First trip to WDW have many questions

knudsos

This is our first trip to WDW and are planning to go in Sept 07. My husband and I are going with our 5 yr old daughter and are thinking about staying at the Coronado Springs for a week. Is there a better time to go during the week? I am probably going to sign up for the dining plan. What is the 20% discount that I have been reading about for? It is better to book through Disney or Travel agent? I am trying to find as many ways to save money as possible. Do they have insurance that if something happened that if I needed to cancel the trip I could? Is this 20% discount better than the dining plan. There are so many options that you can do, it is overwhelming sometimes. Also, at Coronado Springs is the water View rooms worth the extra money?

Any comments or suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This is our first trip to WDW and are planning to go in Sept 07. My husband and I are going with our 5 yr old daughter and are thinking about staying at the Coronado Springs for a week. Is there a better time to go during the week? I am probably going to sign up for the dining plan. What is the 20% discount that I have been reading about for? It is better to book through Disney or Travel agent? I am trying to find as many ways to save money as possible. Do they have insurance that if something happened that if I needed to cancel the trip I could? Is this 20% discount better than the dining plan. There are so many options that you can do, it is overwhelming sometimes. Also, at Coronado Springs is the water View rooms worth the extra money?

Any comments or suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

The 20% off is the Disney Dining Experience card and is only available to Florida residents or Annual Pass holders. If you're eligible, the consensus seems to be it's a bit better deal than the Dining plan.

As a first-timer, it might be better to book through a Disney-specialized Travel Agent like Kingdom Konsultants [a sponsor of this site], they can probably help with a lot of your questions. Booking through Disney costs the same as through an agent, but the agents tend to be more helpful if you don't know what you want.

A Disney trip is a fairly expensive proposition, even if you do it "on the cheap", but there are ways you can save. Part of what you'll need to decide is whether to stay on-site or off-site. Off-site can be done for less money, but there are considerable discussions as to whether it's better. I personally prefer on-site, the main advantage is being wrapped in all things Disney for the duration. I'll be staying off-site for the first time this February, but my in-laws are staying in Davenport for four months and offered free accommodations while we're there - I'm not quite Disney gung-ho enough to turn down free! :D

If you only intend to go to WDW while you're in Florida, then I'd recommend on-site. No need to rent a car, no parking and no worries. Value resort accommodations are a good deal [not as cheap as off-site, but there are other considerations].

Give one of the reps at Kingdom Konsultants a call and let them help you through the maze... I've been dealing with Marie [wannabebelle on the forums] and she's been very patient with me :eek:, but all of them have good reputations around here.

Good luck and enjoy your first trip! If you're anything like most of the rest of us, it won't be your last :lol:

Upvote 0

hrmom26

hi congrats on going to disney. i think you could find allot of money saving tips on ( www. mousesavers.com ). also try www. allearsnet.com for the answer to some of your other questions. i will try to answer some of your question though
1) as for the best time of week i think at disney its always a good time but if you are flying to disney tuesday or wednesday is usually cheaper. i always go wed. to wed.
2)there is insurance you can buy threw disney travel.
3) i think there are restrictions to who can use the 20% thing.
4)and as for is the colorado resort worth the money that is a personal thing i always stay at value resorts they are real nice also and i don't spend a whole lot of time in the room it self so it just doesn't seem worth it to me to pay more for it.
have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

goofyfamily

Hi I hope I can offer a few tips from experience. We are also planning on going Sept again, this will be our fifth trip. First take into consideration that the Coronado has a conference center and is pretty spread out like all moderates, since you have a little one it makes for a lot of extra walking at the end of the day. We have done the moderates but prefer the values for the little ones. Also consider getting the dinning for the extra money it is well worth it you can do alot more especially things like character meals . Also remember it is still very hot in Sept we always go the last week or first week of October and it is usually 90 ish. No jeans or Sweatshirts unless like us you need a light jacket for coming home since we live up North. We have never had any trouble with the busing at Disney even the values we have stayed atPop the first year they opened and because we have 2 boys we stayed at Sports also. To us they are all nice just pick one with the theme you like. If you prefer a Moderate you might want to reconsider to Port Orleans they have a boat which you can hop on and go to Downtown Disney right there we have stayed there before but remember the grounds are spread out and even to get to the buses is far, and another thing the buses still make multiple stops at the moderate because there are so much more spread out building.Well good luck and remember to try not to do it all at once. We never rush there we sleep in and go at a pace which everyone is comfortable there is always another year to go back if you dont get everything in.

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

You've already gotten some very good advice. My advice to you is to read everything about WDW that you can before you go. This great site, allearsnet.com, wdwinfo.com, Birnbaum's official WDW guide book, just to name a few. I've always heard, that the more homework you do now, the more fun you'll have later. Anything else, please let us know.

Upvote 0

coltow

I think your 5 yo might enjoy the All Star Resorts a little better. They're very kid-friendly and the pools are great. The drawback for CS is that it is VERY spread out and if you're not close to the lobby area, any time you want food or drink could become a very LONG walk when you're already tired and hungry. The pool is amazing though. Seeing as you said it's your first time, chances are you won't be spending alot of time in your room so I'd stay at a value and save the money for dining or souveniers.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

If you stay on-site, I highly recommend getting a AAA card and booking though Disney. I saved 15% off my room alone at the Port Orleans Riverside.

Coronado Springs is a nice resort, but it is also a convention centre. If you are looking at a moderate resort, Riverside is the way to go. My own 5 year old adores this resort (bike rentals, including safety wheels, a marina with peddle boats, free catch and release fishing, and, of course, Ol' Man Island with playgound, kiddie pool, wading pool, splash fountains, waterslide, etc.)

Congrats on your first trip!

Upvote 0

Ella's Mommy

If your willing to wait on planning the trip I'm sure they will be running the free dining plan again this year. We did it last year and we stayed the week after labor day. We didnt wait in ANY lines at the park and its a good feeling to know that you are eatting for free. I booked last May and we stayed a WL. It is still alittle hot but its worth it.

Upvote 0

justducky78

Coronado Springs seems to be a nice moderate resort - although I've only visited it, never stayed there. The only negative I've heard about it is
sounds like there is a lot of conventions there.

If you plan on staying longer than 8+ days, the annual pass (only one person needs to purchase it to get the benefits) is a great deal, because it gives you discounts on rooms and then you can purchase the Disney Dining card and get a 20% discount on food/dining, as well as discounts (15%) on water rentals, spa services, some merchandise, etc. Or, you can all purchase the AP pass and go twice in one year!

The Dining plan sounds like a great option, too, depending on your family. It sounds like you get A LOT of food on the plan, which could be a good thing or a bad thing! Also - I believe you need to book all dinner reservations way in advance, which might be annoying for you if you like to do things more spur of the moment, like us. We usually decide on dining the day before or the day of and never have a problem, but there's just two of us...

Like others have suggested, a travel agent (Kingdom Konsultants) or others should be able to help you make a good decision. :wave:

Upvote 0

PotteryGal

We did our first trip to WDW about one month ago, and already are tentatively planning a return spring 2008. We booked through our local AAA, and I believe they had discounts on room rates, although I can't recall what they were. They automatically included trip insurance in our package. We also paid for the dining plan. There are pros and cons to the plan IMO. The biggest advantage is that it makes the table service options MUCH more affordable - an example for us: we booked dinner at 1900 Park Fare, and had we paid out of pocket, the total for that meal alone was $91! So, you need to decide, based on your own family's eating habits, whether you want to take time every day for a sit down meal, our just hit the counter service meals and keep going.
As far as resorts go, we're thinking of trying Port Orleans Riverside next time although we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge this time and loved it's proximity to MK. We just can't afford a deluxe resort all the time :rolleyes: . All of the moderates look really nice; just take into consideration how easy it would be to take a mid-day break from the parks and what kind of transportation you would be relying on. Believe me, those breaks are essential.
Have fun planning, and enjoy Disney! It is a truly amazing experience! :wave:

Upvote 0

wdwsog

You are going to have such a great time...just know that you will not have time to see everything so don't try. Realx and enjoy what you do see and don't worry about what you can't see. Make a list of must do things after you do your research and then make a plan, but don't be so attached to it that you can't have fun. Dining may be the only issue with this as it is becoming very hard to dine in a sit down restaurant at a decent time, but you can still get lucky.

Upvote 0

yazmin182

Everyone has given great suggestions. I also agree that you should go with the Value Resorts. Pop Century is my favorite and I'm sure everyone will love it. Make sure you check out the photo tour disney has on their website for each resort. Those are great to get a good feeling about each resorts and see the different pools. The value resorts have a great selection of pools that i'm sure your daughter will enjoy! Here's a link with all the value resorts, click on "Take a virtual tour" to check out the pictures:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...BenefitOSOPValueResortAmenitiesComparisonPage

Also, I think the best thing we did when we went is stayed on property.
They pick you up from the airport, there's transportation to all the parks from the resorts and you're immersed in Disney Magic with nothing to worry about! It's fantastic.

I also purchased insurance through disney. It is $60 per person which is a bit pricey, but it was worth it because I also booked the plane tickets through Disney. If you book the plane tickets along with your reservation, insurance covers your plane tickets too! Considering we went in August and everyone said there is a chance of hurricanes and storms, this was a relief that we can reschedule our trip and our plane tickets too. When I went with my parents (another trip in January), we just got insurance from CAA (Canadian AAA) and it was about 34 bucks for all 3 of us!

Another helpful website is www.touringplans.com. This website tells you how crowded each park will be each day. It's not a guarantee but it's usually right, and I planned our whole trip around it.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Yaz

Upvote 0

saltmom1

allearsnet.net has videos of all the resorts online. You can see which one you like. POFQ is small but shares a bus with POR, picking up at POFQ first. We love Caribbean Beach, but it is very spread out. If you request Jamaica or Aruba you are not very far from the food court or the main pool. You can see a map of the resort on allears, too. You can request an area of the resort, request a first floor etc but be general in your request and you are more lkely to get what you want. Close to the bus stop, for example, instead of Room 434. With a 5 year old you are going to need to pace yourself. Relax and enjoy. The Unofficial Guide is a huge help too. You can buy it in any bookstore. Also I've heard that the Passporter is a great book. Do a lot of research and you'll have a great time. For me, doing the research is part of the fun of planning the trip.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

Wow! Planning your first trip to WDW....how exciting! I know your family will have a great time. :wave:

Great suggestions from everyone....I also recommend using Kingdom Konsultants....they will help your through the maze of questions and will continue to do so even after you book. And, if a discount pops up after you book, they will automatically see if you are eligible for it and have it applied it it is available for you.

Best advice: You can't see and do it all....don't try. Pick out a few "must-do's" for each park or day and then go from there. With a little one, rest breaks are a must. After a morning at the parks, go back to resort for a swim, nap etc. Let your little one dictate how much you can do. Pushing everyone until they are tired and cranky is a bad way to vactation. If you need a break....take it!

Is your little one a better eater for breakfast/lunch/or dinner? Our little one is bad for dinners, he gets tired etc even after rests, so we book bigger meals/character meals for breakfast (or lunch if available). Or, maybe your little one is a zombie in the AM but full of energy in the evening...character dinners may be the way to go for you.

Also recommend the other mentioned sites, especially allearsnet.com....they have info and pictures on things Disney....updated menus, resorts pics etc.

Most of all....have fun....., enjoy the Magic. I am sure it will not be your last trip to Disney!

PS Another vote for AllStars....kids just love the themeing...pools are great, food courts have many choices.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Don't pay for water view!!!

At all 4 moderate resorts (Coronado Springs Resort, Caribbean Beach Resort, Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter), your door and window open up to the exterior corridor. That is, your door and window are on the same wall.

As a result, I find spending an extra $15 or $20 per night to be a waste of my money. Remember, in between your window and the stuff you are viewing is the exterior corridor. So if you have your curtains wide open to enjoy the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of ... YOU!

Don't forget that as a Disney resort guest you are entitled to free bus transportation to and from the airport, as well as free automatic luggage delivery from the airport to the inside of your resort room. This service is called Disney's Magical Express. It's a shared ride with others on a plush motorcoach. The reported average time from landing to resort drop-off is 70 minutes, which is comparable to the amount of time it would take if you paid for a car service. To me, the best thing about DME is the luggage service. You put special tags on at home, and then you won't see your bags again until they're in your room a few hours after you land. You get to totally skip baggage claim at the airport! PLEASE ... Don't get confused when you start seeing the term "participating airline." This has to do ONLY with the way back to the airport, and then only has to do with luggage handling on the way back to the airport. Upon arrival in Orlando, EVERYONE is entitled to the ride AND the luggage delivery.

The dining plan ....
Do you plan to eat at least one meal per day at a table-service restaurant (either buffet or waitress service)? If you do, then the Disney Dining Plan will be a good deal for you. However, if you're like my family, if you just plan on getting counter-service meals most of the time, then the Dining Plan is a very bad deal, financially. We personally don't like table-service meals because they slow us down and our kids would probably just eat the same type of stuff we'd get at counter-service, anyway. We've become counter-service connoisseurs -- we know where to find good salads and yummy healthier fare beyond burgers and chicken fingers. Getting just one or two table-service meals in a week (character meals) wouldn't get us our money's worth on the Dining Plan, so it's much cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for everything.

You can really go nuts (in a good way!) looking over all of the restaurant menus at www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

As others have suggested, go and do your homework! It made my first trip so great. I'm not a big planner (I don't plan every move of every day), but I'm big into gathering as much info as I can so I can be very well-informed.

ENJOY!

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: Hi. I wouldnt suggest Coronado springs for a 5 y.o. something like POP century would be a lot better and way more fun for her. we are adults and we LOVE staying there. look at all the websites, like everyone else said, and then choose. You will have a ball, I guarantee! be sure to book some character dinners for the child at least 180 days in advance. have a magical trip at the world.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom