Fix or replace the monorail

Goofyernmost

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle here. Yes these are old trains and it is truly amazing they run as well as they do considering just how much use they get. Some of these incidents could easily be chalked up to a one in a million thing because well these trains have made millions of trips. That being said working with these and since riding them regularly I have noticed a gradual consistent decline in maintenance and increase in incidents. There is really no excuse how these trains could be going on 30 years without having a thorough refurbishment. A trip to the paint booth may make them look nice for another few years but even so when you look at them closely you can tell they’re in pretty rough shape.
You could be right, but, I don't have any evidence that there is an increase in incidents. Before the advent of places like here, for example, we never heard about stuff that had no catastrophic results. I have looked at the trains and have been looking at them since they were put on the tracks and frankly, no, other then faded paint I do not see were they are in rough shape. I could be missing something though. They have always gotten me where I wanted to go just as smoothly and quietly as they did the first time I rode them 35 years ago. I cannot be convinced that they have been able to run that long, for that many miles and carried that many people without intense attention to maintenance. I feel that would be physically impossible.

s8film40

You could be right, but, I don't have any evidence that there is an increase in incidents. Before the advent of places like here, for example, we never heard about stuff that had no catastrophic results. I have looked at the trains and have been looking at them since they were put on the tracks and frankly, no, other then faded paint I do not see were they are in rough shape. I could be missing something though. They have always gotten me where I wanted to go just as smoothly and quietly as they did the first time I rode them 35 years ago. I cannot be convinced that they have been able to run that long, for that many miles and carried that many people without intense attention to maintenance. I feel that would be physically impossible.
Yeah exactly it takes a lot just to keep them in running condition. If you ride them and take a close look you can see the wear and tear. Yes there have been many incidents over the years that never made it to public knowledge. The thing is though just because they are running doesn’t mean they aren’t experiencing more problems than in the past. Just because you get on a train and it takes you to your destination doesn’t mean there aren’t a few trains back in the shop that couldn’t run for the day. Again they are certainly in pretty decent shape for their age and the demand that’s put on them. Maintenance it seems more and more lately seems to be playing catch up rather than just going through routine checks and maintenance. Also like I said there’s no denying that a train at 30 years old is due for a thorough refurbishment. It’s time they consider doing that.

Goofyernmost

Yeah exactly it takes a lot just to keep them in running condition. If you ride them and take a close look you can see the wear and tear. Yes there have been many incidents over the years that never made it to public knowledge. The thing is though just because they are running doesn’t mean they aren’t experiencing more problems than in the past. Just because you get on a train and it takes you to your destination doesn’t mean there aren’t a few trains back in the shop that couldn’t run for the day. Again they are certainly in pretty decent shape for their age and the demand that’s put on them. Maintenance it seems more and more lately seems to be playing catch up rather than just going through routine checks and maintenance. Also like I said there’s no denying that a train at 30 years old is due for a thorough refurbishment. It’s time they consider doing that.
Well, that is another point that I believe. No proof, just years of dealing with mechanical things, my guess is that everyone of those trains has been rebuilt at some point in time. No mechanical thing lasts that long without breaking. I'd have to guess that the undercarriage has been rebuilt a number of times and the rest when needed. I can't prove it, it just seems logical to me. Granted they are piece meal, but, they do wear out. The call is to replace them at a cost of billions. My guess is that they will keep rebuilding them for as long as parts are available or they can manufacture themselves.

s8film40

Well, that is another point that I believe. No proof, just years of dealing with mechanical things, my guess is that everyone of those trains has been rebuilt at some point in time. No mechanical thing lasts that long without breaking. I'd have to guess that the undercarriage has been rebuilt a number of times and the rest when needed. I can't prove it, it just seems logical to me. Granted they are piece meal, but, they do wear out. The call is to replace them at a cost of billions. My guess is that they will keep rebuilding them for as long as parts are available or they can manufacture themselves.
The undercarriage hasn’t been replaced at all, but yes everything else gets removed refurbished and put back on. This doesn’t always mean new parts. For example a part may be removed from one train and refurbished to working condition and then be used as a replacement next time that part fails on another train. These parts still have lots of wear and tear when they are put on as a “new part”. Yeah I agree they don’t need to buy new trains. I do think it would be good for them to strip them down rebuild and even redesign the interior and they could probably use new bodies also. They could call them new trains, Mark VIII or whatever. You can only repaint and refurbish something so long before you need to do a more thorough job.

Goofyernmost

The undercarriage hasn’t been replaced at all, but yes everything else gets removed refurbished and put back on. This doesn’t always mean new parts. For example a part may be removed from one train and refurbished to working condition and then be used as a replacement next time that part fails on another train. These parts still have lots of wear and tear when they are put on as a “new part”. Yeah I agree they don’t need to buy new trains. I do think it would be good for them to strip them down rebuild and even redesign the interior and they could probably use new bodies also. They could call them new trains, Mark VIII or whatever. You can only repaint and refurbish something so long before you need to do a more thorough job.
I guess I'll take your word for it, but, if the undercarriage (meaning drive train, suspension, etc.) have never been replaced then please let me know who designed and engineered them. These guys are good. Not only that but they can take old heavily used parts from another train and use them for a long time as well. Wow. Why can't we all get quality like that.

correcaminos

Do you often stay at monorail resorts?

Until I stayed regularly in them in the last decade or so, I didn't realize how bad it was. I don't have a desire to stay at Contemporary/BLT any longer due to being stuck on the resort monorail coming and going multiple times in one trip. It took an hour and a half to get back once.

We enjoy riding the monorail but have had to take a bus more times than I care to count due to monorail issues. I think when you spend more time around them, you see it more. Such a shame because we really do enjoy the monorails.

s8film40

I guess I'll take your word for it, but, if the undercarriage (meaning drive train, suspension, etc.) have never been replaced then please let me know who designed and engineered them. These guys are good. Not only that but they can take old heavily used parts from another train and use them for a long time as well. Wow. Why can't we all get quality like that.
There really isn't very much to the drive train, it's pretty much wheels and motors. Part of the problem with parts is many of the parts are custom parts designed specifically for the train and some that were "off the shelf" 30 years ago are not as readily available. They have a rotation with many of these parts where they take them off then spend the time necessary to rebuild and refurbish them. In some cases new but different parts are available and things have been adapted to make newer parts work, in some small ways over time these have become Frankenstein type trains. Yes these trains were designed and built very well. They were supposed to last a long time and they have. As I said before I totally agree with you that they don't need to be replaced, but I think the time is right for them to take them apart redesign them and rebuild them.

ppete1975

ITs funny they showed a commercial during universals commercial last night for their new fast and furious ride and the monorails were shown several times. In my opinion they have connected monorails and Disney world since the beginning.. with that and the hotel loop I don't see them being removed.
Heres another thing to think about. 10 years ago we wouldn't have footage of the doors not opening we wouldn't have pics of the state of the track, yes I know there were cameras but you couldn't click and instantly load to a website with high traffic. 15 years ago there wasn't even mass message boards (yes I remember bulletin boards in the 80s but as far as for the masses), and yes my years might be off but the point is sound. Some of this has always been around but the increase in availability and social media has brought a lot of this stuff to the forefront. Its like I tell people, if the jfk assassination was to happen today, we would have 300 camera angles and crystal clear footage of it.

POLY LOVER

If you replace the monorail it has to be something very state of the art. The monorail is iconic and makes Disney what it is today. When you first see the monorail it tells you you are somewhere special.

RScottyL

If you replace the monorail it has to be something very state of the art. The monorail is iconic and makes Disney what it is today. When you first see the monorail it tells you you are somewhere special.

Yeah, that would be the only way to do it!

I would go for the same exact look, as the monorail is very futuristic looking, but maybe go MAGLEV!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom