First Trip as a Couple

GJM724

Hi Everyone,

I am super excited to take my wife to WDW this May 1st-9th. This is the first time we are both going together. I have been to WDW over ten times and she hasn't been since she was a child. We are really excited to take this trip as it will probably be our last one together before we start a family. We have been going back and forth on where to stay. Currently we have had a reservation at the Port Orleans Riverside, but it has been my dream to stay at the Poly. Is the Poly worth it for the additional expense? We plan on doing some nice dinners at Epcot and other places around WDW as well as the Parks. She also wants a nice place to sit by the pool in the afternoons some days. Looking for some input!

Thanks!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you can get a good discount, the Poly would be a great way for you to revisit and to spark her interest level. Otherwise, I think POR is scenic and somewhat romantic.

Of course, the premiere resort pool to enjoy is Stormalong Bay between the Yacht and Beach Clubs. Another advantage there is walking proximity to both Epcot and DHS. Dollarwise, it's about the same or slightly less cost than the Poly. We were just there, and the BC rooms were nice, with understated Disney theming. Look for a good discount...

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak

The Poly can be very romantic. Both pool areas have been completely redone and are very nice. You have some great eating options at Poly and Trader Sam's for some adult beverages. You can walk/ride monorail to GF and ride monorail over to Contemporary for additional options. The GF Spa is also great for a couple's massage. If you could swing the price difference it is worth it IMO. Nothing wrong with POR either though but I think the Poly would be more special for your last trip without little ones.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
The Poly can be very romantic. Both pool areas have been completely redone and are very nice. You have some great eating options at Poly and Trader Sam's for some adult beverages. You can walk/ride monorail to GF and ride monorail over to Contemporary for additional options. The GF Spa is also great for a couple's massage. If you could swing the price difference it is worth it IMO. Nothing wrong with POR either though but I think the Poly would be more special for your last trip without little ones.

Thanks for the input! Do you know if any discounts pop up during that May time frame that might make the price a little closer to POR? My heart says go for it, but still a little taken aback with the cost of the hotel plus dining plan.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Since this trip is going to be the last trip before starting a family, I'd say go all the way. Splurge for the Poly, (discounts or not) have some great dining, do some extras as a couple, pamper yourselves. You wont regret doing it up big because once the kids start coming the expenses build and you might not have the opportunity to treat yourselves like this again until the kids grow up and move out. If you go cheaper, when its over and you look back years from now, youll wish you spent the money. Its only money and you can work a little more to pay back the trip.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
Since this trip is going to be the last trip before starting a family, I'd say go all the way. Splurge for the Poly, (discounts or not) have some great dining, do some extras as a couple, pamper yourselves. You wont regret doing it up big because once the kids start coming the expenses build and you might not have the opportunity to treat yourselves like this again until the kids grow up and move out. If you go cheaper, when its over and you look back years from now, youll wish you spent the money. Its only money and you can work a little more to pay back the trip.

Thanks that is the theory that my wife has as well. Any other extras you can suggest as a couple? Not really into the Spa thing but we are thinking of doing the Spirit of Aloha show.

Upvote 0

MickeyMan36

Thanks for the input! Do you know if any discounts pop up during that May time frame that might make the price a little closer to POR? My heart says go for it, but still a little taken aback with the cost of the hotel plus dining plan.
Poly. If that is where you want to go, it is worth the extra. Having the ability to watch the fireworks on the beach is magical. As for discounts, yes they pop up. If you book now and a discount pops up later, just call and the cast member will adjust the price for you.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

I know people who rent DVC points and they've always had success. It's a great way to visit expensive resorts without breaking the bank toooo much.

But I agree, go big and stay at the Poly. Even if for just a few nights. :) Have a wonderful time!!
We are renting Poly points for our upcoming trip this January. I believe we paid somewhere around $300/night by renting. Since the trip is in May, resorts might be filled up since the 7 month window has already opened up.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
We are renting Poly points for our upcoming trip this January. I believe we paid somewhere around $300/night by renting. Since the trip is in May, resorts might be filled up since the 7 month window has already opened up.

Ahh! Didn't know about the 7 months. I finally got the go ahead from my wife last week so I probably missed my opportunity. I have one of those disney vacation people handling the reservations etc.. so hopefully she can find something for me.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster

I hit the wrong search feature and found rooms available. JUst going back and forth whether $8,000 is worth it for this trip. Hoping that we get a discount later in the year.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

I hit the wrong search feature and found rooms available. JUst going back and forth whether $8,000 is worth it for this trip. Hoping that we get a discount later in the year.
You will be fine booking a room through Disney. What I was talking about was renting Disney Vacation Club points. To do that you either go through an agency that rents points or go through an owner directly. Disney travel agents do not do this.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
You will be fine booking a room through Disney. What I was talking about was renting Disney Vacation Club points. To do that you either go through an agency that rents points or go through an owner directly. Disney travel agents do not do this.

I know what you are talking about. I guess it does save a little money, but I am looking to pay closer to the trip and use my disney visa for some extra points/time to pay.

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Highly recommend going to California Grill for dinner and the fireworks one night. Try and grab a 7:30 reservation and by the end of your meal, the fireworks at MK will start going off. You can watch them from the balconies on top of Contemporary. It's a great night for you guys to dress up a little up, eat fantastic food and drink some wine!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
Highly recommend going to California Grill for dinner and the fireworks one night. Try and grab a 7:30 reservation and by the end of your meal, the fireworks at MK will start going off. You can watch them from the balconies on top of Contemporary. It's a great night for you guys to dress up a little up, eat fantastic food and drink some wine!

Thanks Matt! We have that on our list to do!

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Ya know.....just about any moderate or deluxe resort has a great feel for a couple. Its all about what you want..

The wife and I just started going in 2014 - her first trip (and last one before that) was as a kid, so we stayed at Coronado, and both loved the trip. Many many places besides resorts that have that romantic, couply vibe going.

We ended up dvc members at AKL, and couldn't ask for a better vacation now...we both love it there.

So if Poly is where you want, that's where you should go......and have fun!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
Ya know.....just about any moderate or deluxe resort has a great feel for a couple. Its all about what you want..

The wife and I just started going in 2014 - her first trip (and last one before that) was as a kid, so we stayed at Coronado, and both loved the trip. Many many places besides resorts that have that romantic, couply vibe going.

We ended up dvc members at AKL, and couldn't ask for a better vacation now...we both love it there.

So if Poly is where you want, that's where you should go......and have fun!

Thanks! We will probably wind up staying there. My wife just needs to get me to jump off the ledge with the cost of it.

Also do you think 9 days (Flying in Early the First and Leaving Night on last day) are enough time to do mostly everything across WDW?

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Also do you think 9 days (Flying in Early the First and Leaving Night on last day) are enough time to do mostly everything across WDW?

Hmmmmm....that's loaded question! We go twice a year and this Novembers trip is our 9th...and we still feel like we haven't done everything there is to do there!

As long as its everything YOU want to do...thats what counts

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom