First time with a stroller, theft a problem?

TakeMeThere81

We have taken our Chariot ($500+) stroller to Disney several times. We brought a lock like the PPer said...and at first we locked it to a stationary pole...DO NOT do this! We got a huge lecture from a CM stating that this sort of thing signals a BOMB THREAT and/or can create a FIRE HAZARD (because they can't move it if there were an emergency and the area needed cleared. So if you bring a lock, just lock the wheel to the frame or something. Honestly, if the CM needs to move it, they still can, they just have to drag it somewhat. But a thief is unlikely to want to make the effort to drag it away in order to steal it.

That being said, we have never had a problem with anyone tampering with our stroller at all. No worries that it may get stolen, and we never leave valuables in it.

Another thing you can do is when you park your stroller, park it as far toward the front of the mass of strollers as you can. That way it is tougher to get "picked off".

erinshaneb

We always leave our stroller with no problem...Grab the camera bag (just in case), but never really a problem...For mistaken identity you can just remove your handy dandy Disney luggage tag from the suitcase sitting in the room and put in on the handle of the stroller

Sari8970

I just want to make it clear that I didn't lock mine to a column, someone else did and the case member had to wait for them to come back from the time we left ours to go on rides until we came back and those people still hadn't returned.

We just locked the stroller and the wheels and like someone else said, if they really need to move it they can carry it, but I'm guessing if someone was trying to steal it or pull a scam like saying it was lost property they would look a little suspicious carrying it the entire length of the park.

I recommend the lock. It was like $15 and you just keep it attached to the bar of the stroller and use it when you want/have to.

RobertRaine

I have heard of people soaking a diaper with water, putting it in a plastic shopping bag, and hanging it on the stroller, to deter thieves. :lookaroun
:

ROFLOL: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is the funniest/best idea ever. the only way I could improve on it is to stick a Baby Ruth bar in there. I will have to try that when we are at WDW next time.:lol:

disneygirl1

I have to be honest... I have been coming to Disney with my son since he has been 16 months only, he is now 9 and I only ever had 1 issue with something being taken from my stroller. Now, I have to say it was my own stupidity however that caused this to happen... I left my digital camera on the top of my stroller while we road Goofy's Barnstormer. It was in the cup holder of my DS stroller and I had thought his father grabbed the camera, but he thought I grabbed it. As soon as we realized neither of us had the camera we were about to get on the ride, so as soon as we were thru, I hightailed it to the stroller... The stroller had been moved (this occasionally happens. CM move the strollers around to make more for more) and the camera was gone! :hammer: Long story short, i still left things in my stroller even after this incident, just nothing of value and I never had something of that nature happen to be other then that one time!

sublimesting

I have the prefect place to put a stroller. Just walk up to a CM and ask if they are going to be standing there for awhile. If they are then simply lock it right to aforementioned CM. Doubtful it will be stolen. It may be in the breakroom after your ride but not stolen.

SAV

Luckily we don't need to bring them anymore, but I took the Mickey shaped paint samples from Home Depot, glued 2 of them together with a piece of colorful yarn in between and hung those from the stroller handle. There was no way anyone was going to mistake their stroller for mine. I also tied a grouping of strands right to the handle to mark it.

I too was paranoid the first year going with a stroller, but by the end we just took what was valuable and left it at the rides. Never had an incident.

ml123_9

We haven't had any stroller issues at all. We always bring a bike chain and run it through the wheels and frame plus our backpack that we keep in it. The backpack I lock up with luggage locks and put zipper down in the stroller's basket. I figure if someone wants to steal something, they will have to work for it. Like others have said, do not lock it to anything stationary. Taking a stroller shouldn't be a big problem for you. Just don't leave anything out that someone else might like to have.

polymissy

I've used a stroller on 4 separate trips, and have never had a problem. I use a backpack as a diaper bag,(diapers, wipes, disposable change pads, sippy cups, etc) and leave it in the stroller. It's all stuff that can be replaced if it HAS to be. All of my other valuables stay with me in a small purse that I carry everywhere. Strollers are often relocated by cast members, so don't be concerned if it has been moved.

The towel idea is great! I usually just have a bright colored scarf tied to mine to make it easier to identify.

I can honestly say that WDW is the only place that I've ever been that I feel comfortable parking the stroller, and walking away. I would never do that at the mall or any other theme park I've been to.

Have a great time!

MDinMD

I remember the first time we were there with ours and I was really concerned too. Now, after 5 trips with little ones, we see the sea of strollers and are not bothered. Of course, we dont leave anything pricey in them.
Had to laugh when we were at a local aquarium. We went to park stroller and the employee there asked if we wanted a stroller lock. I guess I looked a little weired at him and he said, you may need it.
Guess the comfortable vibe only exisits in disney.

twinfo3728

I've been 3 times with my son and his stroller and never had a problem. Even accidentally left my bag hanging on the stroller but it was there when we returned along with all of the items inside including cash and my cell phone.
Be sure and mark it with something fun and bright. We go to the craft store and buy a cartoon iron on patch. I iron or sew it on to the seat so my son always knows he's getting in the correct stroller and helps detour anyone who may mistaken it for theirs!

Cynderella

We're going in 10 days with my 1 year old so this will be our first experience in the stroller world. I have a Graco with Pooh & friends on it and I get nervous about someone trying to take it since it's Disney themed. I'm going to put a luggage tag & some ribbons on it.

Batphobic

Never had a problem. I keep valuables in an over-the-shoulder pouch that I keep with me at all times. So the only thing to steal would be the diapers (be my guest) or the stroller itself.

The one thing I'm cautious about is souvenirs my kids get. Oftentimes they are things that you don't want to lug onto a ride with you (big wooden rifle from Frontier Land or something like that). So you have to leave those behind with the stroller. It's actually a big pain... so we usually just don't let our kids get souvenirs until we're about ready to leave, mainly for this reason.

irmonkey

When we were at WDW in September, someone took a small plastic cap off of our stroller. The cap covered where the snack tray would snap in and there were two on the stroller when we got it (brand new about three days before we left for Disney). It was pretty hard to get the other one off so it couldn't have just fallen out on it's own which is what I originally thought had happened. It didn't really bother me as we had a snack tray waiting back at home but still... :)

That said we left a baby sling under the stroller for the duration of the trip and nobody bothered it. Security never had us pull it out to examine, either. ;)

SMS55

I've been to Disney with little ones in the past and I've never had a problem. If you rent a Disney stroller, they'll put your last name on it. if it's yours like other have said, mark it some how. Some of my friends are also starting to go now with little ones and they've never had a problem either. Probably mistaken identity like others have said. I guess when you think about it, since it is for your kids, do you want something where another kid has thrown up in, peed and pooped in?

Mrs.Skellington

We normally go with a large group and have quite a few strollers (normally 3-4). We always park them near each other and have never had anything stolen. I have been know to leave my wallet sitting on the canopy of the stroller. I have also left cameras, video cameras, toys, and big book bags filled with valuables and never a thing missing while we road.
Although one little boy pulled out a pirate sword from the bottom of the stroller while we were going in opposite directions. Thankfully his mother stopped us. Could you imagine my son gets back to the hotel and realizes his Jack Sparrow sword is missing. :lookaroun.....Oh the tragedy. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom