Flamingo Crossing Hotels

the.dreamfinder

I wonder what happens to the CP complex if the College Program isn't coming back for a few years, or at all. HR/Recruiting department has been decimated in the layoffs. Does Disney sell it off as apartments? Or just hold on to it and wait.
That was their plan, but we don’t know what the tourism market is going to look like on the other end of the pandemic. For now, they should renovate the units to house the CMs.

maxairmike

I wonder what happens to the CP complex if the College Program isn't coming back for a few years, or at all. HR/Recruiting department has been decimated in the layoffs. Does Disney sell it off as apartments? Or just hold on to it and wait.

That was their plan, but we don’t know what the tourism market is going to look like on the other end of the pandemic. For now, they should renovate the units to house the CMs.

They'll likely hold on and wait. The way the complexes are laid out (ignoring that these were evidently built more like dorm style, so serious structural/interior renovation would likely be needed), especially the one next to 429, they likely wouldn't be as desirable to sell off to another developer/real estate firm as normal apartments anyway. I think they could be used to alleviate housing concerns/issues in the area for CMs (and still offer transportation to reduce traffic!), but I think the potential PR issue there when the CP eventually returns is something they wouldn't want to deal with (all the "evicting hard working CMs in need to house partying college students for cheap labor" headlines would hang on for a while I expect, at least in local news). It's a tightrope I don't think they would want to walk.

At this point, finish them, maybe use a small part of the capacity/one complex to offer as housing for regular CMs in the meantime, but just hold tight until the CP returns ("cheap" labor, it will return before long).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don’t quite understand why they didn’t just put the parking on the ground floor and put the rest of the building on top. Why waste so much space on blacktop?
Because a parking garage costs 10 to 20 times more per square foot to build and even more to maintain than a parking lot.

The cheap, precast parking garages cost around $60-$80 per square foot. Custom work starts at about $130 per square foot and goes up from there.

On the high end, a parking lot using concrete comes in at $7 per square foot, asphalt is only about $4 per square foot.

You only build a garage when you run out of space.

the.dreamfinder

Because a parking garage costs 10 to 20 times more per square foot to build and even more to maintain than a parking lot.

The cheap, precast parking garages cost around $60-$80 per square foot. Custom work starts at about $130 per square foot and goes up from there.

On the high end, a parking lot using concrete comes in at $7 per square foot, asphalt is only about $4 per square foot.

You only build a garage when you run out of space.
Not a garage, just the ground floor is parking underneath the rest of the building.

castlecake2.0

Vista Way is being used to house returning DCL crew for quarantine at the moment, not sure if that will eventually move over to FC or if they’re keeping vista for now.

JoeCamel

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Forgot they were splitting CP housing across 2 parcels. Now the question is where the small Target is going, or if that got nixed for the one that's near the Vineland outlets. The large building in the lot next to 429 looks like it could be that, but I didn't think it would be "exclusive" for the CPs.

I still believe there's one other residential development back there in the works...oh, yeah, Meritage and Pulte own large lots on the north side of Hartzog just below the Westerly lot. The Pulte lot is a Del Webb 55+ community. I knew there was one getting developed back there, just not apartment style like I thought it was and my location was off because I forgot CP housing was getting split across 2 lots.

EDIT: Also, you can see the start of a new road at the bottom left corner of that last pic, currently cleared almost through to Avalon and looks like it will be 4 lanes with a median. Makes me wonder if they'll turn Flamingo Crossings Blvd. like they did with Reams when that got heavily developed and try to direct the majority of traffic down that new road, or even cut off the N/S stretch of Hartzog completely.

Target is supposed to go here:

1606834601324.png

maxairmike

Anyone know what's happening to the old CP housing when they start making use of Flamingo Crossings?

Likely sold off to another real estate/management company to continue as regular apartments. The old CP housing, except for Vista Way, is already not owned by Disney and hasn't been from the start. Chatham and Commons are currently owned by some shell/RE company with a mailing address in Century City, CA, Patterson with a mailing address in Miami.

Mike730

Likely sold off to another real estate/management company to continue as regular apartments. The old CP housing, except for Vista Way, is already not owned by Disney and hasn't been from the start. Chatham and Commons are currently owned by some shell/RE company with a mailing address in Century City, CA, Patterson with a mailing address in Miami.
Didn't know. Thanks for the info.

castlecake2.0

Still a step up from crew staterooms I would think.
Having lived in both, I’d take CP housing over crew cabin, though crew cabins are quite livable other than smashing my head on the ceiling every morning getting out of my bunk bed lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom