Fix or replace the monorail

msg7

The monorails are just part of the overall maintenance issues. If they were replacing them one at a time over the past ten years it would not be such a capital outlay all at once that seems to be the reason for not doing it. the monorails are iconic symbols of Disney, if management doesn't understand that then they should be replaced! Disney without monorails I can't imagine that. The Orlando airport has built new track and replaced cars so it can be done!
This is a common misconception and understandably so. The Orlando Airport "monorail" is actually an APM (Automated Peoplemover) and runs with rubber tires on a concrete track (not 1 rail.) The WDW monorail is too large of a system to be compared to the APM at the airport.

jloucks

What people agreeing with me that TDO is looking for an excuse to discontinue monorail operations???

The temperarure in hell is dropping and the fabric of space and time is tearing as I write this.

I'm glad i am no longer alone in thinking that Disney believes that cheap airport shuttle buses are more MAGICal (to institutional shareholders) than the WDWMonorail System. Which just happens to be one of my favorite attractions

Since day one of me posting here, I have been critical of the out of place cattle car prison bus system they have going.

Luxury resorts? Check

Premium Parks? Check

Top tier dining? Check

Luxury airport to park transport? Check

Superior quality staff? Check

Premium pricing? Check

Top tier inner parks transport? Ummm,,, no. Oh, and let's go ahead and make the buses inner city style and make the wait times an angst riddled endeavor. Oh, and as a bonus, let's make the experience reminiscent of a cattle car. Yes! That's how we want to roll.

Seriously, the buses seem so out of place in an otherwise high-end vacation destination. Well,, high-end-ish.

jloucks

IMHO.....uh, no...In My wildest Imagination that defines Tangent, ya that's it.
Disney should build a dedicated Mono rail from MCO to a new Guest Relations Center, where you check in for your accommodations. Then by Boat, Gondola, Bus, Monorail, Train, "Minnie"van, Bike, Segway, Pedi-cab, or LPC (Leather Personnel Carriers) you are taken to your hotel.
I'm sure the taxi companies would go all out to prevent this. I wanna say the same thing happened in Vegas with their monorail?

The taxi lobby is pretty strong in any town. Lot's of jobs.

msg7

@Rteetz stated that Disney was looking in to new monorails but nothing further than that. I don't see the monorails going anywhere anytime soon but, another incident like the one with the door and I could very well be proven wrong.

PSM

Few things in Disney World are as iconic as the monorails, IMO. It would be a sad day if they were to be permanently shut down.

I have no idea what it would cost but I'd be more than happy to see major sacrifices to in-park updates, new rides/areas, and other aspects of the World for a few years in order to pay for an update and modernization of the monorail system. I don't even really feel like I'm there on vacation until I see one of them go by. I have such fond memories of waiting in line for them with my brother when were young having competitions to see who could guess which color monorail was going to show up for us and especially fond memories from when we used to be able to ride in the cockpit with the pilots.

meyeet

My suspicion is that a major rehab of the monorails will take place once the Skyliner is up and running to handle a chunk of the transportation during its down-time.
The two don't intersect so I'm not sure how the Skyliner being running would help with the loss of the monorail.

Skipper2

Fix then Replace and Upgrade, there are solutions out there that could be presented to DIS and Bombardier like this one. http : // roamtrans.com/ Supposedly much less than the Multi Million Dollar mile variation of our MKVII. Dont worry about looks as shown a body shell is just that a shell and can be changed to resemble a MKVII. Put this system on top of existing beam-ways and then add more track to the rest of WDW. Don't even know if this company is still in business.

SteveAZee

The two don't intersect so I'm not sure how the Skyliner being running would help with the loss of the monorail.
If the plan is to remove the buses from the routes the Skyliner replaces (which we've been told is the case), they can use those buses to shuttle people either to/from Epcot to TTC (if that line is being worked on) or TTC to/from MK or resorts, if each of those are being worked on.

meyeet

If the plan is to remove the buses from the routes the Skyliner replaces (which we've been told is the case), they can use those buses to shuttle people either to/from Epcot to TTC (if that line is being worked on) or TTC to/from MK or resorts, if each of those are being worked on.
Good point.

Otterhead

Very good point. I don't think the Skyliner will replace the monorail -- it's simply too iconic and too much of the park is built around it -- but it'll go a long way in reducing the load on the buses and boats, freeing up resources for when the monorail gets some much needed rehab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom