News Fix the Haunted Mansion Intro Timer

JohnD

The cattle shoot after the stretching room is the scariest part of the ride. You're being pushed from both sides and behind, and have no where to advance.

It's been that way since it first opened. However, with the shorter times, people are getting pushed into the room sooner. It's interesting being among the last to leave the stretching room. Because as soon as you do and that panel closes the other stretching room opens almost immediately letting more people out. You can hear the Ghost Host say from the other stretching room as the doors are opening, "Oh I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely. Now, as they say, look alive and we'll continue our little tour."

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It's been that way since it first opened. However, with the shorter times, people are getting pushed into the room sooner. It's interesting being among the last to leave the stretching room. Because as soon as you do and that panel closes the other stretching room opens almost immediately letting more people out. You can hear the Ghost Host say from the other stretching room as the doors are opening, "Oh I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely. Now, as they say, look alive and we'll continue our little tour."

My wife always hates that part of Haunted Mansion - and I'm assuming they can't/won't update that area as it would require a massive ADA re-work?

BasiltheBatLord

Really makes me grateful that these type of problems are absent from DL's original HM. No cheesy queue, the hatbox ghost and the mirror effect at the end isn't a TV screen. Just watch out for the annoying APs that talk over the stretch room audio.
The foyer audio still plays as guests are loaded in at DL (unless it's always been that way?) Tokyo is the only HM in the world where I've consistently heard the full foyer audio every time I've ridden.

JohnD

My wife always hates that part of Haunted Mansion - and I'm assuming they can't/won't update that area as it would require a massive ADA re-work?

Actually from what I've seen, they'll wheel those in a wheelchair into the stretching room to experience that effect. When they exit the stretching room they are directed through a "secret" hallway to the exit of the ride, where the ride is briefly stopped so that they can board an omnimover. Those guests will come around the turn into the main loading area, remain in their seats, and continue into the attraction.

Bocabear

If they held people back...meaning timed the stretching galleries farther apart, the crowd in the inner hallway would be less....though the crowd waiting to get inside would be worse... Only real way to fix it would be to add a longer walking queue...which would require adding an addition. I don't believe the ride was designed to move the stretching galleries quite that quickly... and it really spoils the whole atmospheric setting of the ride. I would personally rather wait a few minutes longer to not have all the crowding...

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Really makes me grateful that these type of problems are absent from DL's original HM. No cheesy queue, the hatbox ghost and the mirror effect at the end isn't a TV screen. Just watch out for the annoying APs that talk over the stretch room audio.

I know people like to crap on Haunted Mansion Holiday but ultimately, I think the refurbishment time pre and post HMH is a major part of the reason as to why our effects are never really broken.

No complaints here :)

LaughingGravy

Just watch out for the annoying APs that talk over the stretch room audio.
I have been lucky in that regard in DL. No bored AP holder ruining it for the rest.
Though one girl ( clearly a regular) positioned herself in the dead center. For the scream, she nailed it live. It was flippin' awesome!! Not early, not late, not extended. Perfect to the audio track, but a real blood curdling scream in the same tone.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I have been lucky in that regard in DL. No bored AP holder ruining it for the rest.
Though one girl ( clearly a regular) positioned herself in the dead center. For the scream, she nailed it live. It was flippin' awesome!! Not early, not late, not extended. Perfect to the audio track, but a real blood curdling scream in the same tone.

I've done that once or twice :D usually it ends up with my family or lady punching me in the side.

BigThunderMatt

Indeed. And it's silly. WDI planned pre-show rooms to hold the correct number of guests to maintain a steady flow onto ride vehicles. Is this simply an issue that the average guest is now larger so they need to cut the pre-show time to ensure steady guest flow?

If they're in a line, they're not spending money. The faster they get on the ride and get out the more time they'll have to spend money. This is what it revolves around entirely. Operations managers are constantly pushed to find ways to improve efficiency and increase Operational Hourly Ride Counts (OHRC) at the expense of literally almost everything else except safety (and even that is questionable with some of the choices they make).

Phil12

They need to eject such people.

tirian

Original Poster
FP+ has nothing to do with it.
The resulting operations snafus have everything to do with how Disney wields FP+ as a way to distribute Guests, yet doesn’t staff attractions to capacity, therefore keeping Guests in queues even on slow days.

The old paper FP distribution, numbers, and data don’t come into play here. I’m not talking about the idea of FP; I’m talking about the Ops cutbacks since FP+ was devised as a way to redistribute crowds without having to invest in new attractions. (And as you can see from the volume of new construction at WDW, the company soon learned NextGen wasn’t the answer.)

But this isn’t the proper thread to discuss the issue, and I’m tired of talking about it anyway.

Missing20K

Survey's determined by cutting back the pre-show, guests have more time to be free, and spend their vacation how they want, to be more family, and more relevant. A more timeless vacation experience. It's just plain more Disney this way.

PettyAdventurousCutworm-size_restricted.gif

ToTBellHop

That was a problem long before fastpass+, reduced capacity on slower days resulting in sometimes longer queue la than on busier days has existed for most of this century and then some.
Actually, FP has created an interesting mess for our Mansion. It “necessitated” construction of the outdoor graveyard Standby queue. Its effects frequently stop the line from moving so CMs are begging guests to hurry into the foyer before the doors close. They don’t hurry, so more FP guests are used. This has allowed Disney to increase FP distribution for the ride while lengthening Standby waits. These interactive queues are a problem that led to the Play Disney app where guests can play while walking. Although some users tripped down the stairs at Space Mountain leading to a disclaimer...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom