FLE vs. Cars Land...

JoClovesCARS

There is no reason not to build CARS Land in WDW. I think they should rename HS to Pixar Studios. They have the Pixar parade and they are importing all themes from their movies and it is the biggest money maker for Disney now. They are spending all this money in MK and they are building these attractions for little girls and not adding anything but the coaster for younger boys. As I have said over and over and not beat a dead horse but we are DVC members and I have a 6 year old grandson and 3 year old granddaughter and she loves Tink and he loves McQueen, but she loves Mater too. Other than Star Wars and Pirates there is not much that appeals to boys at MK of HS. At least AK does have the dinosaur ride and dig which they both loved, but most of these things are for either girls or boys not one or the other. Another thing about DCA and WDW is the difference in the cost of the tickets. You get to do all the things in one park in CA that you have to do in at least 2 parks here so you have to buy hopper tickets if you want to take advantage of extra hours and you don't have to do that in CA. WDW is a little behind because of the number of parks and add on for tickets, compare and you will see the differece.:wave:

TP2000

Another thing about DCA and WDW is the difference in the cost of the tickets. You get to do all the things in one park in CA that you have to do in at least 2 parks here so you have to buy hopper tickets if you want to take advantage of extra hours and you don't have to do that in CA. WDW is a little behind because of the number of parks and add on for tickets, compare and you will see the differece.:wave:

What an interesting point! The difference in the cost between the two resorts is amazing, especially when you consider the large amount of rides, attractions and major entertainment offered at the two Anaheim parks.

1 Day, 1 Park Ticket
WDW - $87
DLR - $76

1 Day, Park Hopper Ticket
WDW - $145
DLR - $101

4 Day, Park Hopper Ticket (theme parks only)
WDW - $304
DLR - $182

They must be making huge money at Team Disney Orlando! :eek:

Although, a portion of the big price difference for WDW must go to maintaining the buses, boats and monorails that transport all those park hoppers. Whereas at Disneyland, the park hopping just requires a person to walk about 50 yards across the Esplanade between the two parks, with no transportation expenses needed by Disneyland management.

But that big price difference can't be entirely explained by the WDW transportation system, can it? :confused:

JoClovesCARS

I find it hard to believe the maintenance, monorails, buses and boats add that much to the difference in price. Our last trip to WDW in January we stayed at the BLT and only had to walk across the street. I believe the hotel prices on Disney property also help pay for these luxuries as these transportation systems benefit the patrons and you are paying much more to stay there than anywhere else close. Also patrons who rent cars are paying $16 a day to park on property unless you buy a year round ticket or are a resident and purchase both ticket and parking. For a 7 day visit you could pay $112 just for the parking plus the price of a hopper ticket. So if you are not using their transportation there should be a discount and there isn't. Just a thought, although this will not deter me from visiting again next year as we are going 2 times to coincide with the opening of FLE. I also hope to visit DCA to see CARS LAND with my grandson. :wave:

DancingPhoenix

I've never seen Cars, but have wanted to... guess I have a new reason to!

To be honest I am a much bigger fan of WDW, but I have been to both. I don't really get to hear as much about DL, but this has given so much information I had no idea about! Thanks for posting!

Also I hate Tinkerbell... so much. Keep her away from my beloved Princesses. :fork:

Mimi

Carsland is an entire land based on ONE film (well, franchise I suppose). This has major implications for the long-term popularity, viability, and flexibility of the land. To be sure, there are advantages in the short term from a marketing, merchandising, and corporate synergy standpoint. But what about 20 years from now? Will it be popular? Will people still find the theme of "Carsland" compelling? Will all of the Cars characters and locations in Carsland keep the franchise alive, or will they date it horribly and render it stale? How do imagineers update the land and keep it fresh, without fundamentally changing its theme?

What if in 1955 Walt Disney decided to capitalize on the Davy Crockett merchandise craze and create an entire land called "Crockettland", instead of the broader and infinitely more flexible Frontierland?...

Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely fine with basing park attractions on Disney films (though often the best attractions have no movie tie-in). I am very excited for the two new FLE rides, and I think Radiator Springs will be awesome! I just wish it were located in a land that was more encompassing, evocative, and aspirational.

I agree with you completely. I also appreciate the difference between a movie-themed LAND and a movie-themed RIDE. I think your "Crockettland" analogy is perfect.

JoClovesCARS

I agree with you completely. I also appreciate the difference between a movie-themed LAND and a movie-themed RIDE. I think your "Crockettland" analogy is perfect.

While I understand what you are saying I disagree. The entire premise of WDW and DL are based on singular movies. You have Dumbo the ride, but Toontown itself was based on the Mickey Mouse cartoons. CARS Land was built in California because Radiator Springs was on Route 66 which is why they are devoting an entire land to it. Cars the movie was bullt around a town not just the race. Maybe I am biased because I love the entire theme of the movie and the outcome as well as the characters. i think most of the other movie theme rides just had 1 character and that is the difference. CARS is like a family and it has a lot of different parts to it. I would love to see it in WDW at HS and I think it would be an enormouse hit, but that is my opinion and I think many other parents/grandparents of young boys would agree.

ctxak98

Well i personally do not think that carsland is any more innovative then Fantasyland expansion. They are finally taking some of the most classic disney movies out their and making them come to life. Radiator springs racers is pretty much the same thing as test track....I dont see how thats really being innovative, but some will probably say its innovative because they are changing it to the cars theme...woooohoooo. Both are cool in their own way but i personally am more excited for fantasyland expansion.:sohappy:

BigThunderMatt

Also patrons who rent cars are paying $16 a day to park on property

Parking is $14, not $16. It's not even $16 at DLR, it is $15.

unless you buy a year round ticket or are a resident and purchase both ticket and parking.

Only Annual and Premium Annual passes include parking. No other tickets include parking, Florida resident or not, and there are no discounts for parking.

For a 7 day visit you could pay $112 just for the parking plus the price of a hopper ticket. So if you are not using their transportation there should be a discount and there isn't.

The parking pass that you purchase is good all day, at all 4 parks, not just the park you purchase it at. By paying to park you are paying for the luxury of being able to bring your car and come and go on your terms and schedule, not whenever you can catch a bus or a monorail. When you leave the park for the night, you're not waiting in a line to get on a bus. In most cases, MK excluded, you can even walk to your car without waiting for a tram.

In most cases, it is actually more advantageous to pay for parking than it is to use Disney's transportation, so they shouldn't be discounting you at all for not using it. Also, if you're staying on property and ARE renting a car, you get the best of both worlds: a short drive AND free parking.

RSoxNo1

Cars, Incredibles, Bambi, Tron, Pinocchio and a few other Disney movies are available on Blue Ray at bestbuy.com (or in store). The Pixar movies also offer a coupon for $8.50 off of your Cars 2 movie ticket in theaters through disneymovierewards.com

JoClovesCARS

Parking is $14, not $16. It's not even $16 at DLR, it is $15.

Only Annual and Premium Annual passes include parking. No other tickets include parking, Florida resident or not, and there are no discounts for parking.

The parking pass that you purchase is good all day, at all 4 parks, not just the park you purchase it at. By paying to park you are paying for the luxury of being able to bring your car and come and go on your terms and schedule, not whenever you can catch a bus or a monorail. When you leave the park for the night, you're not waiting in a line to get on a bus. In most cases, MK excluded, you can even walk to your car without waiting for a tram.

In most cases, it is actually more advantageous to pay for parking than it is to use Disney's transportation, so they shouldn't be discounting you at all for not using it. Also, if you're staying on property and ARE renting a car, you get the best of both worlds: a short drive AND free parking.

Not to turn this into a debate, but my friend rented a car when we were there in January and she paid $16 so that is where the price came from. I also know that you have the advantage as well of coming and going, but the trans as well as the boat and the buses run like every 15 minutes tops.
Also, it tdepends on where you park in the lot because you have to wait for the tram there to take you to your car or to the park. When we went in 2009 the parking went up and for 7 days that is not cheap to rent a car and pay around $100 for parking as well. I also have family in Orlando who told us they can buy the parking passes with other resident packages for theme parks in Orlando so I can not debate this but only go by what was told. We have DVC membership and we can buy discounted tickets and parking passes for any term tickets and they are discounted, so I do know there are other ways to get parking. i was just pointing out the difference in price between DL and WDW and how much more expensive it is in Florida as opposed to CA and for the same thing.

I think FLE will be nice if you have a young daughter or a granddaughter (which I do have, but she likes Tinkerbell more than the princesses), but FLE does not really include anything for boys nor will the expansion. My grandson is a CARS lover and we bought hopper tickets so he could go to HS to see McQueen whenever he wanted. My opinion is just this, WDW is more geared to girls than boys. You can debate that Pirates and Star Wars are geared toward boys but what if the child is younger (my grandson is 6 and has no interest in Star Wars or the Pirates) and likes Disney Junior and these types of things? There is not a lot in WDW for them except SM, BTM and SM and that is if they are tall enough.

It also doesn't do you any good if the parking pass is good at the other parks if you don't have a hopper ticket or water park add on. I have never tried this so I wouldn't know if it works or not.

I just think when Disney added the Pixar parade to HS it would have been a great fit for them to add CARS Land or a version of it. The ride for CARS with McQueen is similar to Test Track, but the land itself has more rides than just that and it is built around the movie theme. the debate amongst us is just pointless because the powers that be have their own agenda.

TP2000

My opinion is just this, WDW is more geared to girls than boys. You can debate that Pirates and Star Wars are geared toward boys but what if the child is younger (my grandson is 6 and has no interest in Star Wars or the Pirates) and likes Disney Junior and these types of things? There is not a lot in WDW for them except SM, BTM and SM and that is if they are tall enough.

An argument could also be made that Disney Parks as a global whole have been more geared to girls than boys recently. Even at Disneyland, there's not a whole lot different from WDW aimed at boys in recent years, with the exception of Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy at Disneyland and that big new RideMakerz shop in Downtown Disney Anaheim. And Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is surprisingly intense, and probably not appropriate for children under 10 or so.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage that opened in '07 with Pirate's Lair is a bit of a wash (no pun intended) since the submarine ride is cool, but the subject matter is kind of girly with the singing fish and stuff.

Except for those few new things in the last few years, it's been all girly-glitter, all the time at Disneyland just like it's been at WDW.

It continues this year with Little Mermaid opening next month, although you could argue that Star Tours 2.0 and elecTRONica and Goofy's Sky School have a more masculine edge to them. But they can't compare with the big budget animatronic spectacular like Mermaid when it comes to a marketing push.

Not until Cars Land opens will we finally see a big budget (widely rumored to be over 500 Million Dollars!) park expansion aimed squarely at the guys. It should be interesting to see what happens.

There's a famous old saying in Detroit's executive offices; You can sell a woman a man's car, but you can't sell a man a woman's car. The same could probably be said for theme park rides and developments. :lol:

AEfx

so I do know there are other ways to get parking. i was just pointing out the difference in price between DL and WDW and how much more expensive it is in Florida as opposed to CA and for the same thing.

Don't forget that renting a car in CA costs about twice as much as it does in Orlando...for the same brand/rental agency/style of car.

RSoxNo1

Don't forget that renting a car in CA costs about twice as much as it does in Orlando...for the same brand/rental agency/style of car.

I haven't always found that to be true. Typically Dollar or Alamo will have in city specials.

I've had trips where California is less expensive than Florida, however my trip for the D23 Expo is not one of those trips.

AEfx

I haven't always found that to be true. Typically Dollar or Alamo will have in city specials.

I've had trips where California is less expensive than Florida, however my trip for the D23 Expo is not one of those trips.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I was shocked how much more it was - I'll have to dig deeper!

Prototype82

As previous posts have stated: One is too save a park with sloping attendance and one is to enhance a park with the highest attendance. You can't say FLE isn't that big of a deal because of that. It will be marvelous and greatly enhance the guest experience and aesthetic atmosphere of Fantasyland. Will it surpass Harry Potter? ...Doubt it. :ROFLOL: It will be brilliant though. It'll feel more vast and themed than ever. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom