Flash photography + dark rides...

ExtinctJenn

Are they not making it clear enough on Mermaid that flash photography is not allowed? Maybe because it's new? It seems odd that so many folks all agree that it's insane right now and to be very honest, if they don't start making announcements or stopping the ride because of it, it won't ever stop, which means I may have to skip something I've very much been looking forward to. LOL!

case88

I'm hearing the Mermaid ride in FLE is having some issues with flash mongers due to the attraction being so new, and everyone & their brother wanting 100+ pics taken of the ride.

This past Sunday, the people in the clam next to mine must have taken 100+ pictures during Mermaid - and half of them in Ursela's room...very annoying. I would have told them to stop but I suspect they no hable engles...

Oh and on a similar subject - turn the flashing strobe light swords off people!!!! Especially on pirates with 2 kids waving them right in front of you...

wonderbooty911

If your ride was honestly ruined due to flash photography, you can talk to a CM and they will usually allow you to re-ride it. Due to the security cameras, they are aware of it. One picture will not ruin an experience, but when a ton of people are annoyed (like on Soarin') the CMs are aware.

It floors me that someone would even try and take a picture on something like soarin or star tours! I understand dark rides (i am guilty of taking pcitures of my favorite scenes) but thats like going to the movies and taking a picture of the screen. Who does that!?

Goofyernmost

It floors me that someone would even try and take a picture on something like soarin or star tours! I understand dark rides (i am guilty of taking pcitures of my favorite scenes) but thats like going to the movies and taking a picture of the screen. Who does that!?

Answer: People who go to Disney World. I can't tell you how many pictures my mother used to take off the TV. Never came out worth a darn but it never stopped her from trying. :)

VDisneyFan18

Once I was on POTC and the family in front of us were taking a bunch of flash pics. it was extremely annoying so we told the cm at the end of the ride. she told another cm and he took us the back way and we got to ride again flash free!

G00fyDad

Do what I plan on doing from now on. Carry one of these into the park and just before a dark ride fill with a small amount of water. Then, when the moron starts using the flash, ask once for them to stop. If they refuse to stop then squirt the water at them. Its harmless, but they will be very annoyed. When they ask why all you have to say is that if they are going to ruin your experience then you're just sharing the pain. ;)

Spraying-Animals-Water-Squirter.jpg

figment1988

I don't necessarily think it sets off anything but the flash photography does screw up the infrared lighting systems that are used throughout every dark ride to keep an eye on it's passengers. Flashes essentially white out the infrared camera and it can take a few seconds to recover depending on the amount of lighting used in the attraction itself.

not to mention that for some guests who have to adapt to low light levels, getting a flash of light from a camera can really mess their view for a while... sort of like a flashbang grenade which is more emphasized on the flash's intensity.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Do what I plan on doing from now on. Carry one of these into the park and just before a dark ride fill with a small amount of water. Then, when the moron starts using the flash, ask once for them to stop. If they refuse to stop then squirt the water at them. Its harmless, but they will be very annoyed. When they ask why all you have to say is that if they are going to ruin your experience then you're just sharing the pain. ;)

Spraying-Animals-Water-Squirter.jpg
Until you spray Jimmy Thick and get and punched out.

Just saying...

ExtinctJenn

While I got a good laugh out of the squirt idea... let's be careful to assume every flash we see is someone being rude and/or ignoring the rules. It hasn't happened often but on a few occasions I've taken shots on a dark ride thinking my flash was off and it wasn't. Now yes, in those cases you'll see one flash and not another from the ride vehicle the rest of the trip but please let's not go squirting after one flash ok? LOL!

luv

vandalism isn't warranted against rudeness
All I need is one Disney fan on my jury and I won't be convicted. :) "Convicted? No, never convicted." ;)

I'm not actually going to squirt people. Except for the LM, which was new for me, it doesn't but me too much.

I really feel badly for people who will only see Philharmagic once and have to sit next to a 22yo who spends the whole movie texting, though.

G00fyDad

And to those that think that the animal squirters I suggested carry a lot of water... they don't. They hold less water than an uninflated balloon. Just enough to annoy. ;)

I am going to try this method because I have flashed my camera back in their eyes before and realized two things:

A - It doesn't bother them in the least.
and
B - I end up doing the very thing that I am upset with them about to other people.

This way, the water is only going to get on them. It will also dry so there is not ruining of anything. What is going to be a problem is when the *%#@#$& is two or three vehicles away and I cannot safely get them with the water without hitting an innocent bystander. o_O

wdwstateofmind

not to mention that for some guests who have to adapt to low light levels, getting a flash of light from a camera can really mess their view for a while... sort of like a flashbang grenade which is more emphasized on the flash's intensity.
I'm one of them, take a flash picture in a dark ride and I'm seeing spots for the next two hours...I do not hesitate to immediately insist someone put the flash away...

However, once someone told me I wasn't allowed to talk to them like that in front of their kids because I asked them to stop using the flash (literally, "Stop using the flash on dark rides please...")...they proceeded to freak out on me after pooh and then followed us to small world...needless to say the CM supervisor for Fantasyland let me have me few words with the lady as he turned a blind eye and then was very understanding, gladly giving us like a million fast passes....

I hate to stereotype, but it's usually foreigners or that person who came to WDW in sweatpants and really doesn't even care about themselves, little much anyone else...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom