First Trip as a Couple

GJM724

Hi Everyone,

I am super excited to take my wife to WDW this May 1st-9th. This is the first time we are both going together. I have been to WDW over ten times and she hasn't been since she was a child. We are really excited to take this trip as it will probably be our last one together before we start a family. We have been going back and forth on where to stay. Currently we have had a reservation at the Port Orleans Riverside, but it has been my dream to stay at the Poly. Is the Poly worth it for the additional expense? We plan on doing some nice dinners at Epcot and other places around WDW as well as the Parks. She also wants a nice place to sit by the pool in the afternoons some days. Looking for some input!

Thanks!

I love the Poly but it is very expensive. Would you consider doing a split stay? We did this on our 10-year anniversary trip. We did half of the trip at POFQ and half at The Poly. It was amazing. I loved POFQ for the boat access to Disney Springs which has a great nightlife for couples and did more pool lounging when I was at the Poly.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Thanks that is the theory that my wife has as well. Any other extras you can suggest as a couple? Not really into the Spa thing but we are thinking of doing the Spirit of Aloha show.
The Hoop De Doo show IMHO is a better event, weve done Spirt of Aloha and werent as happy with the show or meal. Go see Yee Haa Bob in the evening at POR lounge ( free entertainment) . Keys to the Kingdom tour is also interesting if you want to take the time out of your day to do it. Theres many options available to you, it all depends on how much you have to spend and the time you devote to doing the extras.

Upvote 0
The Hoop De Doo show IMHO is a better event, weve done Spirt of Aloha and werent as happy with the show or meal. Go see Yee Haa Bob in the evening at POR lounge ( free entertainment) . Keys to the Kingdom tour is also interesting if you want to take the time out of your day to do it. Theres many options available to you, it all depends on how much you have to spend and the time you devote to doing the extras.
Agree with Hoop Dee doo being much better than Spirit of ALoha!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
I love the Poly but it is very expensive. Would you consider doing a split stay? We did this on our 10-year anniversary trip. We did half of the trip at POFQ and half at The Poly. It was amazing. I loved POFQ for the boat access to Disney Springs which has a great nightlife for couples and did more pool lounging when I was at the Poly.

So the trips that we have taken so far have been expensive. We stayed at secrets at Montego Bay and did Sandals in St. Lucia for our honeymoon a few years ago with a Butler. The cost is going to approach the trip to St. Lucia since we plan on doing the deluxe dining plan. I am hoping that there is a sale at some point for our dates before the trip to help make the cost a little more palatable. The split trip does sound interesting. Will that mess up our reservations etc at restaurants and fast passes?

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As long as you're there, seriously consider doing one of the DVC presentations. You may just find yourself inclined to buy DVC once you hear how it works...

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
As long as you're there, seriously consider doing one of the DVC presentations. You may just find yourself inclined to buy DVC once you hear how it works...

Do we get anything from sitting in one of the DVC presentations? We have sat through time share presentaions before for a free cruise and thought it was a waste of time and it was a ton of exlusions.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do we get anything from sitting in one of the DVC presentations? We have sat through time share presentaions before for a free cruise and thought it was a waste of time and it was a ton of exlusions.
Good question. My DS did one two weeks ago, and received a considerable gift card and 3 FastPasses good for any attraction that still had FPs.

Upvote 0

LeighM

My husband and I love staying at Riverside - it's where we actually stayed for our honeymoon. It's really relaxing and a great way to unwind from the parks. And we enjoy watching Yeeha Bob perform at their lounge. As much as I would love to stay at the Poly (and my husband at the Grand Floridian), we just aren't comfortable spending that much on a resort where we won't be spending much time. We are usually in the parks at morning rope drop, go back to the resort in the early afternoon, and go back in the evening and stay late. It's just not worth it for us. We would rather spend that money on dining experiences, behind the scenes tours, and merchandise. So in order to get our Poly and GF fix, we have dinner at Ohana one night of our trip and then walk to the GF and sit in the lobby and listen to the band. That will have to do for us for now LOL.

Upvote 0
So the trips that we have taken so far have been expensive. We stayed at secrets at Montego Bay and did Sandals in St. Lucia for our honeymoon a few years ago with a Butler. The cost is going to approach the trip to St. Lucia since we plan on doing the deluxe dining plan. I am hoping that there is a sale at some point for our dates before the trip to help make the cost a little more palatable. The split trip does sound interesting. Will that mess up our reservations etc at restaurants and fast passes?
If you can afford it I would do the Poly the whole time. If you are interested in the split trip Disney makes it very easy. Book your tickets, FP+ and ADR on the first reservation so you can book everything in advance.
When I did the split trip I had booked a 4-night stay at POFQ with a 7-day ticket. Then the morning of check out I called the bell boy to pick up and transfer my luggage to the Polynesian resort, went to the park and later that day went to the Poly to check in. Everything was on our magic band so they just had to add my room key to the band. It didn't affect anything else.

By the way, I would not bother with the deluxe dining plan. It is just too much food and it doesn't cover tip or alcohol. You'll spend less if you pay out of pocket and that way it will give you a lot more freedom on what you can order, and where you can dine. Sometimes I just couldn't eat a full meal for dinner after a big sit down breakfast and sit down lunch. I just ordered a few appetizers and a drink. Often I couldn't even eat the dessert offered and ended up wasting credits.

When we did the Delux plan we ended up regretting it and had to use up our credits to buy snacks to bring back home with us. It was a waste. I suggest using that money instead on a room with a better view. If Disney is offering free dining then just do the regular dining plan. It is plenty of food and you can pay extra for those nicer restaurants. Sometimes a quick serve meal is just more convenient or snacking around the world showcase in Epcot is a much better idea. Even with all the deluxe restaurants, we visited we just found it was excessive.

I booked my last two trips to WDW with Magical Vacation Travel and got an amazing deal for the Poly both times. You might want to check them out. I don't work for them or anything so I'm not getting anything from this.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
If you can afford it I would do the Poly the whole time. If you are interested in the split trip Disney makes it very easy. Book your tickets, FP+ and ADR on the first reservation so you can book everything in advance.
When I did the split trip I had booked a 4-night stay at POFQ with a 7-day ticket. Then the morning of check out I called the bell boy to pick up and transfer my luggage to the Polynesian resort, went to the park and later that day went to the Poly to check in. Everything was on our magic band so they just had to add my room key to the band. It didn't affect anything else.

By the way, I would not bother with the deluxe dining plan. It is just too much food and it doesn't cover tip or alcohol. You'll spend less if you pay out of pocket and that way it will give you a lot more freedom on what you can order, and where you can dine. Sometimes I just couldn't eat a full meal for dinner after a big sit down breakfast and sit down lunch. I just ordered a few appetizers and a drink. Often I couldn't even eat the dessert offered and ended up wasting credits.

When we did the Delux plan we ended up regretting it and had to use up our credits to buy snacks to bring back home with us. It was a waste. I suggest using that money instead on a room with a better view. If Disney is offering free dining then just do the regular dining plan. It is plenty of food and you can pay extra for those nicer restaurants. Sometimes a quick serve meal is just more convenient or snacking around the world showcase in Epcot is a much better idea. Even with all the deluxe restaurants, we visited we just found it was excessive.

I booked my last two trips to WDW with Magical Vacation Travel and got an amazing deal for the Poly both times. You might want to check them out. I don't work for them or anything so I'm not getting anything from this.

I am thinking if I get rid of the Deluxe Dining Plan it might be a little more palatable even though it does come with an alcoholic drink now for dinners. Also if we get 10% off meals with our Disney Visa it might be better to pay out of pocket with it.

Thanks,
Greg

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster

So I just got a quote from Magical Vacation Travel, and is their a reason why the price I got them is about $1,000 lower than what I have been getting from other places? I thought all of the places should be getting the same quote.

Upvote 0

LeighM

So I just got a quote from Magical Vacation Travel, and is their a reason why the price I got them is about $1,000 lower than what I have been getting from other places? I thought all of the places should be getting the same quote.

They book a group of rooms, like a convention, in which they promise Disney they will sell a certain number of rooms for at least one night, which allows them to offer discounted room rates. And because it's booked like a convention with a select number of rooms, they offer a slightly discounted convention ticket. I have a really hard time explaining how it all works.

Upvote 0

PatsGirl12

Hi Everyone,

I am super excited to take my wife to WDW this May 1st-9th. This is the first time we are both going together. I have been to WDW over ten times and she hasn't been since she was a child. We are really excited to take this trip as it will probably be our last one together before we start a family. We have been going back and forth on where to stay. Currently we have had a reservation at the Port Orleans Riverside, but it has been my dream to stay at the Poly. Is the Poly worth it for the additional expense? We plan on doing some nice dinners at Epcot and other places around WDW as well as the Parks. She also wants a nice place to sit by the pool in the afternoons some days. Looking for some input!

Thanks!

We just stayed at the Poly in September and we loved it. Theming, Ohana, the smell when you walk in...etc. We got a really really good deal, and to us it was worth it. Fireworks on beach or putting green are so beautiful. Having said that, being on the monorail loop was nice, but ONLY when it wasn’t down. Which was about half the time. It is a pain to try and get to MK when monorails are down, as there is no direct bus to and from.
As far as restaurants are concerned, I would recommend Ohana, at the Poly, Boma, at AKL, and Cape May, at BC.

Upvote 0
They book a group of rooms, like a convention, in which they promise Disney they will sell a certain number of rooms for at least one night, which allows them to offer discounted room rates. And because it's booked like a convention with a select number of rooms, they offer a slightly discounted convention ticket. I have a really hard time explaining how it all works.
Yup that sums it up!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
So I jumped off the ledge and booked our stay at the Poly for the 9 days with the standard dining plan. Got a great deal through Magical Vacation. One question I have for those who have booked with them: Apparently this package doesn't get the Disney special financing with the Disney Visa card. Is that true? Anyone else experience the same thing?

Upvote 0

LeighM

So I jumped off the ledge and booked our stay at the Poly for the 9 days with the standard dining plan. Got a great deal through Magical Vacation. One question I have for those who have booked with them: Apparently this package doesn't get the Disney special financing with the Disney Visa card. Is that true? Anyone else experience the same thing?

You do not get the 6 month interest free promotion with MVT - only if you go direct through Disney. I think that might be somewhere in the small print. I saw that somewhere and I confirmed with them when I saw it.

Upvote 0

laben594

I personally am not a fan of Poly. We stayed there in 2014 I think and I'm not sure if our expectations were too high, but I don't think so. It wasn't very maintained and I felt like I was in the 1970s whenever we would go to our room. On the opposite side, we have stayed at port orleans several times and LOVED IT. It's great, and I feel like you actually get your money's worth there. Our favorite place to stay as a couple is either Wilderness Lodge or Yacht Club. Have you looked into those two? If your wife is looking for a pool day, there is no better pool than the beach & yacht club

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
You do not get the 6 month interest free promotion with MVT - only if you go direct through Disney. I think that might be somewhere in the small print. I saw that somewhere and I confirmed with them when I saw it.

I was looking in the small print and I couldn't find it anywhere, so I was confused about it. When I talked to the rep at MVT apparently someone got the financing after complaining to visa.

Upvote 0

Greenlawler

I was looking in the small print and I couldn't find it anywhere, so I was confused about it. When I talked to the rep at MVT apparently someone got the financing after complaining to visa.

Just food for thought.....like the poster before I said....you might want to check into other options too.

The Poly is our favorite resort but have you considered split staying it with Boardwalk and saving a few hundred?

MY wife and I have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and Wilderness Lodge, Poly, and Boardwalk are our favorites. The cool thing about Boardwalk is being able to walk into the back of Epcot. Or taking the boat to DHS. This would apply to Yacht/Beach Club too.

I could see a dream scenario where we split our stay and had the best of both worlds, plus it would be easier on the wallet. Disney makes it really easy to switch rooms from our experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom