News Fix the Haunted Mansion Intro Timer

Magenta Panther

They crank up the speed on the ride as well

For which Uncle Walt would cheerfully kick their butts. Once he went to Disneyland and rode the Jungle Cruise. After he left the ride he chastised the ride operator for making it go too fast. "I don't know if I saw hippos or crocodiles!" he reportedly said. I can imagine how he'd feel about people being shoved past the Mansion's foyer portrait, where the Mansion's story begins, and then crammed into the stretching room like sardines. The sad fact is that TDO has been abusing the Mansion for years. They rush people through unless they have to stop the ride to load or unload people in scooters. The result of that is the creepy narrative is interrupted and destroyed. The last time I was in WDW, I rode the Mansion 4 times, and all 4 times it stopped and then started during the run, during which the narration inside the Doom Buggy and the narration telling guests "mischievous ghosts have temporarily halted the ride" or whatever overlapped. It was a terrible experience. That and the awful claustrophobic overpacked queue has just about made me swear off experiencing the Mansion ever again.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They crank up the speed on the ride as well

It certainly feels that way some time. Carriage is supposed to travel 2 feet a second; little less than 1.4 mph. Not sure if this can be validated with a smartphone app or some other pocket sized device but it'd be an interesting experiment; especially if one could see the speed fluctuate. An omnimover can definitely slow down or crawl but I've seen no-one confirm if it's possible to speed up beyond it's normal pace.

peter11435

It certainly feels that way some time. Carriage is supposed to travel 2 feet a second; little less than 1.4 mph. Not sure if this can be validated with a smartphone app or some other pocket sized device but it'd be an interesting experiment; especially if one could see the speed fluctuate. An omnimover can definitely slow down or crawl but I've seen no-one confirm if it's possible to speed up beyond it's normal pace.
It’s not. They have a standard speed and the option to slow it or stop it. They can not speed it up.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm sure WDI could tweak a governor somewhere, beef up the drivetrain maybe.
WDI could, but a ride operator can't.

Peter's point is that the ride isn't "run at 70% but could be turned up to 100%". It is run at 100%, slowed to ~50% for creep mode, and then brought to 0% when the need arises.

You could speed up anything if you went in and redesigned it to go faster. When the Doombuggys aren't in creep mode they're running at full speed.

Pluto89

Maybe it’s just me but we rode HM last week on 3/7/18 several times and I only noticed one issue and it was in the very first room with the changing portrait just showing the skeleton. Other than that the entire experience was great! Was able to load into the stretching room and the doors closed then the show started no issues at all and as far as the ride itself just a few set props not fully moving and the sound was just a bit to loud in the graveyard, but other than that it seemed to be in good working order to me.

TongaToast21

Maybe it’s just me but we rode HM last week on 3/7/18 several times and I only noticed one issue and it was in the very first room with the changing portrait just showing the skeleton. Other than that the entire experience was great! Was able to load into the stretching room and the doors closed then the show started no issues at all and as far as the ride itself just a few set props not fully moving and the sound was just a bit to loud in the graveyard, but other than that it seemed to be in good working order to me.
agreed on this. Had no issues other than the "Dorian Gray" (as I call it) being stuck on the skeleton.

tirian

Original Poster
agreed on this. Had no issues other than the "Dorian Gray" (as I call it) being stuck on the skeleton.

That’s good to hear, and it’s also the reason we point out issues on these boards. Ideally, Disney’s social media police see the complaints and forward them to be corrected.

KikoKea

Was there in Feb and as we were shuffling along, trying not to step on anyone's heels and hoping no one stepped on ours, I noticed they had a path roped off in the cattle chute area coming from the private passageway on the right (after exiting the stretch room.) Only people I saw using it was a group excorted by a VP cast member. With the second room opening up almost on our heels, the room was packed. Was wondering if the roped off path is still there, or do VIP-ers get on at the exit.

peter11435

Was there in Feb and as we were shuffling along, trying not to step on anyone's heels and hoping no one stepped on ours, I noticed they had a path roped off in the cattle chute area coming from the private passageway on the right (after exiting the stretch room.) Only people I saw using it was a group excorted by a VP cast member. With the second room opening up almost on our heels, the room was packed. Was wondering if the roped off path is still there, or do VIP-ers get on at the exit.

It’s still there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom