First use of MyMagic+ long-range MagicBand capabilities begins tomorrow at all four parks

mm121

The on ride photo stuff was actually pretty cool in November. Being able to order them after the fact was pretty interesting! If I would have known more about it, I would have done that. Plus bought a few more than normal because I hate waiting in lines.
Yea thats been one complaint I always had with ride photos, I didnt' want to decide right that minute, especially if it was a ride that i was planning on riding a few times, would be great to be able to buy the best ones after the trip instead of a just so so one.

Mouse_Trap

There is a reader its just that you don't have to touch the band to it for the RFID tag to be read. Based on reports, the range is about 10 meters.

I'm thinking though, certainly for on-ride photos that the range would have to be adjusted quite a bit lower than that.

At a 10 metre range, on most rides its going to be picking up far more people that just those in your ride vehicle. I don't think the signal is directional is it? Certainly not unless you used shielding to narrow its band.

RSoxNo1

I would expect these to link to your account regardless of whether or not you have a Memory Maker package. I would also expect (based on earlier reports) that more photos will be added throughout the park in the form of additional attractions as well as additional photos on existing attractions.

weatherdude

Really excited to see how/if this works! I purchased MM for our November trip so it'd be great not to go to the picture booth after each ride to have the pictures added to my account. Excited for what's next with MagicBand!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm thinking though, certainly for on-ride photos that the range would have to be adjusted quite a bit lower than that.

At a 10 metre range, on most rides its going to be picking up far more people that just those in your ride vehicle. I don't think the signal is directional is it? Certainly not unless you used shielding to narrow its band.

That's just it. - antennas don't need to be omnidirectional. You can create a setup that only picks things up in a very narrow sweet spot - say... The hill right before the photo, etc

I can see this becoming a way Disney creates sales opportunities after people go home too.

Imagine getting a notice in your mde app after you get home previewing all your ride photo in an attempt to sell you a photo package if you didn't buy one at the park.

They can take everyone's photos and sell them after the fact even if they did not buy memory maker at the start of their trip (for band users)

Victor Kelly

Great maybe now Disney can get photos of me going to the can making funny faces.

So am I right in believing that the photopass is going away and we will need to buy one of their most likely more expensive packages to get photos done? If so they can keep it.

Tigger1988

Great maybe now Disney can get photos of me going to the can making funny faces.

So am I right in believing that the photopass is going away and we will need to buy one of their most likely more expensive packages to get photos done? If so they can keep it.
No.

Why are people seemingly convinced that the pictures being taken will be any different than they previously were? Did you regularly get ride photos in the bathroom stall?

mm121

I'm sure they would lose tons of money if they got rid of photopass, and thats a huge "this is disney thing" dont really know of other parks that have a system as good or better.

Sped2424

Any word when they will start using this with all of those screens they installed? For example Star tours, Brown Derby, Small World, Characters calling you by name, etc etc.

michael.fumc

I'm sure they would lose tons of money if they got rid of photopass, and thats a huge "this is disney thing" dont really know of other parks that have a system as good or better.
I agree Photo Pass is awesome, we did the photo pass plus thing last time that aloud us to get the ride photos with it, even if I had to pay more for the picture cd it is so worth it.

dadddio

I have seen at least one teardown on the web already.
I thought of this thread last night when I came across an instructible where someone had taken apart an oyster card. They removed the RFID chip and antenna and imbedded it in sugru to make a keychain out of it. I wonder how long before someone hacks their MB similarly.

link

dstrawn9889

its one of the things the long range readers can do. Basically think of anything where Disney would want to know who you are without you having to tap the RFID reader. Disney can actually use this in multiple ways, some to provide unique personalized experiences(whatever that may be) or the use some people are more worried about, which is tracking your movements within the park, to either profile you personally for more CRM opportunities, or for metadata type analysis on things like traffic patterns etc.

And by tracking I mean gathering your ID as you walk past readers in the park. The RFID chips do not provide an actual way to track you unless you walk by the reader.And even then all they get is that your magic band walked by a certain spot at a certain time.
and make sure you scanned in for the day at the park, instead of bypassing the entrance or pulling a quick one at the turnstiles. (basically as a backcheck to the entrance system. (well he is on POTC, he must be in the park today....)

roodlesnouter

Sounds pretty cool to me, I like the idea that your photos uploading to MM+. For those worried about the photos not working, will they not be uploaded straight to your account therefore you can check on a tablet, smart phone as soon as you get off the ride or photo op?

I have been involved in photopass shares in the past where many people load onto one account, I was in a large share one year and my photopass cost me less than $10, I guess this system will put a stop to this thus making money back from day one.

This is just the start, the options available for this system are huge. Will be interesting to see what else rolls out in the future.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Didn't know about the testing in November. Went to the Photopass site to check a picture and the ride pics were there. Very slick.

Exactly what happened with me. I was pretty excited when I opened it up and saw there were ride photos on there! Totally surprised me!

Sassagoula-Rvr

If Disney wants to know where I am on their property...more power to them...all I ask is they throw me some bones...

"Disney MyMagic+ has detected you are near Aloha Isle...stop in for 50% off of a refreshing Dole Whip!":geek:

(Not that I need an excuse to stop...but I mean...discounted Dole Whips? Can't let that go to waste! And wasn't this sort of thing one of the long range goals of MM+ with traffic management fastpasses etc?)

MarkTwain

I sold ride photos while this was being implemented and ONE issue we had with this that I would advise everyone to look out for: censored photos. Many guests walked off the ride confident their ride photo would sync up (and I must say it's pretty reliable)... but if someone in your car is giving the finger, doing the "V" tongue gesture, lifting a shirt (male OR female), or any number of other things that made us block maybe every 1 in 20 photos, then you won't get that picture. At the time, you received no notification that your photo was blocked unless you went to the counter, although that may have changed (a texting service would certainly be cool). I would still advise everyone to check that the photo was successful just in case.

Last edited:

BadTigger

So once again everyone complaining about WDW knowing where they are based off and MB must not have cellphones since those can track your movements much better via their GPS radio. This is a neat feature and I look forward to others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom