First use of MyMagic+ long-range MagicBand capabilities begins tomorrow at all four parks

NormC

no the MB has 2 chips, one is a short range chip which uses the reader to generate the power to send its info, this is the one that is used by the park gates, FP+ and hotel rooms. It has a second chip that is powered by a small battery that emits a signal that can be read by readers placed up to 10 meters away. The close range chip will basically last forever(theoretically). the long range chip will cease transmitting after about 1.5 years.
There are actually 3. One powered transmitter type and two passive types with different frequencies.

Last edited:

Violiav

It would be really good for use if a child was lost! Log into your MM+ MDE on your phone and see where your party or child is on the map.

That's actually what my boyfriend and I were thinking it has the potential to do. A couple of our kids have wander/doesn't listen- and we were thinking it'd be an amazing tool. They're older not, so it's not such a big deal. Granted there are worse places to be lost in than WDW.

arko

I think it means that they couldn't bring in their 1996 length of stay mug and just refill it for free, for whatever number of years they decided to do it. Now they have to buy a new one to get the drinks. So sad!

yeah that's where I was going with the question

Ray B

I would either take a picture of my ride photo with the number or write down the ride and ride number. No way I would chance it that they system would work properly until I saw it working for a while.

PrincessNelly_NJ

no the MB has 2 chips, one is a short range chip which uses the reader to generate the power to send its info, this is the one that is used by the park gates, FP+ and hotel rooms. It has a second chip that is powered by a small battery that emits a signal that can be read by readers placed up to 10 meters away. The close range chip will basically last forever(theoretically). the long range chip will cease transmitting after about 1.5 years.
exactly. That is what I said... That long range capabilities would not require an RFID reader.

dadddio

Long range would mean without RFID readers completely. right? I would think it would track the bands on specific train cars and once you exit, that information would link to your Memory Maker.
I assume that they read your band as you get on the ride vehicle rather than actually track you while the ride is in motion.

LucyK

Do you need a FP+ for the linking to happen? I'm falling to see how they're going to determine if I was inside the ride to link my particular photo to my MB.

arko

Do you need a FP+ for the linking to happen? I'm falling to see how they're going to determine if I was inside the ride to link my particular photo to my MB.

when you get on the ride at some point you will pass by a long range RFID reader that will identify your MB code and tie it to the car you are in at that moment. That is the beauty of the long range readers, there is no requirement for you to do anything.

NormC

yeah but Ifixit does proper teardowns with parts detailed and an estimated cost
Yes they do. Cool site. I love their teardowns. The passive RFID tags are little more than inductive coils (antenna if you will) with a very small chip that would be easily missed or damaged in most teardowns. The battery and larger chips in the band are for the powered radio.

arko

Yes they do. Cool site. I love their teardowns. The passive RFID tags are little more than inductive coils (antenna if you will) with a very small chip that would be easily missed or damaged in most teardowns. The battery and larger chips in the band are for the powered radio.

yeah we use them here for sample tracking (womens clothing retailer), person walks by a reader with a rack of clothes and everything on the rack get read all using passive tags. Even passive tags don't require contact to work, it all depends on the power of your readers. I am guessing Disney went for near contact to avoid crosstalk and having the reader read 2 bands the because the guy right behind you got too close

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom