cause more issues than it solves with the country and likely some employees, shareholders, and customers divided on various issues.
So you also, obviously, are in favor of banning corporate donations to political campaigns???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom